No announcement yet.

cleaning spray can paint nozzles, HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning spray can paint nozzles, HELP!

Does anyone have luck with this? Or should I just throw the can away and start over...

Scott
    Why doesn't my car run like that?

Scott

try taking them off and socking in paint thinner, I aways tip the can over and give the can a quick spay to clean the nozzle before I put the cab way
    THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
    Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

I soak mine in lacquer thinner at the end of each spray session for Tamiya TS lacquers.
      Mike V.
      Western North Carolina

Comment

Yes, and no ...

1. The micro whiskers on an acetylene torch tip cleaner work for some. Automotive jet gauges work too. Most folks dont have this kit. Soaking them in LT and blowing them out works. ‚Äč Might take more than once.

2. Save good nozzles before you pitch the can. Some are waaaaaay better than others. There's a coupla different styles. I have a little container of them on the bomb can shelf.

3. Cleaning the nozzle by inverting the can and spraying is good practice, BUT the second part of it is to store your cans upside down. That way when they settle or separate in storage, the pick up orifice of the internal siphon tube stays clear. The paint sits at the bottom, and the solvent rides on top. Then at least you have a prayer of reconstituting the stratified paint mixture in the can. I duct tape mine to a palm sander if it gets down to the nitty gritty.

None of it is 100% guaranteed. Sometimes no matter what you do, it comes out like silly string, or the internal siphon is hopelessly plugged up.

Good luck Scott!

Bill
        Last edited by Model Murdering; January 16, 2022, 11:48 PM.

Comment

You didn't say what brand, I assume Rustoleum. I personally have moved away from that brand because of the nozzles and had to trash 3/4 full cans. Made to full switch to Tamiya or Duplicolor only and never have any issues. Paint is better, settles finer and flater on the plastic. Just quality compared to Rustoleum. Sorry this turned into a rant.....

Soaking in thinner is the only option I've tried but seriously - you won't have to worry about it with Tamiya.

Comment

ALWAYS when you are finished spraying, turn can upside down, spray into a trash can OUTSIDE or a well ventilated area, until the paint stops spraying, then remove spray tip and clean with any type of cleaner, (I use acetone) soak it while you decide what to do with what ever you painted, then using what ever you have to clean the inside of the tip and put it away for another spray time.
            My buck 2.98's worth!

"Just an old fart messing around in the garage"
            edit... I still use spray paints from 5-6 years ago if not older! Just make sure you take an extra effort into shaking the can!
            Last edited by JCIS4ME; January 17, 2022, 06:48 AM.

Comment

I have had good luck with soaking it in Isopropanol Alcohol, then blow it out with air. I also use the Alcohol to take paint off plastic car bodies.
              Robert- Shoreline Model Raceways Club
              Connecticut, U.S.A.

Comment

Originally posted by 1fozziebear View Post
                You didn't say what brand, I assume Rustoleum. I personally have moved away from that brand because of the nozzles and had to trash 3/4 full cans. Made to full switch to Tamiya or Duplicolor only and never have any issues. Paint is better, settles finer and flater on the plastic. Just quality compared to Rustoleum. Sorry this turned into a rant.....

Soaking in thinner is the only option I've tried but seriously - you won't have to worry about it with Tamiya.
                That was a good guess because it was Rustoleum. It sounds like I should stay away from it after this project.

Thank you everyone else for the helpful tips. Maybe I will just try them all...

Scott

Scott

Comment

• mattb
                  mattb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same issue with rustoleum. All model spray cans are supposed to be self cleaning. I no longer invert the can. I just wipe the nozzle clean to remove any external build up. This seems to work OK.

Well.
                Rustoleum Strikes Back! Or is it again? Cleaned the nozzle with alcohol and then threw it into the ultrasonic cleaner. Dried it off, blew it out and it worked great!
                And today the nozzle sputters and spits and generally does not work. Figures. I need to paint one bumper and valance with this can and it is GONE!

Scott

Comment

Another thing to consider is the turnover of product. We dont know how long some of this stuff has sat in an unheated or overheated warehouse.

I avoid Krustoleum, Crylong, and Model Disaster. Like Fozzie, I stick with Duplicolor and Tamiya if I use a bomb.

Comment

• noddaz
                    noddaz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Duplicolor does spray very nice. And dries fast also. You just HAVE to like lacquer paints.
                    Scott

• Model Murdering
                    Model Murdering commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Maybe I dislike enamels more! hahahaha

Truth is my failure rate went waaaay down when I quit spraying enamels on my cars. I cant say my technique is better or worse. I just changed to a more forgiving product.
                Working...
                X
                UA-149438709-1