Any HAMS out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any HAMS out there?

No....I’m not talking about Harry’s smoker conquests....😃 My son has no interest in slotting, so in an attempt to pry him away from the evil computer, I came across a Drake TR7 Transciever. It appears to work, but I know nothing about these things. Just lookin to see if anyone has some advice/guidance

I am. Is your son licensed? You can check a sight called eham for reviews of this radio. You might want to search for a club in your area just to see if he has any interest. If you have more questions feel free to ask.

Comment

Thank you sir. The rig appears to be in good shape, however upon powering it up, the LED display lit up for a few seconds and then went dark. There’s no apparent source for service anywhere close. We are looking into clubs in the area, but things slim pickings with the COVID. He wants to get his novice license....for now he’s just trying to listen in.... Thanks for reaching out

Comment

MnfordGuy I agree with dslot, with local clubs you should find an elmer that will be more than willing to help. Most clubs have VE's for license tests as well. Welcome to the hobby. -Ed KE0HGI

Comment

Good advice guys. I dabbled in crystal radios and a little in HAM a looonng time ago, but the siren call slots was too strong. I hope this will get me and the boy a little closer.... here’s what I picked up for 50 bucks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	406BA5D4-1EEB-454C-9D6E-E09DF9276C3A.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	66699 Also note, it’s sitting on my former straight away🙄

Comment

Steal of a deal....good luck! -Ed

Comment

EEEEEK!!!

Not on the straightway! That's how my track got buried. I built four custom electric guitars on my straightaway, let things pile up, and now when I point to the track, people say, "What track?"

I also want to mention the undying gratitude from all of us Louisiana/Mississippi Gulf Coasters in the 1950s and 1960s, for the worldwide network of heroes whom we depended on so many times when the Hurricanes clobbered us. HAMs rule.
              Last edited by waaytoomuchintothis; December 1, 2020, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks Rusty...at least I still have a little space for my HO track. Now, I’m just building 1/32 and 1/25 cars for proxies and such. Hopefully I can get the radio up and running in a “shack” so I can get my 4 lane oval up and running!

Comment

• waaytoomuchintothis
                  waaytoomuchintothis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Rusty is "ourwayband". I'm waaytoomuchintothis. But the praise for HAM operators is sincere.

• ourwayband
                  ourwayband commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey I consider that high praise to be confused with waytoomuchinto this!!!!

Sorry....got my “ways” mixed up😬

Comment

Working...
                X
                UA-149438709-1