• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Bobby, he was 87

Bobby Unser has left us , he was fast!
    https://racer.com/2021/05/03/bobby-unser-1934-2021/
    Courtney Smith
    Chattanooga TN

Strange how I am surprised when one of my racer heroes dies. Somehow, they became immortal in my young mind, and they stayed that way. But if any of those guys was going to beat death, Bobby Unser would be the one to do it. Foyt would scare death, but Bobby would smile his way right through it. Death has no chance. Bobby's still with us as long as we remember that smile and that slippery way of dealing with traffic.

Comment

Back in 2010 while at Mosport for the IMSA sportscar race a fellow slot racer, who was working in some capacity for the race, asked me to take some pictures of Bobby Unser, who was there as one of the races' "honourees", next to his pace lap "ride". I gladly obliged and afterward a couple other slot racing buddies and I had our picture taken with Bobby, and we all awkwardly asked him some racing questions, to which he graciously replied. A soft-spoken, true class act and general nice guy.

I forwarded the image file to an email and was told that it would be printed and displayed at an automotive museum (somewhere, I forget the details now).

Click image for larger version

Name:	BUnser_Mosport2010.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	96886
      PetesLightKits

Comment

Sad day indeed, another one of the greats leaves us. Safe journey Bobby Unser.
        Mike - Galena Ohio

"When you're back there with the squirrels, you're bound to get your nuts cracked." - Graham Rahal

https://www.hrwforum.com/forum/hrw-a...gends-bullring

Comment

RIP and Godspeed, Bobby.
          Come Race at The Trace!
          Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
          https://www.thingiverse.com/chappyman66/designs

Comment

I got to meet him at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway about 5 years ago during the SVRA rally. Extremely nice guy.

RIP Bobby
            Butch Dunaway
            Oxford, Ohio

Comment

He had a good long life and is among the best drivers from the best era of racing in America. Unsers are probably the #1 family of racers in America.
              Matt B
              So. In
              Crashers

Comment

He sure did, class act, all of them, and a heck of a wheel. Godspeed,

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuQqs9bf-pI
                  THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
                  Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

One of my favorite things about slot car racing is being able to honor the best cars and drivers in a timeless manner. Bobby and Al Unser will continue to compete at Shepherd Speedway.

The #92 Torino was originally built as a Pikes Peak record setting car but as seen below has been repurposed as a dirt oval racer in the Grand National - NASCAR series.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bobby & Al Unser GNN 2.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	685.4 KB
ID:	97053

Comment

I met Mr. Unser at the inaugural IndyCar (CART) race at Nazareth, PA. The race was over, and I picked him right out of the crowd that was moving from the grandstand area. I made a beeline for him and just said hello and shook the hand of a multiple Indy 500 champion. I said thanks and let him go on his way through the crowd, I can't believe no one else was hounding him for an autograph or picture! I know his nephew Al Junior was in that race. I think hometown boy Michael Andretti won, he was driving the #18 yellow and blue KRACO sponsored car then.
                      This was after Roger Penske had bought the place and had it paved... mirror smooth and fast! When I was telling friends about the track I remember saying that if you painted the 8 lane colors around the track surface it would have looked like a slot car track - it was so well manicured. The pole speed was close to 170 mph - on a 5 cornered circle track with a 60 foot elevation change! Too bad that place didn't last. I believe they were running some NASCAR series races there (not Cup), including the pavement Modifieds. Cool place, and close enough to Long Island for me to attend many races in it's day.
                      Meeting Mr. Unser there that day was an unexpected pleasure. RIP, Indy 500 champion and motorports friend. -- Ernie

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      UA-149438709-1