1/32 Vintage Asphalt Modified Coupe 3D Printed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/32 Vintage Asphalt Modified Coupe 3D Printed

Six years ago to this very day, January 23, 2015, I started a thread on a 3D project I was working on - back then 3D was all a lot newer and cutting edge, and it was my first attempt at a 3D modeled slot car.

I got it almost done and then put it down - I put it down for all the reasons - real work, other projects, other hobbies, real life - all that stuff. And then time flies - for all the reasons.

Some folks would ask about about it from time to time. A few months back I got reminded about it and realized I have to finish this thing.

It was a particular asphalt modified that ran locally - a 30s era coupe that ran in the late 60s and 70s.

Anyway I will try to bring it up to date and maybe repost some of the build thread info from the original six year old post as well.

1/32 VINTAGE ASPHALT MODIFIED COUPE 3D -

Click image for larger version  Name:	werk2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.6 KB ID:	77074

I have gone back in and added/modeled a Big Block Chevy with carb and air cleaner, cross flow radiator, fuel cell, and exhaust, a proper driver, steering wheel, interior panel, plus wheels and tires.

I will update the thread with some of the progress pics from 2015 and beyond along with newer updates.

But the old project is finally moving again.

NYMODIFIEDS.COM

NOW we’re talking I like that
    Dave
    Peterborough Ont
    CANADA

Comment

Cool. See it through to the finish!
      Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA
      Facebook-
      https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100018917899105
      YouTube-
      https://youtube.com/channel/UCB2327w8u_O8RjKeY4kFonQ

Comment

That looks a lot like Bugs Stevens' old car. The car still exists and Polecat has decals for it and many other cars from that time.

Comment

You do really nice work man,
          I am looking forward to seeing this!
          Cheers,
          Paul

Comment

Pretty cool......now get it on (and off!) the plate!
            Come Race at The Trace!
            Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
            https://www.thingiverse.com/chappyman66/designs

Comment

Can't wait to see the finished product!

Comment

Let's git'r done
                -Harry

Comment

Thanks for the interest and good word. I can't believe I haven't finished this, or that I let it go dormant for so long - It was a pretty cool project. I will try to post up shots of the process and the progress. But yes, I have turned laps with the prototype car, so it actually exists in the "real world" now!

RichD: I think so - the "Wood Chopper Coupe" looks to be the same 1935 Chevy 'Master' coupe body shell as the car I have modeled. These older Modifieds were cut up a lot, so sometimes it is hard to pin down the make, model, and year precisely. In the 1935 Chevy coupe you can see the "rain gutter shape" that goes over only the door window, while the 1937 Chevy coupe had that "rain gutter shape" extend further over the top of the "opera" window, and I think the '35 is ever so slightly more compact.

The car I am modeling here is the "Offset Coupe" - Charlie Jarzombek's modified. It is pretty wild as it positioned the big heavy big block offset, asymmetrically to the left side. This layout forced the driver to drive from the right side of the car.

BTW, I offer decals for the Bugs' #15 Wood Chopper Coupe - if anyone has to build a slot car replica of that car in your pic; I have them.

I actually have a bunch of modified decal sets (more than I show on the website) that I have drawn up for local underground slot car racers.

Here is a low-res shot of the decal sheet:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Decal_15_Woodchopper_coupe_124.jpg
Views:	1024
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	77311

NYMODIFIEDS.COM

Comment

Here is some progress, really more like process, on the Big Block Chevy - a piece of the 3D puzzle that was missing when I put the project down . . .

Basically I drew up the engine from scratch. One technique I use is to chase down pics of 'gaskets' from the parts books - a really good way to get the right shapes and size relationship between the parts.

So I would start with something like a valve cover gasket, and draw it out as line art. There were so many of the M/T valve covers used at that time - it was like part of the scene.

MICKEY THOMPSON IN 2D -

Name:	vc2d.jpg
Views:	975
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	77319

You will also see the piston bores for reference - you have to hang the model on something, so bore spacing and bore diameters (for say a 454 Chevy) is a pretty good scaffold. Also picking units that you can easily keep and calculate in your mind as you work is helpful.

After that, the flat art is brought into 3D, where the shapes are extruded through space, or the profiles spun on a lathe to sweep out volumes that you would like, or other transformations are applied.

MICKEY THOMPSON IN 3D -

Name:	vc.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	77320

Have to find the balance between too much detail and too little - it is only a 1/32 or 1/24 engine after all! Sometimes it is nice to "over detail" a little so you can use it for other unknown future projects, like if one day you come to the hard realization you will need a 1/12 scale modified.

VINTAGE BIG BLOCK CHEVY FOR THE OFFSET COUPE -

Name:	Motor1.jpg
Views:	983
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	77321

It isn't perfect, as it was built for a smallish model car. You could approach this with the seriousness of a cad programer of engineer and have the thing caliper out and be scale correct - I mean the tools are out there.

But for me this should work for the kinds of builds I am fooling with - so more ART and ARTIFICE, than computer milling specs.

NYMODIFIEDS.COM

Comment

Oh wow that’s beyond nice hope it prints as purdy
                      Dave
                      Peterborough Ont
                      CANADA

Comment

Looks very good to me
                        Arrold Martin
                        Nashville TN

Comment

Originally posted by 4424ever View Post
                          Oh wow that’s beyond nice hope it prints as purdy
                          Thanks! I have printed these - I keep saying these are *real* now but I realize I have only been posting 'virtual' 3D model images . . .

I made up another version (based off of the carbureted 3D model I posted earlier) of the BBC for the SUPERMODIFIEDS. This one has an injected setup like they run on the ISMA Oswego-style Supers.

When I first looked at the printed master I was like "I don't deserve things this nice" - it is really pretty well detailed.

TWO NEW MASTERS -

Name:	454_MT_injected.jpg
Views:	946
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	77497

One Mickey Thompson valve cover and one (more modern) plain valve cover for use with an engine builder's decal.

3D drawn and modeled from scratch - pretty good detail for a slot car - check out the finned valley cover fuel injection manifold distribution block stuff!

I think any visible "layer" lines will be covered by paint and will be so small in scale it will actually read to the eye like a cast engine block or a little grime.

The motor will be mounted at a canted-angle and the exhaust stubs will likely be trimmed when used on the extreme left side of the Super Modified.

NYMODIFIEDS.COM

Comment

Looking good I like the M/T valve covers. I had a set on my souped up 318 Mopar.
                            Last edited by arroldn; January 25, 2021, 10:21 AM.
                            Arrold Martin
                            Nashville TN

Comment

I think I’m in love
                              Dave
                              Peterborough Ont
                              CANADA

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              UA-149438709-1