Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrera 'tuning' axles 1/24

Hello all

I see Carrera offers 'tuning' axles for their 1/24 cars. I was wondering if anyone has played with them and what the results are?

It is hard to work out what the benefit would be. The standard gear pinion combo seems to be Z50 - 10T
    Then the offer a Z48 for a 12T and a Z46 for 14T - so the ratio goes 5:1 - 4:1 and then 3.28:1 -

Curious to know of any difference in running them. I would image that the Z46 would end up with higher speed but would be slower on the cornering?

cheers
    David
    Dangermouse to the rescue.

You're exactly right David. Higher numerically equals better acceleration but lower top speed. I can't imagine anyone wanting to run a lower gear on their cars as that would really only benefit a high speed track. I have a 20' straight and my cars are still pulling hard at the end of it with the standard gearing. If I changed to smaller gearing they would never reach speed. Another thing to consider is the weight of the 1/24 Carrera cars. Can you say a brick. These cars need the higher gear to get moving quickly. As a side note, I run 4 different motors in all my 1/24 cars. They range a little in torque ratings but you can feel the difference in acceleration. It would be the same with the gears.
    Dave
    Dave
    Saginaw Valley Raceway
    Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

Thanks Dave

I found the drop in ratio interesting, quite a leap from a 1:5 to a 1:3.28

I am also find the 1:5 ratio interesting couldn't imagine doing that with a a 1/32 car - yet it seems that often 1/24 cars are geared with higher (or is that lower) ratios. They often seem to have 40t+ gears with anything from 10-14t pinions. Is that partly due to motor size? I suppose you wouldn't get a smaller gear to mesh on some of the larger motors. But then I have still seen that on 1/24 cars running FK-130 or FK-180 motors.

cheers
      David
      Last edited by GT40 Racer (DM); October 5, 2020, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GT40 Racer (DM) View Post
        Thanks Dave

often 1/24 cars are geared with higher (or is that lower) ratios. They often seem to have 40t+ gears with anything from 10-14t pinions. Is that partly due to motor size? I suppose you wouldn't get a smaller gear to mesh on some of the larger motors. But that I have still seen that on 1/24 cars running FK-130 or FK-180 motors.

cheers
        David
        Maybe it has something to do with the fact that 1/24 cars use larger diameter rear tires.......which do affect the final ratio

Cheers
        Chris Walker

Comment

Thanks Chris - hence why the 1/24 racers I know have roll out charts - but no one at our club talks much about it.

Comment

I was looking at gear ratio when I plan on building my 1/24 drag cars , what ratio would be good starting point

Comment

• chrisguyw
              chrisguyw commented
              Editing a comment
              Need more info Fathead..................specifically what motor do you plan on running ??, and, strip voltage, and , will you running on a 55ft strip ??

• Fathead59
              Fathead59 commented
              Editing a comment
              chrisguyw , the only drag track that I have seen was at Mid-America in Naperville , I would think that it was 55 ' track , I was looking at gear ratio first , I have a few different motors . Was thinking on doing a test and tune with different motors combos . I have a couple of 40,000 and 25,000 rpm motors , I thought it would be the gearing , faster off the line . But with that , that is you and the controller and not jumping the light .

I think it has more to do to the weight than anything else. These cars are almost 2 1/2 times the weight of a standard slot car. That's a lot of weight to get moving. Also Carrera's stock motor is rated at 650g*cm TORQUE which is huge compared to other slot car motors to also get it moving. If I'm not mistaken you can change the pinion without changing the gear. I believe (don't quote me) that Slot-it's 6.5mm pinion is the same diameter as Carrera's. They start at 10T and go up from there so you could try different ratios without changing the axle gear. You could only go down (numerically) though.
            Dave
            Dave
            Saginaw Valley Raceway

Comment

First, basic information. You do have some pinion options even with the standard 50 tooth axles. You "can" run a Slot.it 6.5mm sidewinder 11T pinion with the standard rear axle, just be sure it's the correct pinion. Like Dave said 6.5mm, not the 6mm. You can also run the 6.5mm 10 tooth pinion from Slot.it, but with a little more gear noise.

For standard Tuning axles you keep the number at 60 total:
              10 tooth pinion 50 tooth axle
              12 tooth pinion and 48 tooth axle
              14 tooth pinion and 46 tooth axle.

And the BMW M1's come standard with the 14/46 combo to compensate for the smaller diameter rear tires. Funny thing is I think the new D124 Capri has the standard 10/50 ration and it runs fine with the smaller diameter rear tires.
              People don't stop playing because they get old, people get old because they stop playing.

Comment

I forgot about the BMW M1s gearing. Probably because we don't race them - we tend to run classics or GTs. We raced the DTMs for the first time a couple of weeks back.

The reason we don't race the BMWs is with the gearing being different and the lower profile it seems to make them quicker.

Comment

These cars that I have seen on uTube are 1/24 scale not 1/32 scale , so the that was the gearing I was looking into , not sure the size motors but with that being said SSC has motors from mid-america that are drag motors that are group 12 speed if that help

Comment

And there's always the RMS-124 motor for Carrera, which I think is a great choice ...but DM knows about those already.

Carlos
                    People don't stop playing because they get old, people get old because they stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosInSeattle View Post
                      And there's always the RMS-124 motor for Carrera, which I think is a great choice ...but DM knows about those already.

Carlos
                      https://yarn.co/yarn-clip/02a97a69-6...1-33f725efb420

Dave
                      Saginaw Valley Raceway

Comment

Originally posted by Fathead59 View Post
                        These cars that I have seen on uTube are 1/24 scale not 1/32 scale , so the that was the gearing I was looking into , not sure the size motors but with that being said SSC has motors from mid-america that are drag motors that are group 12 speed if that help
                        Again, ...more (much more) info is needed, .....you choose a gear ratio based on the motor specifics /rear tire dia./track voltage/track glue. And while you indicate that you have been looking at Gp 12 arms/motors , these do differ greatly, depending on stack diameter, comm timing, magnets, air gap, and set-up, all of which have numerous variables..............so,...........GP 12 motors are not all created equal, particularly when speaking of Drag motors..................then you factor in the rear tire diameter and all the rest of the elements .

So if you still are looking for a gear ratio answer without the above critical info, I will be happy to narrow it down for you..............somewhere between 4 to 1, and 7 to 1

Cheers
                        Chris Walker
                        Last edited by chrisguyw; October 6, 2020, 02:15 PM.

Comment

I understand what you are say Chris , and you gave me what I was looking for

Comment

Rear wheel size will be 1" tall or higher , don't think they would be over 1 1/2 " tall

Comment

• chrisguyw
                              chrisguyw commented
                              Editing a comment
                              While a few folks/classes run a 1 1/2 inch rear tire dia., the most common rear dia. is 1 3/16.

We should likely start a new thread, as we have fairly comprehensively hijacked Davids' initial thread..........sorry David !!
                              Last edited by chrisguyw; October 6, 2020, 02:23 PM.
                          Working...
                          X
                          UA-149438709-1