Pork Chops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pork Chops

I know Harry is the food guru but I had to post this. Talk about being at the market at the right time. These babies were 1 3/4" thick and just over a 1 lb each, all for 99 cents a lb. They grilled up great. Sent my wife back to the store to pick up another 5 pack.
    Dave

For reference that platter is 15" across.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210322_170341.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.58 MB ID:	89249
    Last edited by dw5555; March 23, 2021, 01:50 AM.
    Dave
    Saginaw Valley Raceway
    Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

I bet those would have been nice in a smoker

Comment

They look yummy luckily I I have a store in town with a steady supply of chops like that
      Dave
      Peterborough Ont
      CANADA

Comment

Yeah those are CHOICE!
        -Harry

Comment

That is enough to make a man's mouth water!

Comment

Comment

A big part of journeyman meat cutter training is learning cooking methods for most kinds of meat. We were taught that a chop should be 3/4 inch minimum to grill properly. That really does make them grill up tender. For me its hard to tell when they are done. Over cooked chops are the biggest problem I have had with grilling them. I cut boneless chops,. since boneless loins are so cheap. It's been recommended to me to soak chops in a brine solution and that helps a lot to keep to keep them from drying out and being over cooked. It is still hit and miss with me.

I've found the best solution to be cutting boneless pork into cubes, not much bigger then 1/2 inch. Season them with steak seasoning or seasoned salt and bag the pieces laying flat in a ziplock for a day or two. I then spray oil on a skewer and grill them about 5-7 minutes on each side. Lowest heat setting my grill has. I've had more success getting tender, moist pork this way. It was always just hit and miss if my chops would not get too well done and dried out. Doing cubes instead of a full chop has made it easier for me to get better results. I also do chicken and steak the same way now.

When you grill those thick chops how do you determine when they are done?
              Matt B
              So. In
              Crashers

Comment

This was my 1st time with anything so thick so I just treated it like a steak. Seared both sides, then med heat until 160 degrees. They were marinated in olive oil/lemon juice along with misc seasonings for 5 hours. They weren't dry at all.
                Dave
                Saginaw Valley Raceway

Comment

• mattb
                  mattb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'll give that a try next time.

What was the seasoning you used?

Comment

Seasonings were grated lemon rind, rosemary, pepper and garlic.
                  Dave
                  Saginaw Valley Raceway

Comment

For 1” bone in pork chops.
                    Brine overnight in Base Brine:

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup kosher salt

1 teaspoon black peppercorns

3 cloves garlic, smashed

1 sprig fresh thyme

1 sprig fresh rosemary

1 bay leaf

before grilling remove from brine and pat dry and let them sit for at least 40 min on counter loosely covered, grill on medium heat 3-4 minutes a side, remove at 155 degrees and let rest for 5-7 min tented with foil

I got the brine recipe from G. Zarkarian and have made them Numerous times. They are delicious and juicy.

Harry

Comment

Guess I better buy a pork loin tomorrow.
                      Matt B
                      So. In
                      Crashers

Comment

I would go to Sam's club and get a whole loin and have them cut the lion into chops right there , they will cut the any size you want , thick or thin .

Comment

• mattb
                          mattb commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I spent 33 years with a knife in my hand cutting boneless meat or on the band saw cutting bone in meat! There were days I cut over 2500 pounds of beef and days I cut over 25 boxes of bone in pork loins, not boneless. Bone in loins came 5 pieces to the box and a box weight 70-80 pounds. I wish I knew how many pounds of product I processed all those years. I did enjoy my work and think there is an art to cutting good looking meat. Most guys would just chop it up and put in a tray, they don't see the difference in each piece. To be honest, most of them couldn't even sharpen a knife properly. Today there aren't many journeyman butchers in stores. Most product is processed in a the big plants and guys in the stores just put it on display. I guess not much different than most trades today.

I use to make my own pulled pork and home made sauce also . I miss cooking . Don't get me wrong guys , but since my stroke made half of my numb it is a little hard to want to try cooking again

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        UA-149438709-1