Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheels Well...my process on making them!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels Well...my process on making them!

So I just wanted to share how I sand out my wheel wells on my cars no matter the scale...1/43, 1/32 or 1/24-25! It's pretty easy to do with the few pictures I'm posting!

First I bought these different size wooden dowels(as marked on the ends) at Home Depot or Lowe's...can't remember??? Then I got the sticky sanding pads from work but I'm pretty sure you can buy them at any of your big store hardware places. Wrap the sand paper around each size dowel and make sure it is stuck tight!! Then pick the size you want for the size car application that you want and the diameter of wheel well you want...measure the outside diameter of your mounted tire and then go from there on picking the diameter of dowel you want to use...remember sanding paper adds a little to diameter!

And I found this works perfect with plastic or resin cars...make sure to have a vacuum and mask handy...then set your car wheel well over top off the dowel and start running it back and forth till you get your desired shape and depth you want!! Try to keep even pressure as you go back and forth but the nice thing is is that you can put pressure on either side to even them up if it starts getting out of whack on one side or the other!!

Hope this helps someone out cause I used to have a heck of a time with wheel wells till I came up with this and you can shape them however you want after you have you desired shape!!

TOM...HOME RACING GOO GOO!!!
    Warren, Ohio

Excellent idea! Put it in a drill to make the process quicker.

Comment

Great minds think alike a Broman except I use sockets rapped with sandpaper to get the various diameters
      PS pretty hot looking body you got there
      Dave
      Peterborough Ont
      CANADA

Comment

• Broman62
        Broman62 commented
        Editing a comment
        Picked that up off the bay from the guy that did slosh casting and he had a bunch of car bodies but now I don't see him selling them anymore...wish I would have picked up more!!

Originally posted by 4424ever View Post
      Great minds think alike a Broman except I use sockets rapped with sandpaper to get the various diameters
      yep only thing a harbor freight socket is good for....
      THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
      Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

• waaytoomuchintothis
        waaytoomuchintothis commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. I once brought home a set that was pre-split. Well, 3 of them were. The people at HF looked at me like I was going to highjack the store and demand that it fly me to Cuba. Finally, one of the folks said "Wait a minute- that's the one someone returned this morning!" I asked how it got back on the shelf in a cardboard tray, and there was no answer. I gave the new set they gave me to a kid down the street to play with his bicycle that probably cost as much as a set of tires for my car.

Great idea Tom!
      Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA
      Facebook-
      https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100018917899105
      YouTube-
      https://youtube.com/channel/UCB2327w8u_O8RjKeY4kFonQ

Comment

Good post Tom
        Was wondering, which diameter rod do you prefer for 1/32 scale?
        Eric Foster
        Port Republic Va

Comment

• Broman62
          Broman62 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!!
          I believe that was the 1" dowel...always depends on the OD of the mounted tire and the "look" you are looking for

Thanks Tom
        I kinda figured 1" dowel was what you used for that scale.
        I went ahead and picked up the whole set from Lowe's yesterday for $16 after veteran discount.
        I could only find them in 4' lengths so I have a life long supply
        Thanks pal.
        Eric Foster
        Port Republic Va

Comment

I work mostly in 1/24, but I just take the wheel/tire I am actually going to use on the car and wrap it in a course sandpaper, and then finish later with a finer grit.

If it is a crazy Modified with really hogged out wheel wells, I will drum/Dremel first to get it in the ball park.

NYMODIFIEDS.COM

Comment

Originally posted by dinglebery View Post
            Excellent idea! Put it in a drill to RUIN the process quicker.
            I fixed that for you. At least that would apply to me.

Scott

Why doesn't my car run like that?

Scott

Comment

I reckon that's a great idea. My wife doesn't ... she hates it. She has to vacuum under my work bench. Well, she doesn't have to ... she chooses to.
              Bram,
              CHCH NZ

Comment

Amazing what idea's you can pick up on places like this. Thanks for sharing

Comment

You can't beat using the right tools for the job
                  Kevan - Isle of Man
                  Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  UA-149438709-1