Weekend in Hospital. Prostate cancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weekend in Hospital. Prostate cancer

Taking a page from Davids experience, I too want to share something important to all Men. Because of David’s experience and sharing, it gave me a person to reach out to and help me through this. I am offering the same to anyone out there

Hopefully all of you are aware that for the vast majority of men, it is not a matter of if you will get prostate cancer but a matter of when. Early detection is the key, and it is that that I will focus on.

When I was working my company required annual physicals and blood work . Part of this was the PSA blood check for prostate cancer. Now although this test can give false positives it will not give a false negative. This is what detected an issue for me. Never had a reason to believe or had a sympton to make me think I had an issue, but the elevated PSA numbers indicated something possibly was not right

So for the last few years, I have had a biopsy that came back inconclusive, and I went on an MRI screening program to keep an eye on things and quarterly PSA checks. The early detection did cause me some anxiety and the inconclusive biopsy had me wondering if all this worry was for nothing. I consoled myself with the fact that at least it was being watched closely. PSA numbers stabilized but then went on a slight rise again. Doc suggested another biopsy and this time they detected cancer. I elected to go with surgery and a complete removal, as this perhaps offered the best “cure”

Surgery went well, As I was operated on on Friday, and here it is Monday and I am sitting on my couch and I am telling you this story. .

Undetected this cancer can spread and cause an early demise, but if caught early enough is one of the cancers with the highest cure rate..

Point of this whole story is I had no physical signs anything was wrong,. My dad lived until he was 98, and had no genetic signal I might have a problem. The whole screening process was started because of the simple PSA blood test. That screening process was responsible for the early detection and possibly the final treatment.

Sure it is a huge kick in the gut and provides a valley that you must cross. But it is valley made crossable because of awareness and medical technology.

If you are over 50 use the PSA blood test to protect yourself. The irony of this is a friend of mine ( doctor) died at 64 with a cancer that started in his prostate and went undetected until it went mobile.

Hopefully this message will spur some of you to be proactive in this matter. A PSA test is good tool to keep an eye on things. My prayers are none of you have to go through this but the statistical reality is 50% will. Give yourself a chance and be proactive. Your grandchildren will thank you

Cheers

Dan

Last edited by Barc 1; April 12, 2021, 10:47 AM.
    Cheers

Dan
    G.P Alberta

PSA screenings are the key. Good that you were on top of it, and nipped it in the bud. Get well, and stay well.
    Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA
    Facebook-
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100018917899105
    YouTube-
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCB2327w8u_O8RjKeY4kFonQ

Comment

Sorry Dan, appreciate your candor. As we get older there are a lot of things we should be doing as routine preventive maintenance but sometimes put off. This is not one of them.
      Dave
      Dave
      Saginaw Valley Raceway
      Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

Yes it is not like getting in a tread mill and running for 45 minutes a day. You go to the clinic once a year get poked. That is it. Everyone has the time to do it and should
        Cheers

Dan
        G.P Alberta

Comment

Dan thanks for your candor and story. Also guys don't forget to get your colonoscopy. My doctor found a polyp which was cancerous. Had my 5th chemo treatment last week. Colorectal Cancer is the second leading cancer killer behind lung cancer. The doctors say that it is incurable and can only be managed. When it was discovered I took the path of least resistance. Hindsight I should have had the larger surgery and had the lymph nodes removed. But when the doctor tells you an 85% success rate with the smaller surgery what would you do? Glad to know you are doing well. I have 11 more chemo treatments to go. My Tumor markers have gone from a high of 33 and last weeks numbers were 8.9. Goal is to get under 4.7.

So guys go to the doctor every year. Get that Colonoscopy if not every ten years every five years. The rectal exam is a cake walk compared to chemo.
          Arrold Martin
          Nashville TN

Comment

Hope you will be good and thanks for sharing!

Comment

Thanks Dan for sharing your experience.

I get blood tests every 6 months as recommended to monitor cholesterol levels and possible side effects of some medications I'm on. Once a year my doctor adds a PSA test to the lab order, which is just another test they do at the lab with the same blood sample. So far so good, my PSA number is in the safe range. The key thing as I see it is being informed to be able to make smart choices as needed.

According to The American Cancer Society - Prostate cancer is most common in North America, northwestern Europe, Australia, and on Caribbean islands. But as we all know, individual results will vary. Find out for yourself by getting the PSA test which is recommended starting between 40 and 50.

Comment

Arnold

Thumbs up on the colonoscopy advice as well. I have one of those slated this year as well. (2nd one). It may be unpleasant, but like all cancers the sooner it is detected the better the outcome.

Prayers are with you.

Met a gent in hospital who was getting his colonoscopy bag removed and his plumbing put back together. Had been through 32 chemo sessions and had half his liver removed, and his prognosis was very good.

It sucks to get old, and I have gone on point to tell my Children 60 is not just another birthday. After 60, any control you thought you had quickly fades to the reality we have no real control, and are passengers along for the ride. Wake up every day and enjoy it for what it is .
                Cheers

Dan
                G.P Alberta

Comment

Thanks for sharing,just went thru the same thing last year..
                  Hang in there ,the 1st week is the worst,gets much better after that..
                  Wishing you the very best!
                  Rusty
                  Humboldt ,out in the country in west Tn...

Comment

Really glad to hear you were on top of it Dan,
                    PSA with the annual CBC blood test is a huge simple key.
                    Keep after it guys,

Comment

If you've never had one, colonoscopy's are nothing. The only bad thing is you can't eat for about a day and a half before it. No problem drinking the liquid to get cleaned out.

I get my PSA checked twice a year, so far, so good. As mentioned, if you live long enough you will get prostate cancer. Thankfully it's a cancer in most cases you can live with for a long time. I'm 70 and I'd have to really think about an operation or chemo at my age if I got prostate cancer.
                      Butch Dunaway
                      Oxford, Ohio

Comment

I reached out to David when he was diagnosed. I had Da Vinci surgery about 12-13 years ago. I had elevated psa, then 4 biopsies over a 2 year period and finally got a positive on one sample that always had come back as inconclusive. I had two years to check out the options. I was 57 and the docs I worked with all said surgery. No chance it can come back and you are still young enough for nerves to grow back and you still have working parts. They were right and I was back to work in 2 weeks and all was well.

The only issue that may be fairly common is scar tissue where the uretha is sewn back together. There are ways to correct that if it is recurring and a bother. For me it is just like enlarged prostate symptoms. I get up a few times at nite!

Today the 40 day radiation treatment is quite common and very successful, too. Big thing is not be too manly to get yourself checked out regularly and do an annual psa test.
                        Matt B
                        So. In
                        Crashers

Comment

• Barc 1
                          Barc 1 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes I was given the radiation option, but felt it was a procedure that kept on giving. Continued cell degradation over time until it might actually affect your bowel control later in life was a remote consequence that I had trouble with.

At 63 the operation seemed the best way to remove the problem. Robotic surgery and I am here today to tell everyone the process was not bad.

Now only two days into the recovery I can’t speak of many after effects, but I am here to say I travelled 450 km in a car and have already taken a slot car for a spin around the track in my basement layout room.

Got a little dizzy last night at the end of the day and had my better half whispering some advice in my ear which I listened too, LOL.

Yes, they told me if I was 10 years older (73 ) they would have suggested do nothing but monitor, and if it looked like it was getting out of control maybe radiation treatments

Good news is that medical science is moving ahead, and perhaps in the near future this diagnosis will bring about gene therapy to get your immune system to battle it.

Not there yet so unfortunately I had to act on where science is today.

As more guys speak up it should become evident this is not about being one of the unlucky few. This path lays ahead for a lot of us. So stay on guard and give yourself the best chance
                        Last edited by Barc 1; April 12, 2021, 01:45 PM.
                        Cheers

Dan
                        G.P Alberta

Comment

I have had prostate cancer for about 10 years. My brother had it as well. He had his treated with radiation. I haven't done anything yet, as mine is progressing very slowly and I'll probably die from something else first. I'm 77.

Comment

• mattb
                            mattb commented
                            Editing a comment
                            This is a pretty common situation. Younger men should not be afraid to get checked. There are varieties and degrees of prostate cancer. Some is slow and some is fast. I don't know enough to be more specific, but there are variations.

Barc
                          Glad to hear you were able to go through the procedure and share your comments as it is a good reference check for us all. Have been through Stage 4 myself. If anyone ever needs to speak about the big "C" please reach out to me...please remember the biggest challenge is not knowing. Be safe ... be happy ... be you and remember every day is a gift so please make the best of each one...
                          Aloha
                          Dale

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          UA-149438709-1