Carrera NASCAR Tuning Series - After-Market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrera NASCAR Tuning Series - After-Market

So this is a follow up to the first series of videos I did last year.

Here is the playlist for the first one if interested.:

Carrera Classic NASCAR Tuning Playlist HERE

This time we are talking about upgrading the running gear in the rear and a few other mods.

It is still being worked on. Doing some work on lowering and painting, but thought I would share the first 6.

Insomniacs...no reason to thank me. I mean...gears are exciting so that episode might get your adrenaline up
    -Harry

Outstanding series. Thanks!
    Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA
    Facebook-
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100018917899105
    YouTube-
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCB2327w8u_O8RjKeY4kFonQ

Comment

Excellent work Harry

Comment

What he said
        Arrold Martin
        Nashville TN

Comment

Hi Harry, Thanks for making these videos. I’ve been messing around with these Carrera stockers since the first release. I’ve learnt a few things or 2 after watching your videos.

I’m wondering once you have finished the video series you could do a shootout like you do when someone mails cars in. The car finished as per the video series with all aftermarket parts, vs a stocker with just urethane tires on the back plus regular tuning with stock parts, stock wheels & urethane tires trued, body float, motor glued down, weight etc. It would be good to see how they each perform on the track. Just a thought anyway. 😀

Comment

Thanks all.

Yes Greg, plan on it. I am going to take the Dick Brooks car I tuned in the first series and match it up against the new finished version.

More to come. Appreciate the feedback guys.
            -Harry

Comment

• mopargreg
              mopargreg commented
              Editing a comment
              Excellent Thankyou! Enjoying the video series!

Well , since this is a 6 part series , I think I will watch them all when I don't feel like going to bed

Comment

What a great series Harry!!! Excellent information as always.
              Mike - Galena Ohio

"When you're back there with the squirrels, you're bound to get your nuts cracked." - Graham Rahal

https://www.hrwforum.com/forum/hrw-a...gends-bullring

Comment

Thanks guys, slow going with family visiting but here is part 7

-Harry

Comment

Utterly FANTASTIC Harry...been watching each and everyone on your YouTube channel!!! I really like how you keep reiterating that this is “How you do it” and it is up to each individual to make their cars run to their standards!!! IT DON’T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS!!!
                  TOM...HOME RACING GOO GOO!!!
                  Warren, Ohio

Comment

Keep ‘em comin’!

Comment

Great series thanks Harry! I’m really enjoying this. Talk about leaving it on a cliffhanger with the last video. How low will Harry go? How will Harry lower that Daytona just a little bit more? Find out next week!

Comment

I started getting the Carrera stockers several years ago, well after they were originally released. First was the #58 Andy Hampton Dodge Charger, then a bunch of Ford Torinos as they were released (#98 Parsons, #76 Arnold, #92 Unser). Bought two #92 Torinos and repainted one as the Petty Torino. I never expected the sold out #7 Ramo Scott Charger to be available again but when it was rereleased I immediately ordered one from LEB along with a preorder of the #1 Pete Hamilton Charger. Somewhere along the way I bought a used #41 Al Unser Charger so when the Hamilton car is available I'll have 8 Carrera stockers. I'm a sucker for the classics from the '60's & 70's.

I generally don't tune my RTR cars except for silicone or urethane tires on the rear since they're only solo race against each other. But I will check out all the videos and consider some upgrades that make sense for how I use these cars. Harry always offers good advice.

My newest goal is adding more Revell-Monogram classic stockers to my roster. I've added 5 to my collection recently and as expected they are excellent models and good runners. They are expensive to acquire, especially if NIB, but these cars are not likely to ever be rereleased. On my track the Revell stockers out perform the Carrera stockers, but maybe following some of Harry's tuning tips will even things out.

Comment

LOL well Greg you may not have to wait that long

Slothead: I generally don't tune my RTR cars except for silicone or urethane tires on the rear since they're only solo race against each other. But I will check out all the videos and consider some upgrades that make sense for how I use these cars.
                          And that is the personal preference part. If you are happy as is...no need. Yet, as racers we rarely are. The upgrades to running gear alone may not do much if you have trued and concentric gear.

But that quest for performance. It seems to be always there. "I bet if I did (whatever) then I COULD shave off a few more tenths"

Well...this is just a report on some of the things we have done over the years to accomplish that. Crazy? Perhaps...

-Harry

Comment

I'm all for performance too, but don't want to get into an arms race with myself. A race between cars turning 11 sec. average laps is just as interesting as a race between cars turning 10 sec. average laps. The key for me as a solo racer is to have the cars in a race (up to 20) be competitive with each other. Obviously, some cars are naturally faster than others so starting grids are inverted just like at Saturday night dirt ovals. It would be no fun in either case if the track champion started on the pole and led every lap. But when they start at the back and have to work their way through traffic, with natural delays for getting around slower cars, and may or may not get to the front, what might seem boring is actually interesting and unpredictable.

I understand this makes no sense to those who only watch or appreciate asphalt racing but good handicapping makes weekly fairgrounds dirt racing exciting. That's what I grew up on and try to emulate.

As race director I have no favorites and have no way to fairly choose which cars to tune to seek an advantage. A car that's too good actually complicates things.

As a lifelong data nerd, programmer, and with graduate experience in AI and simulation, I was able to write a program to conduct the races so it's not nearly as simple as adding up lap times to see who wins. Yes, most racers would still find it boring not having others to race with and against, but being inspired by Barry Boor it suits me just fine.

Comment

• Michael Squier
                              Michael Squier commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Good to know I’m not the only solo driver here.
                          Working...
                          X
                          UA-149438709-1