Announcement

Collapse

SHOW YOUR SLOT CAR TRACK!

Post a Description and Photos of YOUR Home Layout.
See more
See less

Slow areas - a way to track down the problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flounder
    replied
    Thanks for all of the feedback - I'll see if I can't make the track run like it used to!

Leave a comment:

• indybob008
    replied
    I would never put copper tape over stainless steel rail like Carrera track. Copper tarnishes and gets dity after a while but Stainless Steel never rust or goes bad. Plus when you ever want to change your track the copper tape is a nightmare. If your wiring is done and track well connected and proper jumpers' their should not be any reason t oever use copper tape/

Leave a comment:

• Dogsbody
    replied
    Put conductive copper tape over the rails. Job done.

Leave a comment:

• RichD
    replied
    Jumpers are not a total solution if you have a track with bad joints. If you want to troubleshoot the joints you should first disconnect the jumpers. As drvanski indicated you will need to disconnect the last track section. To take voltage measurements you will have to strap down the trigger of the controller for one lane and put a car with something under the back to get the rear wheels off of the track on the last section. That is to put a load on the circuit, without a load voltage measurements will be nearly meaningless. Possibly the car's motor will not run on that last section, if not you will have to back it up until it does. Now you can take voltage measurements starting with the first section. You could find a large voltage drop, but a number of small voltage drops would add up to a larger one. Fix the joints as you go along. When you finish one lane switch to the next one.
    My club used to race cars with very powerful traction magnets, you could see the track flexing when a car went by and all of that flexing would cause the joints to go bad as time went by. The track owners started to get tired of troubleshooting, so we eventually eased off on the magnets.

Leave a comment:

• chappyman66
    replied
    Usually the problem is some dirt or a bent connector making a weak connection. Plastic track sections move when temperature changes (not sure where your track is located) and that can cause issues.
    You can take a volt meter around to each and every joint in the track, and find the joints that have a little resistance. Then work on those joints to make them more firm or improve contact. Dr Van's suggestion is a good one.
    If the layout is reasonably permanent, you can also get copper tape with conductive adhesive and tape the rails, which will eliminate the problem.

Maybe Racer1h will chime in...he did a ton of work on his track and the power is MUCH more consistent now.

Leave a comment:

• Slotspeed
    replied
    I like drvanski's suggestion, but the power taps might make it not so simple. I have never tried this but perhaps a load resistor with a volt meter across it could be used to test for voltage drop on each track section (would probably first try 100ohm 10W resistor... will give a relative indication but not an exact one) Of course for analog you would have to hold the trigger down.

Leave a comment:

• Flounder
    replied
    It is a Ninco analog track (for now - would like to make it digital). Dr. Van - I'll give that a try.

Leave a comment:

• drvanski
    replied
    If it's plastic track, take out the last section before the power base. Run the car around the track in each lane. It will stop where the connection is bad.

Leave a comment:

• BRS Hobbies
    replied
    Is it an analog or digital track?

Leave a comment:

• Flounder
    started a topic Slow areas - a way to track down the problem?

Slow areas - a way to track down the problem?

I've got a couple of areas - one in each lane - where one lane performs better than the other. I have run power taps, but that doesn't seem to help. Is there a way to track down the issue?

Thanks in advance...
Working...
X
UA-149438709-1