• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Nascar change

Ford Mustang SUV starts a blitz of new electric vehicles

When will Nascar go Electric ?

Austin
    Merrimack, NH

NASCAR has stated an electric division may be added in their future but will not be intended to replace the gasoline powered engine in the Cup division. My own opinion is that NASCAR will use the compact sedans as the electric vehicles.
    Ken, Gulf Key Raceway, Hernando Beach, FL

Comment

When they want to put the final nail in their coffin.

By the way, speaking as a Ford Mustang owner, there is no such thing as an electric Ford Mustang SUV. Ford does have a battery powered vehicle that someone at Ford jokingly mis-labeled.
      Butch Dunaway
      Oxford, Ohio

Comment

• Bal r 14
        Bal r 14 commented
        Editing a comment
        I also own a Mustang (2018 GT convertible). That electric SUV is a nice vehicle, but it is NOT a Mustang!

I was just about write, “When they’re ready to commit suicide. “

And no, that’s not a Mustang. Recall the 1980 “Challenger”.

Comment

• gsnopoint
        gsnopoint commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, sure do... Had one.

"The times they are a changin"

Comment

I love the sound and fury of a big thirsty V8 as much as anyone but the harsh reality is the automotive world ain't what it used to be. Performance, especially the way it's been defined for decades isn't the key to car sales anymore, efficiency is. And like it or not environmental factors govern what many consumers value. Car culture going forward, once us dinosaurs take our place in history, won't be the same. I'm a ford guy and love my throaty Mustang. Neither of my grandson who grew up next door would buy a traditional American car. One might if it was zero emissions, and the other only cares about euro-sport type cars. Neither would watch a NASCAR race if you paid them. Or any automobile race for that matter.

Big powerful internal combustion engines will always be around but as the years go by won't be what many/most consumers want. Automakers have to change in accordance to what is popular. So do sanctioning bodies. F1 has an electric series, Formula E, that's making progress.

Most of us don't watch or follow NASCAR very much anymore cause it's not what it once was. Time passes and things change. Ya can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. So, an electric car series for NASCAR will most likely happen when the percentage of electric vehicles on the streets dictates it.

Comment

• Bal r 14
          Bal r 14 commented
          Editing a comment
          Very true. Most forms of racing now seem to be more about pit stop time, fuel management and luck with when the yellow flags occur. There was something about NASCAR in the days of the Hudson Hornet and Olds Rocket 88 that are just gone.

Yes, the target market is dwindling and going electric wouldn't change it. Simple as that. Ask anyone involved in a hands-on hobby.

Comment

As for me, in spite of my discovery of Nascar in the very early 1960s (via the printed mags and most importantly, ABC's Wide World Of Sports), and continued interest over most of the decades since, I've pretty much been done with Nascar for several years now. I don't miss it at all. To me its become a circus freak show.

The sounds of the internal combustion is a huge part of my liking of motorsports. Yes, the world is constantly changing. I fully get that. As I continue to live among the change, I have retreated to recreating my worlds of yesteryear. I don't intend to become a sour old man or always talking about how it was better "back then", but I will continue to enjoy my hobby's and interests as I see fit until my shortening years of this life are over. After that, my hobby's, or the changing world, won't matter.

Of course, all of the above is FWIW!

Now, back to having fun with my Strombecker stuff!

erdnA

Andre Ming
          Poteau, OK

Comment

I know if I drove more, I'd be giving a Tesla a serious look. But, I only drive about 2500 miles a year, so gas for my Mustang isn't a major expense.

Comment

I live in Oxford, Ohio about 35 miles northwest of Cincinnati. In August we had about ten days where we got a Peak Energy Alert warning, which means they want everyone to turn off any electrical devices they don't have to have on and turn their thermostat up to save electric on air conditioning. I figure in about 10 years everyone (except me) is going to have an electric car "sitting" in their garages in August.
              Butch Dunaway
              Oxford, Ohio

Comment

• WB2
                WB2 commented
                Editing a comment
                So you used a car battery to run your slot cars on those days?

• Pappy
                Pappy commented
                Editing a comment
                No, too hot in my pole barn to play with slot cars and I didn't want to turn the air conditioning on.

Butch:

What amazes me is that among the electric vehicle "mania" the powers that be are pushing, NO one seems to be asking the question: Where is this electricity going to come from to charge all the vehicles? AND what is going to power the energy plants that will try to supply this increasing demand for electricity?

Apparently electrical grids are already taxed, so we're going to increase the demand for even MORE consumption (and not low wattage consumption by any means) by charging all the electric vehicles they want to cram down our throats?

Oh, and never mind how to safely dispose of the horrendously toxic batteries once no longer serviceable, or the impact to the environment of lithium mining.

So much mania, so little common sense.
              Andre Ming
              Poteau, OK

Comment

• Pappy
                Pappy commented
                Editing a comment
                Another question no one seems to want to address is that gasoline has a road use tax on it, electric doesn't. So who is going to pay for the roads and road maintenance.

• slothead
                slothead commented
                Editing a comment
                We're off topic but, these days electricity can be generated from 'local' sources. The college I retired from built a huge solar farm on campus property and is committed to installing a huge windmill. In addition to moving toward having no carbon footprint (zero fossil fuels emissions) they have free car charging stations for members of the campus community. Lastly, Environmental Studies majors are very popular and the college can rightfully claim to be a leader and not a follower.

Back to the topic - racing will become more electric as it becomes more mainstream. As an 'old timer' you may feel this is being forced on you while the market place responds to what technology and changing perspectives dictates. In a worldwide market any automaker or motorsports organization that doesn't acknowledge that is out of sync with reality. Decades from now big time auto racing will likely be very different in many ways if it hopes to remain relevant.

Here where I live on Vancouver Island we've lost two ovals tracks, with two remaining and one of those day's are numbered. It's the oldest track in western Canada opening in 1954. The issue has mostly been noise and local development. There is also a private road course for rich people that's incurring many legal issues as well.

RC racing using electron power is flourishing though and been doing so for a long time, with proper venues, indoor and out.

Slot car racing here is an unknown, although there are a few active groups from what I hear.

Electric NASCAR?? I can only imagine the big raging fires from those big pileups. A Tesla can burn for three hours.
              Last edited by GoldGuy; September 5, 2021, 09:35 PM.

Comment

• Pappy
                Pappy commented
                Editing a comment
                If I remember correctly, back in 1967 when Parnelli Jones drove the first turbine car at Indy everyone was saying turbine cars would destroy automobile racing because they didn't make enough noise. That's why they kept limiting the engines to the point they couldn't compete.
            Working...
            X
            UA-149438709-1