Tinnitus cure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinnitus cure?

Anyone find a remedy for tinnitus besides reading HRW forums and videos at 3:00 in the morning?
    Scott C.
    Amherst, WI
    Just "a simple kind of man".

Nope, THAT is the cure!
    Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA
    Facebook-
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100018917899105
    YouTube-
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCB2327w8u_O8RjKeY4kFonQ

Comment

There isn't a cure.

I ended up seeing an Audiologist as I had 3 distinct lots of noise going on at once, one on each side and one at the back of my head. At the time I didn't have hearing aids but the Audiologist said I had up to 50% loss in one ear and 30% in the other. He said the hearing aids would reduce the tinnitus and he was right. I wore an aid in the ear most needing help for a year or so but haven't used one for a couple of years now...maybe I need to revisit the Audiologist.

...the tinnitus comes & goes.
      Kevan - Isle of Man
      Life is like a box of Slot cars...๐Ÿš“๐Ÿš—๐Ÿšš๐Ÿšœ

Comment

Noise.
        I use the radio.

Comment

Yes most of the time I use a radio, but usually not after waking up at 2 or 3 am. The wife would not be thrilled with that.
          Scott C.
          Amherst, WI
          Just "a simple kind of man".

Comment

The only thing I've ever heard that comes close is to be fitted with a hearing aid that supplies a noise cancellation?? Other than that.......I know nothing! "Shultz"

Comment

I've had it for 20 years or more and hearing aids for 12-15. Nothing ever gets you back to hearing like normal, but aids do help. I have a buzzing noise like grasshoppers in a field or neon lights buzzing. It's been there so long now that I would miss it if it was gone.
              Matt B
              So. In
              Crashers

Comment

I thought I had tinnitus, but it turned out it was just my wife nagging at me all the time.
                Butch Dunaway
                Oxford, Ohio

Comment

Carful the judge wonโ€™t let you say nagar in court
                  Dave
                  Peterborough Ont
                  CANADA

Comment

I hear the โ€œworldwide humโ€ instead of classic tinnitus. Google it - very weird.
                    Mike V.
                    Western North Carolina

Comment

I can't imagine what it used to sound like before my ears started ringing it's been going on so long. I think I'd miss it if it wasn't keeping me company, although at times it is worse than normal and that concerns me a bit. Fortunately I can still hear a lot better than my wife and she's 6 years younger than me and doesn't have any ringing. Perhaps it can be a blessing.
                      Bram,
                      CHCH NZ

Comment

I have had it for about 30 years now. I used to go to live bands a lot and loved standing near the speakers. I remember going to see Johnny Winter and getting out of the concert and my ears hurt. It gets worse when I'm tired and loud as hell when I want to wear ear plugs for sleep ๐Ÿ˜œ
                        Like others have said I wouldn't know what it's like to not have it anymore.

Comment

I remember when I first noticed it - thought my computer was making a whining noise but after turning everything off found out it was in my ears. I have mild hearing loss too and neurological interpretation is the brain 'fills' in the missing part of the signal. Kind of like how we might imagine seeing something in dim light or how some people feel pain seemingly coming from an amputated body part that's no longer there (phantom limb syndrome).

Sometimes my tinnitus stops altogether and the world goes eerily quiet, then starts back up again. Mine also varies in pitch and loudness depending on how I turn my head, or if I clench my jaw. That would be due to changes in pressure on the auditory nerve. I told them about this when my doctor sent mew to have a eyes-ears-nose-throat evaluation and they told me "no, that doesn't happen". Interesting to find out they know more about my sensations than I do.

Comment

I've had it since 1968. I was assigned to a 155mm howitzer battery. We would fire 24 hrs a day. up to 1200 rounds per day.
                            The VA said there is no reason for me to have buzzing 24 hrs a day as I was a mechanic. Ya Think.

Comment

I've had it since I was a kid. I learnt to ignore it... I would listen to it, accept it, then try to listen to whatever other sounds were happening and forget about the tinnitus. I worked in professional audio for a long time, people would come to me when they weren't sure about a particular bit of gear and couldn't quite hear a small fault or wanted an opinion on a microphone or speaker characteristic because I could hear very subtle differences in bits of gear regardless of the tinnitus. I've worked in very quiet environments, well built studios, an anechoic chamber where you can hear all sorts of sounds in your body such as blood rushing around your body, I just tune out of the tinnitus and listen to what I am working on. I've worked also in mechanical workshops, had damage due to a starting pistol, serviced arena sized PA systems but the thing that scares me most about my hearing more recently is my young kids who scream at point blank into my ears sometimes. I should get a hearing test I guess.

Comment

• slothead
                                slothead commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I wonder if smacking a kid that does that could be considered self-defense? Of course, I think kids today who listen to music through ear buds that's so loud you can hear it clearly walking past them will be mostly deaf by middle age. Karma I guess.
                            Working...
                            X
                            UA-149438709-1