Digital Oval Idea: SALVAGED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Oval Idea: SALVAGED

So I've salvaged my ill-fated digital oval idea from some 10 years ago. (There's a thread running in the "Digital" forum if you've just gotta' read up on my trials/tribulations of exploring the idea of resurrecting my D132 dirt oval idea. )

Anyway, long story short: I've got the fixes in place and/or addressed, and I've learned how to program cars adequately enough that I have the performance features/levels where I'm happy with it. It now appears that my D132 dirt oval idea is giving all indications that it's going to be fun and will offer an entirely different set of experiences compared to my vintage analogue slot interest.

Flushed with last night's success, today I dug out some of my dusty stuff to see what projects I have that could be pushed to completion.

First, my three lexan bodied D132 COT-based cars can now be painted. Here's one example, in this case a Buick Regal (that I've intentionally distressed so as to appear to have some rootin' n' gougin' dents n' dings):

Click image for larger version

Name:	BuickRegal_1.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	120380

Then I remembered an undecorated Carrera '57 Chevy body I had started on long ago to convert to a dirt car. I dug that out, and slapped the in-rpocess body onto the only D132 '57 Chevy frame I have. I can go for one of two "looks".

First, there's this small tire look that hearkens to the mid-60s:

Name:	D132_57_project_1.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	120381

Then there's the larger tire look of the late 1960s/early 1970s...

Name:	D132_57_project_2.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	120382

I know which one I'm inclined toward, but which version (if either) appeals to you?

Lastly, some of the criteria for successfully reviving my digital dirt oval idea was for the cars to perform to my satisfaction in regards to speed and drifting ability. I've come up with a speed step and chassis set up (zero magnets) for the driver car that provides good action and the cars are slow enough for acceptable functionality on the very short digital oval w/lane changers I have. The automonous cars will need to have full magnets in order to hold the slot well enough to get their speeds up to the point that I have some competition to play race against.

Here's a short clip of the above car making a couple of laps. (Note: Video slowed to half-speed.)

Ain't this a'goin'???

erdnA

Andre Ming
    Poteau, OK

Love the video! I also like the look of both the early and late '57 - but have to probably tip it to the later bigger tire version.
    (also dig the lexan Buick body!)

Comment

The vid was fun to dabble with. First take I got all "camera giddy" and de-slotted right in front of the camera! What a buffoon.

'57 Stance:

The "late" look is the one I'm inclined toward, too. Surprisingly, the car is FASTER with the smaller "stock" tires that come on the '57 race car series. (I think the tires stick a bit better, and the lower profile increases the final drive ratio slightly.)

Lexan Buick:

Can't for the life of me remember where I got those. The website had tons of them in current production back when I was active with this idea. I have several of the shells, various makes, but alas, when it comes to fitting onto a Carrera D132 chassis, the discontinued COT cars are the only ones with the wheel base needed among the Carrera stock cars I have. (I've wondered if the new IROC-body cars are sitting on repurposed COT chassis?)

In fact, in addition to the stack of lexan bodies I have, here's a '65 Chevelle and '55 Chevy hard body dirt oval projects that need the shorter whee base of the COT cars...

Name:	65Chevelle_55Chevy.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	120395

So I wonder... IS the Carrera IROC-based cars sitting on the repurposed COT chassis??

Andre
      Andre Ming
      Poteau, OK

Comment

Why, oh WHY, in my "infinite wisdom" did I hook my digital dirt oval cart to the wrong horse??

The stack of lexan bodies AND one of the resin AND one of the hard body cars require the discontinued Carrera "Car Of Tomrrow" chassis. (Currently on a knowledge quest to see if Carrera repurposed the COT chassis and/or there's a dimensional match under some other Carrera D132 cars.)

BUT... that's not all! No sirree, I've managed to compound my car situation...

One of my current hard body's and one resin car body needs the wheelbase of the very "Limited Run" '57 Chevy series of stock cars. Thus far I've not had the impetus to cough up 3 figures for a car that I'm going to snatch the chassis out from under (and possibly need to modify) for other projects!!

A bit of an upside:

There's some affordable recent releases in the "Classic" series (Torino, non-aero Charger/Plymouth) so that, at the least, I can purchase enough so I can have a small field of compatible cars to race.

The digital oval idea is fun, but vintage and recent releases of "Legends/Historic/Classic" analogue is so much less hassle. It will take a while (and significant $$) filling out my stable of digital dirt cars.

(Sigh. )

Okay, mini-rant concluded. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

erdnA
        Andre Ming
        Poteau, OK

Comment

• williamg
          williamg commented
          Editing a comment
          if you don't mind the 14.00 shipping and 2 week wait...
          https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...12a430afdQaZaJ

• LAMing
          LAMing commented
          Editing a comment
          THANKS William! Hm. I need two minimum for the chassis, but that wouldn't allow me to have a couple of those really sharp looking one's to race alongside my #26 car. Hm, indeed. I may be getting ready to blow my month's hobby allowance!!

• LAMing
          LAMing commented
          Editing a comment
          Well after spending quite a bit of time registering an account, and jumping through all their hoops, I bit the bullet and ordered 5 cars (one of each and a duplicate). That would have given me all the paint schemes and 2 for chassis donation. Upon entering my info, I learned that the $14.25 shipping is cumulative. (So it was a total of like $69 for shipping), then I saw there was "VAT" added to the tune of nearly $30. The end result was something like nearly $370. I did the math and the cars were still cheaper than can be had here in the States, so I clicked the button to complete the order. I was notified the order failed for some verification error, and they now want either photos of my I.D., or photos of my credit card, etc. I don't think so. I closed the page without going any further. (EDIT: I remembered it was about $370 total, and not the "near $400" that I had previously typed Corrected.)
          Last edited by LAMing; September 15, 2021, 02:04 PM.

These two have waited for, what, over 10 years now? So, it won't hurt them to wait a bit more until I can put suitable D132 chassis under them!

The '57 Ford needs a Carrera '57 Chevy chassis, and the '65 Chevelle will need a COT or similar chassis.

Name:	Unkn_resins.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	120733

The '57 is such a nice looking shell it may have to be built as a Nascar-type with bumpers and all. The '65, though very nice, has to become a dirt car.

I believe Smilin' Ray offered the Ford way back when, and it may have been a chap by the name of Reinecke(sp?) that made the Chevelle?

Andre Ming
        Poteau, OK

Comment

With my re-entry to vintage slots, I have intended all along to eventually have some analogue vintage-based oval cars. (To be run on a Scalextric Sport oval w/borders and guard rails.) I have all sorts of ideas, but here's one that cropped up last night. I saw this:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Modified1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.1 KB ID:	120797

And I think it has the potential to be turned into something that hearkens to cars like these cars I watched race:

Click image for larger version  Name:	32-1968.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.3 KB ID:	120798

Click image for larger version  Name:	EverretRosenberry-Jrmod1968.jpg Views:	0 Size:	53.9 KB ID:	120799

Click image for larger version  Name:	GlennCohea-early60s-supermod-30.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.9 KB ID:	120800

In fact, the body might even fit a Strombecker long polypropylene chassis:

Click image for larger version  Name:	StromLongPolyFrame.jpg Views:	0 Size:	118.6 KB ID:	120801

Whew boy... the gears are already turning. I have an idea to make the exhausts, and staying with an exhaust arrangement as in Joe Ballard's #32 car and using his covered engine idea... an aluminum or styrene tubing exhaust assembly can be mounted using the body mounting hole on the frame!

What y'all think? Look do-able to you experienced guys?

Wow... I really do believe this slot car thing has so many rabbit holes it's mind-boggling!

erdnA
          Andre Ming
          Poteau, OK

Comment

• 4424ever
            4424ever commented
            Editing a comment
            Of coarse it’s doable I’ll try and post some pictures when I get home

• LAMing
            LAMing commented
            Editing a comment
            Doable, eh? Hm... sorta like the movie: "I'm gonna' need a bigger boat". (To hold all the parts n' stuff. LOL!) Looking forward to seeing what you've done (pics) after I get home from church tonight.

These are all 1/32

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	3.19 MB
ID:	120818
          Dave
          Peterborough Ont
          CANADA

Comment

442:

Superb!

I don't think what I have in mind will quite rise to that level!!

What are you using for the engine blocks? I shudder to think how many of those nice little Snap-Tite engine blocks I sold off. (That came with the 1/32 Snap-Tite Nascar series kits back in the 90s.)

Andre
            Andre Ming
            Poteau, OK

Comment

The engines are all hand made with about 4 different size pieces of evergreen styrene they’re actually not to hard to make and easy to scale for the body
              I have one of those snaptite engines and have yet to find a body that it doesn’t look like a v6 in
              Dave
              Peterborough Ont
              CANADA

Comment

442:

Do you have a tutorial up somewhere that illustrates how you're making them? Are you using aluminum tubing for the header pipes?
                Andre Ming
                Poteau, OK

Comment

• 4424ever
                  4424ever commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No and the headers are made with.062 dia solder bent up, it holds its shape very well

So I've realized that the quickest way to have enough RTR D132 cars to race with SiL* and GSiL* is to focus on my '57 Chevy fleet. That means 4 cars minimum: One in each of the paint schemes below:

Click image for larger version  Name:	57s.jpg Views:	1 Size:	123.4 KB ID:	121037

That decided, I have found the #9, the #26, and the #16, purchased them, and they're headed my way. All that remains is the #90 car. (I have a couple leads on one.)

The above RTR cars will stay stock as Carrera shipped them, with the exception that I'll put D132 chips in the one analogue I found of the above. (There may be two analogues to chip if #90 can only be found in analogue.)

Eventually, I'll want two additional '57 Chevy cars for their chassis, for I have two project cars that will need the wheelbase of the '57 frame. One of the projects is the undecorated '57 Chevy pictured previously, and this Smilin' Ray '57 Ford resin body:

Click image for larger version  Name:	57Ford.jpg Views:	1 Size:	119.0 KB ID:	121038

As you can see, the '57 Chevy chassis is a perfect fit under the Smilin' Ray's '57 Ford. (The "Classics" chassis are too long, and the Car Of Tomorrow chassis are too short. The '57 is the "Goldilocks" chassis for Smilin' Ray's '57 Ford!)

With a bit of luck, I should have cars here and ready by the next time our family gets together.

OH... and in addition to borders, I have this style of guard rails and clips headed my way, too:

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	1 Size:	103.3 KB ID:	121039

All fer now!

* SiL = "Son-in-Law" GSiL = Grandson-in-Law".

Last edited by LAMing; September 16, 2021, 09:43 PM.
                Andre Ming
                Poteau, OK

Comment

Speaking of that Smilin' Ray '57 Ford...

It's such a pretty shell, I've seriously thought about making a Nascar out of it, retaining the bumpers, et al.

HOWEVER...

Doing that will mean I will have to figure out a way to neatly paint the bumpers, the grill, head/tail light bezels, all the trim, etc. AND it really will need a nice, smooth, and glossy paint finish. (Putting such a glossy/pretty coat of paint on resin will be an entirely new frontier for me.)

SO...

I'm wondering if this, my first resin , would be better off being turned into a dirt car? Good bye bumpers, sand off the trim. When finished removing stuff, there will not be much trim left to even worry with!

THIS much is known...

Smilin' Ray is out of the resin business, so this is the ONLY such shell I'll ever have.

No kidding, this is a heavy decision.

What would you do?

Andre
                  Andre Ming
                  Poteau, OK

Comment

The Molotwo chrome paint can be applied with the paint pen but can be sprayed as well. Chrome foil is a good choice and should conform.
                    I have used Chrome look spray paint and it doesn't look bad, it is a really nice body. My concern is always windows, with a dirt car you can run screen or a small piece of clear in front of the driver.
                    Painting resin is not much different than plastic, it's all in the prep.
                    Here's one of mine in black automotive spray can primer and painted, then cleared with Tamiya or Testors, I don't remember which one.

Name:	primer.JPG
Views:	518
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	121129 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040230.JPG
Views:	500
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	121130
                    Brad
                    Ayton, ON Canada

Comment

Hi Brad!

Thanks for some input. That's a superb finish on that car!

Paint pen? Wha's dat?

Chrome foil I've heard of/seen pics... but have a dread and and intense fear of using.

Ah yes, the windows. The supplied windows are vacuum formed and for vac formed windows they're pretty good. BUT... they won't snuggle into the body like the windows on the Carrera '57's. (Which the finished car would be running against/with.) If I make it a Nascar-type car, I would like for the finished product to hold its own in the looks department alongside the Carrera '57's. I'm not so sure my skill sets can produce that just yet. (As a model railroader, I make my models look dirty and very well-used, so the skill sets for that type of paint/effects are in place... but pretty and shiny? I'll need to develop totally new skill sets for that! )

The Smilin' Ray's Ford is such a nice resin body, though. Almost seems a shame to hack n' gouge it into a dirt car. Oh, and there's that: The rough and tumble life a slot car lives while it earns its keep. As the bumps n' grinds take their toll on the paint finish and decals, such would wear better on a rough and tumble dirt car as opposed to a nice looking Nascar paint/decal scheme.

Decisions, decisions.

I'm so thrilled to have so many aspects that I get to overthink to the point of ridiculousness! (We over-thinker's are like that.)

Andre "Lemme' think on this" Ming
                      Andre Ming
                      Poteau, OK

Comment

Do these 57 Chevs have chromed bumpers of just painted silver. I've only had one , the first #57 car that I converted to a replica of a buddy's car he used to race back in the day, he's 82 now and it had painted bumpers.
                        Here's a side by side of a picture of the actual car and the slot car. it's only seen some test laps as it went right into his display cabinet at home.

Name:	57 right pic.JPG
Views:	522
Size:	604.6 KB
ID:	121164 Click image for larger version

Name:	57 right.JPG
Views:	491
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	121165

Name:	P1020582.JPG
Views:	480