Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aftermarket controllers compatible with Carrera Digital?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket controllers compatible with Carrera Digital?

The guys I was running analog with last night had SlotIt controllers that were compatible with Oxygen, but not Carrera's native digital protocol. What's out there that provides the same level of tweaking for us Carrera people?

Have a look at both the Truspeed and Digital Racing Solutuions controllers for Carrera............not as many gizmos as the Slot-it controllers, but versatile, well made, and all the adjustments needed for home type racing..........plug and play.

(The Truespeed has had very good reviews !!)

Cheers
    Chris Walker
    Last edited by chrisguyw; October 8, 2021, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for!

Comment

Originally posted by RexCadral View Post
        Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for!
        Rex, I just spent a bunch of time researching this myself. I ended up choosing the TruSpeed and am very happy with it. Note that you may need to remove the magnets on your car for the variable knob to be more noticeable. I don't believe that this is anything specific to TruSpeed as you're essentially having to override actual magnetism otherwise.

Bill
        Eugene, OR
        Thingiverse stuff

Comment

I've had DRS and TruSpeed for awhile now (absolutely abhor thumb plunger controllers) and according to everyone who's come to race, the TruSpeed with lane change button and sensitivity knob is the clear winner in our books. Smoother and the ergonomics is more comfortable, somehow the squarish body allows to hold it with a much lighter grip.

Here's the one that we are using, I've bought three of them and one DRS.
          http://race.cincyslots.com/shop-124-...arrera-tracks/

Comment

I use Frankenslot and True speed controllers. Frankenslot trigger is the smoothest I have ever used, that includes Slot-it, which I also have when I go to my friends place.
            Tony
            Pass Christian, MS

Comment

Nothing wrong with any of the above recommendations, but I wanted to correct what appears to be a mistaken belief that the slot.it SCP can't work with Carrera Digital. It absolutely can. You just need the Digital cartridge for it, just like you need an analog cartridge for analog racing, or an oxigen one for oxigen racing, etc. If you want all the tweaks the controller offers, you can have them. Well, except brakes, but not because of the controller. Carrera Digital doesn't support a controller adjusting the brakes, so that still needs to be set in the CU.

The SCP3 does not speak the same wireless as the Carrera 2.4Ghz wireless controllers, though. If you want wireless with the SCP, that's a bit more complex and expensive, but it can also be done with slot.it products (namely the CRI being the receiver for the wireless signal, which is then plugged in by wire via the digital cartridge to the CU).

By the way, I also have a DRS controller, and it's great. I've used both the DRS and SCP on my Carrera Digital track, and they both work well. I prefer the SCP because that's what I'm most comfortable with, but am happy to use the DRS. I have other TruSpeed controllers, so would expect those to be top notch for Carrera Digital as well. Not tried Frankenslot, but people say good things about them.
              Last edited by MrFlippant; October 14, 2021, 07:12 PM.

Comment

I suppose I should mention that I'm only looking for wired controllers. Wireless, although fantastic for walkaround, is a bit of a PIA when it comes to getting the transmitters/chargers on the layout, then there's the fact that because the chargers are integrated into the layout, you need to keep the layout "hot" to charge the batteries, which IMHO is a giant waste of electricity. My basement is pretty tight, wired controllers are fine.

Comment

• Scatman
                  Scatman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have wired/wireless version

Price out the slot.it SCP201d from your favorite slot shop, then.

Comment

I ended up going with the TruSpeed Carrera D-VI controllers. Very happy with the purchase. They are super-pro looking. Love that you can change the trigger length out and you can set the trigger tension, something I sorely missed when I borrowed a friend's Slot.It controller.

https://www.truspeed.co.uk/collectio...car-controller

I do find that depending on your grip style, it may be a two-hander, your main hand for the trigger and your off hand for the lane changer button. It's an adult-sized controller, and I've got big hands, but putting my thumb up by the lane change button forces me to grip the controller more tightly than I'd like, particularly since I'm a 2-finger driver.

I also find that the "throw" on the lane change button is really long, something that will take getting used to.

Other than that, the controls work as advertised. The trigger feels great, there's plenty of cable, and my lap times have tumbled.

Comment

Originally posted by RexCadral View Post
                    I do find that depending on your grip style, it may be a two-hander, your main hand for the trigger and your off hand for the lane changer button. It's an adult-sized controller, and I've got big hands, but putting my thumb up by the lane change button forces me to grip the controller more tightly than I'd like, particularly since I'm a 2-finger driver.
                    That's how I hold any controller, especially for digital. Even with the OEM Carrera controller, it's a lot easier to control both things with separate hands, than to try to do throttle and LC with the same hand.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFlippant View Post
                      Nothing wrong with any of the above recommendations, but I wanted to correct what appears to be a mistaken belief that the slot.it SCP can't work with Carrera Digital. It absolutely can. You just need the Digital cartridge for it, just like you need an analog cartridge for analog racing, or an oxigen one for oxigen racing, etc. If you want all the tweaks the controller offers, you can have them. Well, except brakes, but not because of the controller. Carrera Digital doesn't support a controller adjusting the brakes, so that still needs to be set in the CU.

The SCP3 does not speak the same wireless as the Carrera 2.4Ghz wireless controllers, though. If you want wireless with the SCP, that's a bit more complex and expensive, but it can also be done with slot.it products (namely the CRI being the receiver for the wireless signal, which is then plugged in by wire via the digital cartridge to the CU).

By the way, I also have a DRS controller, and it's great. I've used both the DRS and SCP on my Carrera Digital track, and they both work well. I prefer the SCP because that's what I'm most comfortable with, but am happy to use the DRS. I have other TruSpeed controllers, so would expect those to be top notch for Carrera Digital as well. Not tried Frankenslot, but people say good things about them.
                      One of the local tracks runs D132, do I want the universal digital Cartridge? Will it just plug in to the track with the same type of cable?

Comment

Originally posted by Tuner28 View Post

One of the local tracks runs D132, do I want the universal digital Cartridge? Will it just plug in to the track with the same type of cable?
                        The Slot.it SCP Universal Digital cartridge comes with all the necessary cables to tap into the power (as it needs power of its own), and connect to the control unit for Carrera D132/D124 as well as Scalextric Digital, Ninco, and SCX Digital systems. Yes, it plugs into the CU using the same kind of cable as OEM Carrera controllers use.

If you don't already have an SCP controller, you can get the SCP201d, which is the SCP2 and the Universal Digital cartridge as a kit.
                        If you already have an SCP of any kind, you can get the SCP201e to plug into your existing handle.

Comment

Ok

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          UA-149438709-1