'71 Torino stock car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '71 Torino stock car

Thanks to Mark Thomas I now have a 1:32 scale '71 Torino Cobra body. The image below contains the earlier model of the Torino that was prevalent in stock car racing, as well as the unpainted '71 Torino Cobra body.

Click image for larger version

Name:	71 Torino and Unser Torino.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	546.3 KB
ID:	153173

When I searched for actual race cars to replicate I found the car below driven by Ron Hutcherson. Revell-Monogram released a version of his brother, Dick Hutcherson's, '67 Fairlane.

Name:	Hutcherson - 71 Ford Torino.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	351.1 KB
ID:	153174

This is the car I'll most likely build a replica of using the new body.

That’s cool, always did like those Torinos, even before Clint Eastwood made it famous.

Comment

Slothead, are you sure that unpainted body is a Torino?

It looks a lot like a Falcon XA from Australia.

Name:	?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmusclecarwarehouse.com.au%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F03%2FIMG_2480.jpg&f=1&nofb=1.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	153194
      Attached Files
      Why doesn't my car run like that?

Scott

Comment

• slothead
        slothead commented
        Editing a comment
        Various design features seem to have been on Fords around the world using different make & model names. The same is true for GM same design features being used on Chevrolet models in the USA and Holden models in Australia. As for the Torino and Falcon XA shown above, they seem to share the same rear quarter panels but use different front ends.

a few more
      Attached Files
      Mark

Comment

• olskoolslotz
        olskoolslotz commented
        Editing a comment
        I was fortunate to see the Jack Bowsher Torino's and the Rudy Hoerr Minolta Torino with Al Unser Sr driving pictured above at the Milwaukee Mile when I was about 10 years old. Memories I'm grateful to my father for and memories that will hopefully never fade away. I remember the Ford's had a softer exhaust note than other manufacturers going by the grandstand but obviously Bowsher made great power with them. Mark, did your dad build the Len Blanchard engines at that time?

yes Dave, Daytona ARCA car, and USAC white car

Name:	0a773a6080d565fca941afa6c751d953.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	153271

Name:	ddf0f22771aba4994e66133fc12e7c4f.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	153272

Name:	798ed839e2cdbc772c107fc04f0cc093.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	153273
      Mark

Comment

• olskoolslotz
        olskoolslotz commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome! Sure I saw Leonard racin' at the Milwaukee Mile too. My Dad & I would attend all 6 USAC races at Milwaukee each year in the early 70's, 4 - stock car races and 2 - Indy Car races each year. My best childhood memories!

Thanks to everyone for continued input about the Torino. I'm still looking for the 'ideal' livery for the build. For me that means a paint scheme I can pull off, a driver of record I don't already have a car for on my roster, and a number that also isn't already spoken for. I allow some multiple numbers on my rosters which I differentiate by adding the first letter of the driver's last name to the number, such as 11A for Andretti since I already had a #11 Ned Jarret car.

My favorite liveries so far are the #29 Ron Hutcherson car shown in my original post. BUT, I'm also still considering buying the Revell-Monogram #29 Dick Hutcherson Fairlane so I'm open to other options. Next favorite is the #77 Charlie Roberts Torino shown below, but I haven't found any decals for this car yet. The black hood with dark red body is something I could do, but the graphics really make this car a great looker. Those are very unique numbers and haven't found anything regarding that Sunny King Ford logo on the back of the car.

Click image for larger version  Name:	charlieroberts77.jpg Views:	1 Size:	64.4 KB ID:	153299

Also under consideration is the #59 Jim Hurtubise car which SlotCar Fever has decals for. This would be a super easy build since the body wouldn't even need to be painted, but overall it's rather bland.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SCF #59 Jim Hurtubise Torino.jpg Views:	1 Size:	109.4 KB ID:	153300

I like the #15 red & blue Minolta livery but the driver is Al Unser who is already on my roster in a Carrera #41 Dodge Charger. I also haven't been able to find any decals for this car either.

Click image for larger version  Name:	xpfv5ksy09az.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=cbb19c6b4589912c61d8482b8ef05ee9987b1089.jpg Views:	1 Size:	54.3 KB ID:	153301
      Last edited by slothead; March 8, 2022, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
        X
        UA-149438709-1