Facial itch while racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facial itch while racing

Okay, I understand this is going to sound silly but I'm curious if others notice this and how they deal with it.

I was recording 15 lap time trial sessions earlier today for 8 of my Trans Am cars. The process was simple, clean the tires & adjust the braids then do 15 laps while recording the time for each lap. These sessions took about 3 minutes. A few laps into a session I'd get an itch on my right eye or eyebrow that hadn't been there before. I manipulate the controller with my right hand and steady the top of the controller with my left hand. From experience I know using my left hand to scratch the itch will result in noticeably slower lap times while I'm doing it. So, I try to ignore it and it gets worse and worse. I can still turn in good lap times, but it becomes quite uncomfortable.

Does anyone else often develop these types of distractions while racing? If so, how do you deal with them?

All the "tears" from loosing keep my eyes well moisturized...so no worries here.
    Mark

Comment

I find that if I fart it takes my mind off of everything else. It also screws up the competition.

I can't wait for the race at Clover Leaf this coming weekend.
      Butch Dunaway
      Oxford, Ohio

Comment

• waaytoomuchintothis
        waaytoomuchintothis commented
        Editing a comment
        Thus Spake Oldafarta. Its nature's way of compensating for being so old that following the car at speed is impossible with these eyes. Goes along with only getting 10 laps in between runs to the bathroom.

• Fathead59
        Fathead59 commented
        Editing a comment
        as long as your fart doesn't become a " shart " , as in a shit with a fart . That could be a mess

A good guttural belch has similar effects without toxic fallout!

Comment

Distractions while you are actually racing are even a bigger problem than when you are doing time trials by yourself. Fellow drivers or onlookers might try to distract you by asking questions in the middle of a race. I have good peripheral vision so people walking around can be a distraction, I also find it distracting if I am standing between two people that swivel their heads 360 degrees like Linda Blair in The Exorcist. Getting cold nosed by the track owner's dog has happened a few times.
        COVID-19 has brought a new problem, I wear glasses and when I am wearing a mask my glasses can fog up, it is even worse If I have to wear a face shield as well as a mask. I bought some anti-fog spray that did not work, but spray from another supplier does work.
        Last edited by RichD; March 22, 2021, 09:12 AM.

Comment

I remember many years ago when racing 1/12th r/c pan cars (8 minute races) one of the older guys wasn't feeling well and not long after his race started he threw up but managed to hold it in his mouth for over 5 minutes whilst he finished his race...that's dedication
          Kevan - Isle of Man
          Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

Try putting a little aloe or another anti itch cream on the spot b4 you race. If the itch moves to another location, the it's just pyschosamatic and your a screwed dude. LOL. Hope this helps.
            Scott C.
            Amherst, WI
            Just "a simple kind of man".

Comment

My issue is I don't notice the facial itch till I'm racing and both hands are busy. Maybe it is age related since I don't remember having this problem when I used to race at a commercial track and with a club. Maybe I didn't use both hands for the controller then, can't remember.

Comment

I had been laid up with a distal femur fracture. I had been stuck at home for the last 6 mouths recovering. so the 1st time I was able to get out and race I did, so my wife dropped me of at the track so I could get some racing in. now I'm still using a walker at these time to get around. so I'm pumped up on pain bills and it is my turn. 1st heat goes off no issues. 2nd heat about 1min into the 3, I get the worst leg spasms to were my leg is hitting the track table and it sounds like a drum beat.. well I some how managed to finish that heat and the next one and the rest of the night no more issues. but boy did the spasm hurt when it hit.
                THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
                Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

Originally posted by Zippideedooda View Post
                  ... it's just pyschosamatic....
                  The mind is connected to the body in more ways than folks think.
                  Mark

Comment

This age thing does present some challenges to racing for sure. I have been diagnosed with Holms Adie Syndrome. Which by itself is no big deal. However the main symptom is a set of permanently dilated pupils. If the room is well lit or I am participating in an enduro event, my eyes may start watering. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does I lose sync. with the car and end up playing catch up with the car for the rest of the heat.(silently of coarse )

Randy
                    Randy C
                    Grindrod B.C.
                    Canada

Comment

• Fathead59
                      Fathead59 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hey Dodge , just a thought here . Have you thought about using sun glasses ? They don't have to be to dark
                  Working...
                  X
                  UA-149438709-1