Continued..

By: Scooter Henson

THE CONSOLATION RACE FINAL LAPS

So Possum wuz behind the 8 ball as the restart looked like this:

#1 Bivens
    #16 Henry
    #9 Bayer
    #48 Jones

Startin' from dead last... with only a handful of laps to go. Possum was in trouble!

Inside that #48 car, ol' Possum tightened his belt... an' with an Ozark determination... readied himself fer the restart comin' out of Turn 4. He wuz already shovin' on the butt end of Bayer!

The flag flew fer the restart... and all us race fans there that night watched in awe at the racin' before us! The stands were on their feet as Possum started slicedin' n' dicin' through the field! A few times the butt end of his #48 car wouldn't be in the clear when he'd cut in front of a car fer the curve an' he'd go into the curve with the car behind shovin' on him and his butt end still hangin' out!! But he'd gather it up on comin' out'a the curve an' kept the hammer down! Within two laps Possum took the lead an' the stands went nuts! They all know'd they'd seen some sure 'nuf racin'! Next time around the checker's flew an' the Consie was over: Possum had done it! He'd recovered from a terrible situation and put himself into the Feature for a shoot out with Flywheel!

It don't git no better 'n that!

(Editors note: Keep in mind the Consolation race was comprised of autonomous cars ONLY. I had nothing to do with the racing on the track! I only manned the start/stop button and that was IT. All the action was the work of the auto-cars! I tell you, sometimes it's as much fun to watch an auto-race as it is being in it!)

So the Consolation was over an' now the time had come fer the Feature. During the intermission that Consie was bein' talked about all through the stands... in the line at the Snack Shack... in the pits... EVERYBODY wuz talkin' 'bout what a race they'd just seen!

Once again, Possum wuz in the drivers seat of the points... but Flywheel wuz gonna' see what could be done 'bout that come green flag time in the Feature!

THE FINAL FEATURE RACE OF THE SEASON

The stage wuz all set for a humdinger of a final Feature for the season. The inverted startin' line up looked like this:

#16 Henry
    #90 Fanshaw *
    #26 Bailenhauser
    #48 Jones

(* = Player car)

Comin' out of Turn 4 the green flag waved an' immediately Buck tucked his #90 in behind the #16 car. It was tit fer tat for a bit an' then Buck made his move on Henry an' got to the inside comin' down the front stretch. Henry would have none of that an' tried to close the door on ol' Buck... and the two got together an' ended up spinnin' into the curve... all the while Flywheel n' Possum motored right on by the two!

The restart looked like this:

#26 Bailenhauser
    #48 Jones
    #16 Henry
    #90 Fanshaw

When the restart green flew... Flywheel n' Possum checked out an' Buck n' Big John fell to battlin' behind 'em. In a few laps, Buck took a shot at takin' the inside and this time it worked, so he got past Henry for third place. Up front, Flywheel n' Possum wuz a bangin' fenders n' usin' the chrome horn freely! Then disaster hits... Flywheel n' Possum got together goin' into Turn 3 an' they both went to the fence as Fanshaw and Henry motored by on the inside on their way to the yellow! Ol' Buck moved into the lead!

The restart put 'em lined up like this:

#90 Fanshaw
    #16 Henry
    #48 Jones
    #26 Bailenhauser

And here they are headed for the green...

When the flag fell, Buck held the inside into Turn 1 as did all the others... comin' out of Turn 2 the shufflin' begin with Buck makin' a bauble an' Henry to the outside... comin' down the front stretch Henry tried to cut in front of Buck an' it didn't work... Henry slid off toward the fence an' Buck went to the infield! This put the restart lookin' like this:

#48 Jones
    #26 Bailenhauser
    #16 Henry

#90 Fanshaw

As you kin'' see, that put Jones to the front! He's doin' it again! Somehow all-season long, it seems ol' Possum finds a way to git to the front an' root himself into a good points position!

Anyway, the green came out... an' away they all went like blazes. Us fans could all tell by the way's they's bangin' around that SOMETHIN' was gonna' have to give... an' shore 'nuf it did... Flywheel got under Possum goin' into Turn 1, but Possum would have nothin' of that, an' they got together. When the slidin' was done it was Possum up against the fence an' Flywheel in the infield.

ANOTHER restart! This time 'round it looked like this:

#16 Henry
    #90 Fanshaw
    #26 Bailenhauser
    #48 Jones

The green in the air an' it was off to the races fer shore! Fanshaw got under Henry to move into first... and from out of nowhere Jones was poundin' on Fanshaw for the lead! They's all runnin' in a jam goin' into Turn 1 an' it all broke loose! Fanshaw n' Jones got together... Henry tried to avoid it an' got into Flywheel... but Flywheel stayed cool and motored past it all to get to the yellow in first place!

Boy... THAT shore shook up the runnin' order! On the restart it looked like this:

#26 Bailenhauser
    #90 Fanshaw
    #16 Henry
    #48 Jones

BUT... the biggest thing wuz the laps! They's only a couple laps left to be run!

Comin' out of Turn 4 the green waved an' the pack flew down the front stretch... Fanshaw stayed tucked in behind Flywheel an Possum wuz pushin' Henry into the curve. Headin' into to Turn 3 Flywheel slid high an' Fanshaw tucked under him. Henry was holdin' the inside protectin' himself from Possum and they roared down to the white flag Fanshaw held his line and was nearly clear of Flywheel, but Flywheel nearly took Buck's rear bumper off he as he cut in behind Fanshaw an' went to hammerin on it into Turn 1. Henry was holdin' off Possum. When the checkered flag flew, here was the finishin' order:

#90 Fanshaw
    #26 Bailenhauser
    #16 Henry
    #48 Jones

What an up an' down race that wuz! Seems like all of them took turns leading! There at the last Ol' Possum had gone from first to worst... and now it was over!

All that was left was fer the points to get tallied up to see who the new Champion would be!

Too be continued...
    Andre Ming
    Poteau, OK

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	HV_Season3.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	125224
      Andre Ming
      Poteau, OK

Comment

EDITOR'S NOTES:

As I figured the points it became apparent that all Possum had to do was make the Feature and no one could better his point lead. SO, even though I didn't realize it at the time, the Season was actually decided as soon as Possum made the Feature.

I will have to say that Flywheel gave it a good shot and only finished 7 points behind Possum... but Possum making the Feature sealed the season for Possum.

I enjoyed helping Fanshaw make a respectable showing on the season by seeing him advance to third, and only 14 points down from Possum. In all, it was a really fun season as I continue to learn more about refining this concept.

GIVE A WAYS AND TAKE A WAYS...

Obviously, my idea is working. For that I'm thrilled. Surprisingly, I have discovered that it's as much fun to watch an autonomous race as it is to be racing among them! There are some aspects of my concept that I'm pondering. For example:

* I'm not so sure that points need to be given for ALL places in the Feature? Should last place be a non-point position? I'm pretty sure THAT change would alone would have altered the outcome of this season. I think had that been in place, #26 Flywheel would have won the Championship. However, how much that would have changed the past races... perhaps this is moot?

* I've started making notes as a race progresses (during an power interruption after an incident). However, I'm not doing too good at it! Sometimes my notes don't match the photos!! Seeing as typing up a "racing report" is part of the fun, I want to get better at remembering the action and coordinating the running report with the photos.

* Like it or not, I have to extrapolate a description of some of the action, for I'm not able to see exactly what happened all the time. Often times when I'm in the race driving the Player Car, I haven't a clue how some of the wrecks happened because I'm focused on my immediate concern: Driving!

* Unbelievable how the auto-cars find ways to really have some tangles! It was amazing to watch the #48 car climb up onto the hood of the #9 car and then get dumped off it as the #9 was going down the front stretch! Had this not been an race of all-autonomous cars, I wouldn't have ever figured out what had happened. BUT, I saw it myself so I knew what happened (because I watched it unfold!)... but still don't have a clue how it happened.

TROPHY DASH Race:

* I have re-discovered that the dirt races of old I used to watch had a "Trophy Dash" before the Consolation race. However, I do NOT have a clue what the purpose of that race was. Can any of you enlighten me? Perhaps this is something I would want to incorporate into a "night" of racing?

All fer now!

Andre Ming
        Poteau, OK

Comment

HOOTERVILLE SPEEDWAY NEWS

By: Scooter Henson

SILLY SEASON IS HERE!

Yup, you kin' tell Silly Season has arrived for Hooterville Speedway! Lots of gossipin' n' rumors are a flyin' 'bout changes in the wind. Here's a few yer favorite reporter has unearthed fer 'ya...

* Rumor is there's several cars in the makin' fer the next Season. Details ain't surfaced yet, but I've heard tell they's some Ford's on the way! Chevy's had a strangle-hold on the racin' so fur... so this ought to be good!

* Flywheel Bailenhauser may be leavin' the #26 car.

* Some of them new cars bein' made is bein' made by drivers that's been racin' at other tracks... some from over in Oklahoma! They's heard of the good pay outs here at Hooterville and figure it ought to be easy pickens fer 'em. We'll see on that!

Ol' Scooter'll keep tabs on all this an' you kin rest assured I'll git to the bottom of 'em and find out what the scoop is! When I do... you'ins'll be the first ta know!

Talk to y'all race fans later!

Scooter
          Andre Ming
          Poteau, OK

Comment

I think the Trophy Dash is for the fastest cars.

Comment

At some dirt tracks I used to attend they had what was called a Dash for Cash. It was for the heat winners plus maybe the top guy in points to have an all out short race just among themselves. Usually just 4 laps in length inverted by standings. Every car made a little bit of money, usually put up by a major track sponsor, so it was good advertising as well as good close racing.

As for race reporting I think the key is get the results right and keep it exciting. Details that don't effect the outcome or stand out may not be important. As for being able to remember what happened consider using a digital recorder. New ones are about the size of a small phone and record hundreds of hours of audio. I think I got mine at Staples but mostly anyplace with small electronics should have them. Apps are available to do this on cell phones and most computers have programs to do it.

Comment

Trophy Dash/Dash For Cash...

Ah hah! I get it now. Fastest cars in that one. (Heat winners would be perfect.) Once I get to the point I have more heats than 2, I can add a "Trophy Dash" or "Dash For Cash" to the night's program.

Race Reports:

Good tips, slot. Yeah, I need to figure something out. I enjoy writing up the race reports, but I would like to come up with a better way of making notes/etc in an effort to improve the end product.

All fer now!
                Andre Ming
                Poteau, OK

Comment

HOOTERVILLE SPEEDWAY NEWS

By Scooter Henson

TV CREW WUZ ON HAND!

Yup, you's read right. Turns out a TV crew from the huge town of Fort Smith came on out to Hooterville Speedway an' shot some footage of the last night of racing! Why, they done aired it on their Nightly News!

Who'd a thought Hooterville Speedway would be on the news?? Now ain't that a'goin!

Scooter
                  Andre Ming
                  Poteau, OK

Comment

• TuscoTodd
                    TuscoTodd commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Go-go pack racing! 😁

It has been a while since there was an update from Hooterville!
                  Kevin T
                  London Ky

Comment

Hi Kevin!

Thanks for your interest!

Hooterville Speedway is closed for the season. You can read about in over at my "SALVAGED" thread, posts #115 and #117:

https://www.hrwforum.com/forum/hrw-a...ge8#post127808

Andre

Andre Ming
                    Poteau, OK

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    UA-149438709-1