Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preventing short circuits on Carrera Digital track?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventing short circuits on Carrera Digital track?

I've noticed that when I have parties, the incidence of the command module beeping its head off and going disco lights is way more common than when it's just me on the track. Simple math, really, 6 cars vs 1. Shorts during races are a major buzz kill. What should I be doing to reduce the chances of short circuits? In a lot of cases, simply resetting the command module solves the problem, even if I don't lift a single car from the track. Keep in mind this is a really stock setup, I haven't disassembled anything with wires in it. Is it the gray dust that builds up in the slot and on the guides?

i would be thinking it is the braids causing you the problem. if they look all spread out and are mess that all it takes for them to short across the rails.. need to keep then neat and tidy...
    THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
    Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

Another possibility is that one or more of your cars has a partly shorted motor, that would cause the control unit to shut down. If you had a power supply with a built in amp meter that problem would be easy to spot.

Comment

We are having a somewhat the same problem. For no reason we can figure out the CU starts to do random beeps and the cars start flashing lights. we have changed power supplies, check track and jumper wires, cleaned rails, done CU resets, turned off fuel (no pit lane installed yet), unplugged the RMS, with no change. I don't think it's a short as we have done a couple intentional shorts and the CU acts like it should. The higher we turn up the power the sooner and more often it happens. Seems to be no good answer on the web I can find.

Comment

Are all the cars stock Carrera?

The Carrera FAQ says it could be a problem with a decoder when it does that too. Seems unlikely if it does it with all the cars unless they're all bad? Too much draw or an intermittent short somewhere, CU or a decoder heats up and bleh. I used to have a can of cold spray to find intermittents, why or where I got it I don't know because I know nothing about electronics.
          Allan

Comment

Update - I've tuned the braids on all my cars to be "tidy" for tomorrow's racing so we'll see how it goes.

Comment

It took awhile to solve the beeping problem and lights flashing on the CU as we converted the track to run both digital and analog. It came down to weak connections that had developed over the years on the analog track. With all the power taps these were not noticeable when running analog. With digital the bad joints with high resistance drove the CU nuts especially with the power turned up. So after checking all the joints and fixing any that read over 5 ohms resistance all is well. Having the ability to race several car, change lines, wireless, controllers, and all the other digital features is more fun then we imagined. But with the flip of a switch we can still race all the analog cars. So like 3D printing digital has again expanded the hobby for us and created a new enthusiasm within our group. It’s all good!

Comment

My problem turned out to be fraying pickup braids. Once I'd gone through the fleet and tidied them all up, the problem went away entirely.

Comment

• docdoom
                  docdoom commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep that was all ways my issue when I had my scalertix track up and running.
              Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1