Digital Trigger Controllers for Carrera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edmagner View Post
    Unsolicited random opinion here - I would try one of the trigger controllers before taking the plunge on a bunch of them. The ergonomics of digital racing are a bit different with the lane change button being used several times per lap. It takes some getting use to and I think a lot of people end up using 2 hands on a trigger controller for D132/D124 because it's tricky to work the lane change button and the trigger one handed. This makes the whole racing with an adult beverage in your hand a lot more challenging.
    I personally would also not want to go back to a wired controller after enjoying the freedom of wireless, which points to Frankenslot as the only current wireless choice (Monte?). I have a set of wireless Frankenslots on one of my tracks and really end up gravitating back to the standard wireless Carrera controllers. One downside of the wireless Frankenslots is dealing with the batteries & switching them on and off every time you use them. They have reasonable life if you remember to switch them off every time but it's just one more thing to mess with when you want to run a few laps.

Good luck

Ed
    Great info - thanks!

Comment

In my slot car collection, I still have many analog cars that I like to run. Several weeks ago, I had the chance to switch my track to analog for a bit. For me, that disconnecting the remote CU and swapping a a few power taps around. Now before anyone says
      "dualumbauweissbiermächen" box, I prefer to use my ancient, basic Parma Econo 25 ohm controllers.

Some interesting discoveries were made. My test mule was my new Carrera Porsche 917K. Out of the box, in digital with standard wired controllers, it was horrible. Truing the tires helped, but not much. Most of the power seemed to come on by half plunge, making the car hop, chatter and skip all over. Yes, I can turn the power down through the chip, but that limits top speed and will "use more fuel" in the CU fuel mode. A switch to my TrueSpeed controller allowed me to dial out a lot of the power till later, when the car was more up to speed. So, that was an improvement.
      Then I ran the car with the Parma. CHEAP controller, way better than the standard Carrera controller. More control down low where an evil handling car needs the most help. It was by feel, about like the True Speed.

Unfortunately, I didn't use my optical timer to record lap times for a direct comparison. But I trust my seat of the pants, we mostly know when a lap feels fast, it probably is fast. I did record the lap times between the two digital controllers, The TrueSpeed was three tenths a lap faster on a eight second lap.

So, if your running no mag, I recommend a better controller, you will be faster. Besides TrueSpeed, FrankenSlot, and we have Ram Jet by DRS that just happens to post to our HRW forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Slotspeed View Post
        Bruce, it sounds like you have been sold in your mind with regards to trigger controllers, but I have some part numbers/order numbers for replacement microswitches to fix the plunger type controllers, let me know if you would like them.
        Great! I'm very interested in the part numbers / order numbers for replacement microswitches.

Can you please provide me with that?

Comment

• Slotspeed
          Slotspeed commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi, I posted the part number in post #20 of this thread. It is from RS components, I am unable to properly browse the North American website due to region issues (I can only access my local region's RS site) but have a look at post #20 and see if you can order that part in your location. There is also a photo (found on freeslotter forum) of a substitute part that shows an alternate method of repair in that same post.

Does anyone know whether or not the Frankenslot wireless controllers are/will be available?

Comment

Originally posted by rustymike12 View Post
          Does anyone know whether or not the Frankenslot wireless controllers are/will be available?
          Slot Car Space Solutions has them in stock. Not all colors but they do have some.

I'm surprised how many people have not had issues with the Carrera wireless controllers. I've had a couple of switch failures and some new batteries that failed fairly quickly. I am hesitant to try a trigger because of the location of the lane change button... just seems like what you gain with the trigger, you lose with the lane change button location... but I've never tried one, they're aren't cheap and buying cars is more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by DRW-FJ40 View Post

I'm surprised how many people have not had issues with the Carrera wireless controllers. I've had a couple of switch failures and some new batteries that failed fairly quickly.
            I'm still using my 4 controllers from 8 yrs ago with only 1 replacement failure and it wasn't the L/C button. Only replaced 1 battery also.

Dave
            Saginaw Valley Raceway
            Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

Originally posted by dw5555 View Post

I'm still using my 4 controllers from 8 yrs ago with only 1 replacement failure and it wasn't the L/C button. Only replaced 1 battery also.
              When running wired controllers I'm still using old Pro-X controllers from 2007 with no problems. I've had 25 controllers from wired to both wireless versions and not one has failed. I guess anything is possible but I am also surprised to hear about any failures.
              People don't stop playing because they get old, people get old because they stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cincyslots View Post
                We sell the Truspeed controllers for Carrera digital. It's very smooth. It has sensitivity controller and the ability to adjust the trigger tension.
                These look nice, but I have Carrera digital wireless layout, how can I connect the Truspeed to my setup?

Originally posted by noddaz View Post
                I have used RamJet-X wired controllers and they work very well.
                Scott
                Also looks nice, but want wireless as an option.
                https://digitalracingsolutions.com/

Originally posted by edmagner View Post
                Unsolicited random opinion here - I would try one of the trigger controllers before taking the plunge on a bunch of them. The ergonomics of digital racing are a bit different with the lane change button being used several times per lap. It takes some getting use to and I think a lot of people end up using 2 hands on a trigger controller for D132/D124 because it's tricky to work the lane change button and the trigger one handed. This makes the whole racing with an adult beverage in your hand a lot more challenging.
                I personally would also not want to go back to a wired controller after enjoying the freedom of wireless, which points to Frankenslot as the only current wireless choice (Monte?). I have a set of wireless Frankenslots on one of my tracks and really end up gravitating back to the standard wireless Carrera controllers. One downside of the wireless Frankenslots is dealing with the batteries & switching them on and off every time you use them. They have reasonable life if you remember to switch them off every time but it's just one more thing to mess with when you want to run a few laps.

Good luck
                Ed
                I"m not a fan of thumb throttle control, Frankenslot looks great!

Originally posted by 32lbking View Post
                I have a Slotit scp 1.1 wired controller that I used for analog. A couple years ago I picked up a digital cartridge for it from the Scaley or Hornby sight on sale for $27. The adjustment knobs for power and curve adjustment work with digital [although not quite as noticeable as with analog in my opinion]. The brake adjustment knob does not seem to work with digital. There is also a full brake button on the controller and I seem to remember that this does work with digital, but I prefer light braking.
                Greg [Mr.Flippant on the forum] is very knowledgeable when it comes to Slotit controllers and digital. I believe he posted a video on the old forum of the Slotit controller being used with digital and explaining what he is doing in the video as it goes along.
                I have been running Carrera wireless controllers since the infrared were introduced. I have both infrared and 2.4ghz controllers and still use both. I just can't go back to wired controllers after using wireless and the freedom they provide.
                As Ed stated about the Frankenslot controller, I find it easier to use 2 hands on the Slotit controller as well.
                Randy
                Interesting controller, digital and wireless, but seems over complicated.
                http://slot.it/scp-controllers/
                Last edited by SlotCat; September 15, 2020, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• Cincyslots
                  Cincyslots commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They plug into your CU.

• SlotCat
                  SlotCat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, I've got my track but have to build a new table to setup on and first time owner of Carrera digital set, can't wait to get it up and running! I'm still learning, thank you for the reply, might have to try one!
              Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1