Roller Test Bench for digital cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roller Test Bench for digital cars?

Hi. I'm new to the forum. I've been visiting for years, but this is only my second post.

I was watching a review on here of the roller test bench by CB Design: https://homeracingworld.us/TeamHRW/2...er-test-bench/

It looks like a great tool for tuning cars. I'm curious to know if anyone has tried modifying it and using it for digital cars?

I race primarily analog cars chipped for my digital Carrera track and while I'm not afraid of soldering or tinkering, I'm still just getting my feet wet with electronics.

You can easily use this test bench with digital. Most Carrera cars have a switch underneath that will change them to analog. Or you can take the body off and just direct plug the guide wire to the motor wire and bypass the digital chip. I’ve done this very thing and it works fine. Then just switch it back to run on your track.

Comment

Originally posted by manchvegasracer View Post
      You can easily use this test bench with digital. Most Carrera cars have a switch underneath that will change them to analog. Or you can take the body off and just direct plug the guide wire to the motor wire and bypass the digital chip. I’ve done this very thing and it works fine. Then just switch it back to run on your track.
      Thanks for the reply and the advice. How do you like the roller test bench and what do you find yourself using it for the most?

Comment

• manchvegasracer
        manchvegasracer commented
        Editing a comment
        I use it for a couple different reasons. I can check the tires to see how bad my truing job was I also use it to break in motors/gears and just check the car for vibrations, etc.

The switch on the bottom of a Carrera Digital cars is NOT a digital/analog switch it is just a polarity switch.
      People don't stop playing because they get old, people get old because they stop playing.

Comment

But you DO use that switch to program the car from digital to analog.

Unless you are taking the car apart and removing/bypassing the chip.

-Harry

Comment

No...it has NOTHING to do with programming the car. Those videos were posted years ago when nobody knew any better. The switch had nothing to do with digital versus analog, it is SIMPLY a polarity switch. It is the exact same polarity switch you get on a Carrera Evolution analog car. I wish that misinformation wasn't out there, it persist in confusing people, even people who are knowledgeable otherwise.
          People don't stop playing because they get old, people get old because they stop playing.

Comment

You guys are right. I did have to bypass the chip all together to run on analog.

Comment

So, I never disconnected our Carrera chips and tested on my Scalextric analog track and then my son raced on a Carrera digital track every Friday, I simply flipped the switch. How was this possible?
              Last edited by Brumos RSR; February 23, 2021, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Im not sure about Carrera but scaly chips can run on analog track. two problems do come up, one if you use dead strips the laps will not count and two no brakes. I would thing the same with a Carrera chip. I used to all ways check my cars on the test bench using 10v dc to make sure I had the motor going the right way before i installed the body on chip installs
                Last edited by docdoom; February 23, 2021, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brumos RSR View Post
                  So, I never disconnected our Carrera chips and tested on my Scalextric analog track and then my son raced on a Carrera digital track every Friday, I simply flipped the switch. How was this possible?
                  Because of polarity. Carrera digital AND analog have the same polarity. BUT pretty much all other slot car systems have opposite polarity. Scalextrix and Carrera have the positive and negative rails reversed, that's why you had to flip the switch. That switch, along with the chip, mean the car can only run forwards. If you notice, with other slot cars if you turn them around on a track they will move backwards, but not Carrera digital cars. They either go forward or don't go at all. Then you flip the switch and they will go. That is because of polarity and reverse voltage protection, not digital/analog.

Comment

• Brumos RSR
                    Brumos RSR commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thank you for the explanation

I put a brand new Carrera D132 Porsche 911 RSR on the roller test bench last night to test it out.

I was curious to see where all the noise was coming from on the car. It's going to be a struggle to not go down the rabbit hole of endless tuning with this thing.

Comment

Anyone know where to find one of these test benches? They're out of stock everywhere.

Comment

As far as I know Slot Car Corner has them , check their web site

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      UA-149438709-1