Digital Trigger Controllers for Carrera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Trigger Controllers for Carrera

Thought I’d break the ice by reposting this from the other forum.

I’ve found the Carrera wireless controllers to be a bit fragile. I’ve had 3 of 6 button failures. I’d like to upgrade to trigger controllers. Wired or wireless will work. What do you like and not like?

Thanks,

Bruce

Are you talking about the lane change/coding button? If so, someone had mentioned a source for replacement momentary contact switches. It may have been Bruce Yingling... If it wasn't you Bruce, I apologize.
    Randy

Comment

We sell the Truspeed controllers for Carrera digital. It's very smooth. It has sensitivity controller and the ability to adjust the trigger tension.
      Cincyslots.com

Comment

I have used RamJet-X wired controllers and they work very well.

Scott
        Why doesn't my car run like that?

Scott

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I’ll be looking to upgrade in November/December. We had a minor water issue in the basement this summer so the track and table were taken down to replace the carpet. It will start going back up soon. Lots of upgrades planned: add 4’ to the table making room for expanded double pit lane on back stretch and maybe a safety car lane on front stretch, adding borders to all track sections, double pit lane with auto sequencing between lanes using Pro-X electronics, adding chicane entry to pits to soften entry and allow higher entry speeds, Bruce Y’s management software, paint the track once the layout is finalized, and lastly adding 1/24 cars to the stable.

I am considering only using 4 driver stations as the 6 up racing seemed to be pretty crowded.

more to come as we get started.

Bruce

Comment

Bruce, it sounds like you have been sold in your mind with regards to trigger controllers, but I have some part numbers/order numbers for replacement microswitches to fix the plunger type controllers, let me know if you would like them.

Comment

Unsolicited random opinion here - I would try one of the trigger controllers before taking the plunge on a bunch of them. The ergonomics of digital racing are a bit different with the lane change button being used several times per lap. It takes some getting use to and I think a lot of people end up using 2 hands on a trigger controller for D132/D124 because it's tricky to work the lane change button and the trigger one handed. This makes the whole racing with an adult beverage in your hand a lot more challenging.
              I personally would also not want to go back to a wired controller after enjoying the freedom of wireless, which points to Frankenslot as the only current wireless choice (Monte?). I have a set of wireless Frankenslots on one of my tracks and really end up gravitating back to the standard wireless Carrera controllers. One downside of the wireless Frankenslots is dealing with the batteries & switching them on and off every time you use them. They have reasonable life if you remember to switch them off every time but it's just one more thing to mess with when you want to run a few laps.

Good luck

Ed
              Last edited by edmagner; October 31, 2019, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input Ed. I've only had one issue with the standard controllers and have no experience with the current trigger controllers out there but you are right, I could never go back to a wired controller. Does the Frankenslot controller also require 2 handed operation?
                Dave
                Dave
                Saginaw Valley Raceway
                Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

I generally prefer a trigger style controller but find the Carrera DIGITAL 132 wireless controller to offer excellent control. I've used the wireless controllers for several years and haven't had any issues with the lane change button. It seems you would have to press the button really hard to break it.
                  Last edited by BRS Hobbies; October 31, 2019, 02:37 PM.
                  BRS Hobbies - Online shopping for slot cars in all scales, RC crawlers & more!

Comment

We have lots of guest race here. Our track is our “pool table”. Lots of man cave racing and family nights with kids running. 5e younger kids have a ball with the cars slowed way down to prevent deslots. Great fun but yes hey can be hard on controllers. Other than tires wearing faster than expected, the cars have held up remarkably well!

Comment

Originally posted by Slotspeed View Post
                      Bruce, it sounds like you have been sold in your mind with regards to trigger controllers, but I have some part numbers/order numbers for replacement microswitches to fix the plunger type controllers, let me know if you would like them.
                      We haven’t bought anything yet, so options are still open. The wireless has many advantages and I like the freedom, especially when driving with one or two drivers on the big table. I do want to drive both trigger and thumb controller for comparison. I’d also like to fix my current controllers and get them operational again as well.

check your pm’s. Thanks,

Bruce

Comment

Hi Bruce,

There have been a number of people mentioning microswitch failures in other forums. Found this RS order number 741-0934 which looks to be almost exactly the same part. But may need to remove the plastic extension from the actuator lever. They are cheap enough though. Just for interest, manufacturer data sheet mentions life expectancy of 50k cycles and additional manufacturer information says "Optimum switching reliability is achieved when the pretravel and overtravel are fully exploited" as well as saying things about the speed of actuation.

I also found an alternate part number and photos of an adaptation of such part on another forum, I will need to look for it though, will post here again later.

Cheers,
                        Steve.
                        Last edited by Slotspeed; October 31, 2019, 05:24 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

Comment

Dave

Yeah, I use 2 hands on the Frankenslot controller. If you try to use it one handed you have to hold your thumb in the air just off the lane change button at the same time you're pulling on the trigger...thumb gets tired and you make lane changes you don't want to make..

Also....I have 12 carrera wireless controllers in use and have never had an issue with the buttons - some rough use with little ones..

Here's what it looks like one handing a Frankenslot
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-10-31 21.08.42.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	4264

Comment

How do you like the Frankenslot controller? Is it worth the extra cost?
                            BRS Hobbies - Online shopping for slot cars in all scales, RC crawlers & more!

Comment

I have a Slotit scp 1.1 wired controller that I used for analog. A couple years ago I picked up a digital cartridge for it from the Scaley or Hornby sight on sale for $27. The adjustment knobs for power and curve adjustment work with digital [although not quite as noticeable as with analog in my opinion]. The brake adjustment knob does not seem to work with digital. There is also a full brake button on the controller and I seem to remember that this does work with digital, but I prefer light braking.
                              Greg [Mr.Flippant on the forum] is very knowledgeable when it comes to Slotit controllers and digital. I believe he posted a video on the old forum of the Slotit controller being used with digital and explaining what he is doing in the video as it goes along.
                              I have been running Carrera wireless controllers since the infrared were introduced. I have both infrared and 2.4ghz controllers and still use both. I just can't go back to wired controllers after using wireless and the freedom they provide.
                              As Ed stated about the Frankenslot controller, I find it easier to use 2 hands on the Slotit controller as well.
                              Randy

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              UA-149438709-1