X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooterville Speedway Doin's!!

Hooterville Speedway Racin' News

By Scooter Henson

It wuz once agin an' action packed night of racin' at Hooterville Speedway. All the slammin' n bangin' the boys was a'doin' durin' the heats and Feature kept the track crews busier than a three-legged dog on hot asphalt. We had one of them photographers from a nearby town that showed up to take pictures fer the newspaper he worked fer. I reckon' Hooterville Speedway is gettin' to be well knowed out here in the hills of Arkansas.

First thing that photographer done wuz clumbed up the hillside overlooking the Speedway an' shot this 'un:

Click image for larger version  Name:	HootervilleSpeedway.jpg Views:	121 Size:	255.1 KB ID:	122153

As you kin see, the track owner, Esa Blohardt, had some makeshift guardrails put up to try to keep them boys from divin' over the embankment like they's a'doin last race night. Blohardt is hopin' the materials will git delivered for the sure'nuf guard rails before the next race night.

A good gaggle of drivers showed up for a full night of racin', such as the likes of "Smokey" Bayer, "Coondog" Bivens, "Big John" Henry, Buck Fanshaw, along with all the rest of the regulars.

Things started hoppin' right quick once the flag fell fer the first heat. Just a handful of laps in, here we see "Smokey" Bayer on his nose almost over the embankment after him an' "Big John" Henry got together as they's slammin' into Turn 1.

Click image for larger version  Name:	092121a.jpg Views:	118 Size:	184.7 KB ID:	122154

Ol' Smokey was fine an' dandy, though, with nary a scratch. Here he's out of the car an' talkin' to one of the track crew guys as they's waitin' fer the tow truck to come pull Smokey's car out of the ditch. Buck Fanshaw put in a fine run to take Heat 1.

Click image for larger version  Name:	092121b.jpg Views:	118 Size:	169.6 KB ID:	122155

Up next is a pic of the cars getting lined up for the start of Heat 2.

Click image for larger version  Name:	092121c.jpg Views:	117 Size:	155.2 KB ID:	122156

It got plum wild on the back stretch as three cars got together with the #9 car ending up on its side!

Click image for larger version  Name:	092121d.jpg Views:	119 Size:	125.6 KB ID:	122157

An' here's a pic of track crewman "Chief" Mayhall linin' 'em up for the restart. Coondog Bivens went on to take Heat 2.

Click image for larger version  Name:	092121e.jpg Views:	117 Size:	123.9 KB ID:	122158

Heat 3 was a 'nuther wild one. 'Bout 4 laps in three of 'em tangled and this wuz the result:

Click image for larger version  Name:	092121f.jpg Views:	117 Size:	200.5 KB ID:	122159

Once agin, though, none of them boys had a scratch on 'em. Heat 4 started off with some mighty good racin' for several laps but when it come undone it shore 'nuf came undone! Two cars went just a'sailin' off into the ditch! Here's a picture shortly after the dust had settled. Once more, they's all jist fine, though.

Click image for larger version  Name:	092121g.jpg Views:	114 Size:	162.6 KB ID:	122160

Eventually it was time fer the Feature race. It went pretty good, but a couple of 'em did manage to get tangled up comin' out of Turn 2 and put 'em into the embankment. Here's a pic the photographer shot right as they's come to stop:

Click image for larger version  Name:	092121h.jpg Views:	116 Size:	176.8 KB ID:	122161

As wuz the case all night, they's fine, though.

Smokey Bayer took the Feature win for this race night.

In all it wuz another of them wild n' crazy night's of racin' that Hooterville Speedway is gettin' knowed fer.

All fer this 'un!

Scooter
    Last edited by LAMing; October 5, 2021, 07:15 PM.
    Andre Ming
    Poteau, OK

Great pictures and racing summary!
    Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Where in Arkansas?
      Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA
      Facebook-
      https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100018917899105
      YouTube-
      https://youtube.com/channel/UCB2327w8u_O8RjKeY4kFonQ

Comment

Looks like a hoot, the spectators would have been going wild.
        Brad
        Ayton, ON Canada

Comment

Well howdy y'all!

Good to see Hooteville's Speedway's official Racin' Newsletter is bein' read! Lemme' yap back at 'cha an' answer yer questions n' stuff...

TuscoTodd:

Well thank ye kindly. Them nice word's is 'preciated!

War Eagle:

We're so fer back in the sticks it takes sunlight a while to find us!

Brad T:

It was more fun than a cat with tape on it's butt! And yup, them spectators lapped it up like a hound dog lappin' gravy!

Much thanks for you'ins makin' like frog an' hoppin' right in!

Scooter
          Andre Ming
          Poteau, OK

Comment

Sticks?! Do you know where War Eagle River is?!
            Facebook-
            YouTube-

Comment

I know exactly wheres War Eagle is in Arkansas. I've been there a few times when we's lived in Huntsville, Arkansas*. Question is, do you know where War Eagle, Arkansas is?

Scooter

(* Factual.)
              Andre Ming
              Poteau, OK

Comment

I know exactly where it is. Jump in the river at the Mill, go down stream 1.5 miles, look to your right and you’ll see my farm!
                Facebook-
                YouTube-

Comment

Scooter's out in the logging woods and asked me to step in here.. He had this he wanted to say..

Small world!

We no longer live in Huntsville, and am seldom in that area now. If'n we ever git back up there, maybe we kin look you up!

His Huntsville years would have been from about October of 1986 to May of 1990. While there, he worked a second job up at Eureka Springs for the Eureka Springs & North Arkansas RR running steam engines and hauling passengers. Great times. He and his family loved living in the region.

Andre
                  Andre Ming
                  Poteau, OK

Comment

• War Eagle River
                    War Eagle River commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We go back and forth several times a year from here to there. More here than there as we’ve gotten older. Will be there in a few weeks to stick a deer or two, and do some house maintenance. Then again in January for a short stint and Winterfest at HRW. Miss not having any neighbors.

• LAMing
                    LAMing commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Understood. Florida is a hot spot for retirement and seasonal stays, apparently.

Winterfest? Und vat isdt Vinterfest?

Neighbors: My folks wanted to get back to their Arkansas roots and moved me out of the KC area when I was 16. In Jan of '69 we moved atop Black Jack Ridge (some call it Black Jack Mountain) over near Abbott, AR, where it seemed the population was 8 hardy souls and two blue-tick hounds. (LOL!) Our nearest neighbor was 1/2 mile away! Took me all of one or two weeks to love country living. Loved it ever since. Where we have settled-in for the remainder of our lives is a rather small town of 8500 souls on the OK side of the border. The town size and location is a good compromise. (We're in close proximity to nice bike riding in pine-covered mountains.) Also, fortunately, our home is about 5-10 minutes from anywhere in Poteau, however our 1.3 acre wooded place has a "country" feel that we love. Life is good!

• War Eagle River
                    Editing a comment
                    HRW Winterfest. Its at HRW headquarters in Dixon, MO.
                    https://www.hrwforum.com/forum/proxy...-32-guidelines

Cool write up and pictures!!
                  Grew up in and around Springdale and Lowell Arkansas.Man I miss those rivers and streams....
                  Rusty
                  Humboldt ,out in the country in west Tn...

Comment

Thank ye kindly, Rusty!

Yes sir... part of the good things 'bout livin' in this region is the rivers n' streams... an' the mountains. Love the mountains.

Scooter
                    Andre Ming
                    Poteau, OK

Comment

Where are the girls from " Petticoat Junction " ? They lived in Hooterville didn't they ?

Comment

In Memphis we used to say that if it wasn't for Arkansas, we wouldn't know what mountains or rivers looked like. The Mississippi is huge and fascinating but it is so big it isn't what rivers look like. Every summer, a great many of us between 20 and 30 would trek to Arkansas for canoeing, climbing, spelunking (I hate caves!), and all kinds of fun outdoor stuff.

Something strange in the air in Arkansas. Towns and places like War Eagle, Eighty-four, Rivendel, Marked Tree, Little Rock, and dozens of others I can't remember just now. Of course, right across the river is Hot Coffee and Cold Water, Mississippi, on the same highway, just down the road from each other and Sugar Ditch, Panther Burns... Maybe we're all a little weird in the area...
                        Last edited by waaytoomuchintothis; September 22, 2021, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Part of my Ex,s family lived in Arkansas , Mountain View - Timbo area . Was nice to visit every now and then

Comment

Fathead:

Petticoat Jct's just down the tracks a ways. Purdy girl's we got. One of the purdiest around is prob'ly Ida Mae Mackelhaney, but she's somethin' else: Hot tempered . And if'n you git into with her, can be like cornerin' a wildcat. When Ida Mae's riled up, she's slingin' her arms in air n' stuff. Some say she's crazier than a run over dog... but... she's a looker, she is.

Waytoomuch:

You got that right... we've got some real doozie fer names out here in the Ozark mountains... some that come to mind: Hogeye (a town), Possum Creek, Bald Knob, Granny's Gap... n' a whole lot more.

Fathead...

We come on up an' visit us a spell!

Scooter

(Ed: All those names Scooter mentioned are found on topographical maps!)
                            Andre Ming
                            Poteau, OK

Comment

• War Eagle River
                              Editing a comment
                              Possum Trot, just up the way from Low Gap.

• LAMing
                              LAMing commented
                              Editing a comment

• Fathead59
                              Fathead59 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              If I was still married to my now ex-wife I would take you up on that offer to come visit , but hey , we can still be friends thru here
                          Working...
                          X
                          UA-149438709-1