Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a couple of machine guns and a spiked helmet

Hello
    I am sure that all of us who grew up in the 60's and 70's had this Hot Wheel in their collection. So when I stumbled upon this model , in 1 32nd scale. it was a must have.
    No amount of time and after market parts could make this model a racer, so next best thing a pace car!
    Considering performance is not a real concern ,it is a crude conversion. The motor was hot glued in . the rear axle is slipped into brass tubing that was also hot glued in place ,
    then I cut out the center section of the tubing to make room for the axle gear . The front end also has brass tubing ,hot glue and a guide pin holder fashioned out of brass bits from my scrap box. At first i was using a slottechnik digital chip but found I found out those chips do not support the pace car function ,so i had to do some redesigning to be able to fit in a carrera chip. And the lights are mini LEDs .
    Fast it is not , but it makes a pretty cool pace ,, and a bonus of some great childhood memories
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20220329_182940_HDR.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	3.02 MB
ID:	157516

Name:	20220324_190138_HDR.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	3.15 MB
ID:	157517

Name:	20220324_190154_HDR.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	157518

Name:	20220407_180559_HDR.jpg
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	157519

Name:	20220407_180623_HDR.jpg
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	157521
    Attached Files

Now that’s cool I think every kid had one of those hot wheels 👍
    Dave
    Peterborough Ont
    CANADA

Comment

Childhood memories live! Great project

Comment

A Red Baron pace car. That's very cool. Nice work.
        Come Race at The Trace!
        Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
        https://cults3d.com/en/users/chappyman662/creations

Comment

That is cool, I would paint it black and call it "Dark Helmet" from the "Spaceballs" movie. That huge chapeau looks more like his helmet than anything any Red Baron would have, and what fighter pilot wore a chromed steel helmet anyway???! You guys must be young whippersnappers because the Monogram Red Baron model was out before any Hot Wheels version, and Hot Wheels period. I bought that model new back in the olden days, the chrome on the helmet was covered with glue fingerprints when I was finished, and so was everything else.
          I eventually blew it up with firecrackers like I did with all my models. I don't know why but it just feels so good to take something you spent a lot of time and effort on and destroying it. Self destructive human nature?
          Last edited by Bluevista; April 8, 2022, 01:22 AM. Reason: I forget
          Allan

Comment

Sub-zero cool. Excellent.

Comment

What a fun and cool conversion!

Comment

Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1