Announcement

Collapse

Host Your Proxy Event on HRW!!!

HRW is the perfect place to host your proxy event with your own forum. Your proxy forum makes it easy to communicate schedules, rules, build info, race results and facilitate communication among participants. Please send a Private Message to "HRWForum" to get started.
See more
See less

3DP Group 7 Proxy 2021 Rules

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3DP Group 7 Proxy 2021 Rules

Cars won't be due until April 2021, hence the title.

The purpose of this proxy is to promote use of your own home printer to build many components of a running slot car. In this case in the historic CanAm / Group7 category, in 1/32 scale.

Proposed rules are as follows:
    ​​​​​
    Body: Must be a Group 7 / CanAm body from 1966 - 1974. Must be 3D printed on your printer (don't send it to Shapeways). Body width must be close (within 2mm) to 1/32 scale, maximum. If you want to put 3DP flares on it, provide a historic photo supporting your build (some backmarker cars did have some pretty wild flares as the tires expanded). You must include proper motor detail printed on your own printer (no empty holes without stacks). Bonus concours points for suspension details printed on your own printer.

Finishing: Historic or fantasy liveries are acceptable. Vac formed glass is acceptable but not required. 3D driver bust (head/shoulders/arms) is a minimum. No photo or vac form interiors. Additional concours points for full interiors if desired.

Chassis: Must be 3DP printed on your own printer. NO COMMERCIAL CHASSIS. Podded and non-podded are OK, AW/SW/IL all OK. Commercial pods may be used. Body mounts must be through-chassis screw, tube in tube, or snap on pin/socket (Slot.It HRS-type system), no pin/screw -through-body mounts or Velcro/tape.

Motor: 21.5K @ 12V as stated by the manufacturer (examples: Piranha, Slot.It orange can, Flat 6) maximum. 18K motors are acceptable, and may be faster / more consistent on some of the shorter tracks.

Gearing: Open

Guide: Prefer 3DP self-printed although commercial guides will be accepted.

Wheels: Plastic/aluminum are acceptable. No blank insert wheels. Bonus points for 3DP inserts and wheels provided they are printed on your own printer.

Tires: Silicone slip-on rear tires. All tires must fit under / inside the bodywork and cannot be visible from above. Front tires can be coated to reduce grip. No o-ring or narrowed/heavily profiled front tires. Must have a minimum of 1 mm clearance under the gear.

Tracks:. I will put up a separate thread, but we have three we will run here in Minnesota (Carrera, Scalextric, and MDF/copper tape). Additional tracks are possible as Vlad has offered to host a round.

Entry cost depends on the number of rounds, but will be in alignment with other similar proxies.

Come Race at The Trace!
    Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

Like a bass I’m lookin but havn’t bit yet just pondering options and time but I like the idea

Comment

Well come on in, the water is fine.

Worst case is you have a nice 3DP car that you can't get RTR.
      Come Race at The Trace!

Comment

I've never used silicone tyres, what's the best advice for these please?

Comment

• cj74
          cj74 commented
          Editing a comment
          I highly recommend QuckSlicks. They are the tires of choice for the Michigan 24 Hr race. There is a proxy currently underway using them. We usually start with a 40/60 (front / rear) weight distribution and tube fin there. I have a Slot It Mercedes DTM in that proxy running a piranha in-line configuration weighing in at 82.4 grams (35/47.4 weight distribution)

I have a few questions please:

1. How will it be established that the parts required to be printed at home were actually printed at home by each entrant? And does that therefore limit this proxy only to those who actually posses a printer and exclude those who have access to a home printer (owned by a friend for example)?

2. If there are bonus Concours points for suspension detail on what are essentially closed-wheel cars, does that mean the Concours judging will be looking at the underside of the cars as well? And will there be points for other aspects of the chassis design/build?

3. May I please have a clarification of what "slip-on" means in relation to the rear tires? Does that mean they cannot be glued to the wheels? Or does it mean they must literally slip on (and therefore slip off) without retention by the wheel?

Thanks!
        Dennis Samson

Scratchbuilding is life
        Life is scratchbuilt

Comment

• chappyman66
          chappyman66 commented
          Editing a comment
          Dennis, files are inbound to you.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to enter this proxy, as I do not have a printer, and, am unlikely to get one soon/in time.

A shame, as I would like to enter, if for no other reason than all the folks posting here , appear to know how to spell Concours !! ........

Cheers
        Chris Walker
        Last edited by chrisguyw; November 14, 2020, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Tyres: what's the max width allowed?

Comment

[QUOTE=Gascarnut;n63274]I have a few questions please:

1) No one is going to visit the printer while it's running. If you want to print some bodies and chassis for others, I am not going to object. The point is to get folks using their printers. The point is to NOT go to Shapeways or other commercial outlets which is why commercial chassis are not allowed.

2) Concours for printed suspension detail is more about shocks/coils/framing that are visible on some cars (think Fly Porsche or Chevron). Primarily it's about not leaving a big open space at the rear if the real cars have something visible. It's not about disassembly of the car to see pod mounting details. Although.....I am interested in seeing Alexis's system as it intrigues me.....but that's a side note.

3) Slip-on silicone tires is an attempt to simplify tire questions for newer builders. I don't intend to dismount tires to verify. If you size the tires correctly for the wheels, it won't be necessary to glue them. Standard wheels with center rib are fine (dual ribbed or flanged is ok too as long as slip-on silicone tires are available for them). Make sense?
            Come Race at The Trace!

Comment

Originally posted by chrisguyw View Post
              Unfortunately, I will not be able to enter this proxy, as I do not have a printer, and, am unlikely to get one soon/in time.

A shame, as I would like to enter, if for no other reason than all the folks posting here , appear to know how to spell Concours !! ........

Cheers
              Chris Walker
              Chris, I happen to know you have an eligible body......

Thanks for the concours compliment, my spelling is better than my car finish.......
              Come Race at The Trace!

Comment

• chrisguyw
                chrisguyw commented
                Editing a comment
                I do have an eligible body (thank you ), but, I did not produce it, which according to the rules, I must. Similarly, I will not be able to produce my own chassis or other necessary bits, and even if I could use 3d bits from other folks, I prefer to build my own cars,...particularly for proxies.

Originally posted by Kevan View Post
              Tyres: what's the max width allowed?
              Tires should be proportional to the wheels and reasonably "scale".....point being, don't use wide modern F1 wheels and tires. You will probably find that you are limited by body width unless you go inline. We are trying to encourage printer use and modeling, not creative rule interpretation. Fair enough?
              Come Race at The Trace!

Comment

I was after guidance not creative rule interpretation.
                If all the cars are going to be different I presume you'll have a list of running gear sizes and uses to enable scrutineering.

Comment

Would home made silicon tires be aloud or other brands of silicone be aloud .

Comment

• chappyman66
                    chappyman66 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Rastas, the rules call for slip on silicone tires. If you want to make your own I suppose that's possible but they need to be silicone not urethane. I made tires for years but don't anymore. The idea was for people to be able to buy slip on tires that will grip well and simplify that portion of the build process. There are several tire makers.

Just checking the rules again concerning guides and notice scaley track is mentioned. This means the blade will need cutting down, which type of scaley track are we talking about?

Comment

• chappyman66
                    chappyman66 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would recommend rounding the front of the guide. I will get more details on the type of track.

Is there a central location one can go to find a list of links to qualifying models for bodies, chassis, and guides?

Comment

Here is the list to date!

There are quite a number of files and liveries available:
                    McLaren Elva
                    March 707
                    Ferrari 350 CanAm
                    Ferrari 712
                    Ferrari 712 NART
                    Lola T163 (3 versions)
                    Lola T260
                    BRM P154
                    BRM P167
                    Chaparral 2H and 2J (these are inexpensive but paid files)
                    Toyota 7
                    Nissan R382
                    Shadow Mk1 (three versions)
                    Shadow MkII
                    Shadow DN4
                    HonkerII
                    Ti22 (later version)
                    Porsche 917-10 (first version)
                    McKee Mk14

Comment

• Racer1h
                      Racer1h commented
                      Editing a comment
                      also an adjustable chassis set of files i can send you (takes slot it pods)
                  Working...
                  X
                  UA-149438709-1