Carrera 132 Control Unit Stalling out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrera 132 Control Unit Stalling out

Hi all, long time Home Slot Racer here. We have a 75 or so foot track set up for a few years now. Factory power supply, carrera digital 132 cars only. I recently replaced a tired E-200 motor with a Pirahna 21,500 motor. Broke the motor in on the bench and it runs very nicely. When I go to start a race with just two cars on the track, when the race starts and both cars start at the same time, the CU browns out or stalls and resets like there is too large an amp draw. We experienced something similar years ago when trying to run too many cars at once. Curious if anyone has run into something similar, or has a suggestion. I’m going to try another identical Pirahna motor in another car and see if the same thing happens but I was hoping that the very slight increase in motor RPM would not impact anything. Open to ideas or suggestions, and thank you in advance!

JPM

While I don't run the factory power supply I can't imagine the Pirahna motor causing that much of a problem. On my amp gage it only draws just under 2 amps at start up with the cars I have. I have several running along with a lot bigger draw motors without any issues. It's a good idea trying a different motor as there could be an issue with the motor. In the future you may want to also upgrade to an aftermarket power supply. It's a relatively cheap upgrade.
    Dave
    Dave
    Saginaw Valley Raceway
    Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

The analog Carrera cars I have all have motors wound for 15 volts. All of the upgrade motors I have found are wound for 12 volts. Running a motor above rated voltage causes heat buildup and excessive amp draw. I scrapped the Carrera motors and power supply and went to NSR motors and adjustable power supplies running 10.5 volts. I don't know if that is an option with digital.

Comment

Appreciate the responses. I really wasn’t looking to upgrade power supplies at the moment. I’ll try another motor and see what happens. In my research, it sounds like the Carrera CU is rated for 8 amps, so if one E-200 and one Pirahna 21.5k motor are exceeding that, there is something else going on. Appreciate the quick response, I’ll post back some findings.

Comment

You are correct on the Cu being rated for 8 amps. Every car I have has an upgraded motor and I run my voltage at 17V (Track voltage around 15-16) Never had an issue with running multiple cars. If you swap motors and the problem persists you may have a Cu issue. Bal, you can't run the digital system with less than 12V. The electronics won't function properly.
          Dave
          Dave
          Saginaw Valley Raceway

Comment

• Bal r 14
            Bal r 14 commented
            Editing a comment
            I guess I have a lot to learn about digital. I couldn't imagine running my cars at 17v. They are impossible to handle at 12v.

It's set at 17V, probably 15-16 at the rails. The reason I do that is to cover any lazy lane changers that are getting old that may switch a little slower. That doesn't mean the cars are running at that voltage. With the CU being adjustable the cars are turned down to 30-40% power.
          Dave
          Dave
          Saginaw Valley Raceway

Comment

Originally posted by Cjmace View Post
            Hi all, long time Home Slot Racer here. We have a 75 or so foot track set up for a few years now. Factory power supply, carrera digital 132 cars only. I recently replaced a tired E-200 motor with a Pirahna 21,500 motor. Broke the motor in on the bench and it runs very nicely. When I go to start a race with just two cars on the track, when the race starts and both cars start at the same time, the CU browns out or stalls and resets like there is too large an amp draw. We experienced something similar years ago when trying to run too many cars at once. Curious if anyone has run into something similar, or has a suggestion. I’m going to try another identical Pirahna motor in another car and see if the same thing happens but I was hoping that the very slight increase in motor RPM would not impact anything. Open to ideas or suggestions, and thank you in advance!

JPM
            Just saw this post. You are not overloading the CU. The problem you're experiencing comes from voltage drop. The original Carrera Power supplies are NOT regulated, which means when there's a higher current demand the voltage drops, meaning the voltage provided by the power supply drops momentarily to 6 volts or less. When that happens the CU shuts down because it needs a minimum of 6.5 volts to run. That's why it immedeately turns back on again, just like it does when you turn the switch to off and then on again. While you aren't damaging the CU, it's an annoying problem.

All stock power supplies get waker over time. The capacitors inside lose their ability to hold a charge and this is the result you get.
            People don't stop playing because they get old, people get old because they stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bal r 14 View Post
              The analog Carrera cars I have all have motors wound for 15 volts. All of the upgrade motors I have found are wound for 12 volts. Running a motor above rated voltage causes heat buildup and excessive amp draw. I scrapped the Carrera motors and power supply and went to NSR motors and adjustable power supplies running 10.5 volts. I don't know if that is an option with digital.
              You are right, but not in this instance. A 12 volt rating just tells the consumer how many RPM's the motor will turn with no load at a specific voltage, but it is by no means a voltage limit. A Piranha motor can easily take up to 20 volts, with a normal load. Running an electric motor at anything under 18 volts shouldn't present a problem. However, if the power supply is underpowered and not providign enough amps, you can get excessive heat build-up. And the heat build-up causes more resistance in the windings, which causes even more heat build up. But thats in extreme cases. In the case of the OP, he needs to go back to E200 motors, or replace the original power supply with a new unit or an adjustable power supply.
              Last edited by CarlosInSeattle; January 20, 2022, 07:51 PM. Reason: Typos
              People don't stop playing because they get old, people get old because they stop playing.

Comment

Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1