Bone-In Pork Shoulder Slow Roll - Final Stages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bone-In Pork Shoulder Slow Roll - Final Stages

Had a nice phone call with REL13 today, and he asked me to make sure to share a little of the BBQ I am having today.

Now Rob, don't get jealous. I know, I know...you were convinced of your technique....
    -Harry

AAAAAUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Blasphemy! Horror! *kin I haf som?

Actually, that IS my technique. I just use a lower heat and go 2hrs per pound for the whole shoulder (usually 10-12 hours for 17-22 pound green shoulders). The blade end (what you have there), is where most of the meat is, so its great for home smoker units, and you get a ton of meat. Frankly, I do whole shoulders just because turning the joint loose is the best way to know when its done, and in BBQ contests, falling apart "perfectly done" is everything. And after injecting the meat with basting sauce to start with, using the sweet sauce (serving sauce) for the last hour or so is the technique the champions use. I should know, they consistently beat me in the contests for eight years before I got 3rd in Memphis. I watched them so much they started looking at me funny.

Comment

Harry, To late, I am jealous, I can smell it from here. That looks awesome. Wish I was there. Nice talking to you today. Thanks for posting that video.
      Robert- Connecticut, USA. Shoreline Raceways Club.

Comment

Looks very tasty. You definitely use a great sauce. I like Sweet Baby Ray’s honey chipotle. I could drink out of the bottle.
        Ken
        Evansville, IN

Comment

well there so much smoke in the air here I dont even have to use a smoker to smoke

Comment

well there so much smoke in the air here I dont even have to use a smoker to smoke
            Oh heard about that from a phone call yesterday. Hope you are safe sir.
            -Harry

Comment

Yes, I hope more of our westerners on HRW will keep us up to date. I talked to my friend just south of San Francisco a couple of days ago, and it was pretty bleak for her. Dark orange sky, ash everywhere, breathing is tough (she's almost 70), and her business has her outdoors a lot. She's barely making it.

Comment

been off work since Wed do to the unhealthy air. may be able to go back on Monday. it was so bad today that you could not see the house across the street.... have a weather system coming in that should clear all these out and put some rain down on the fires here..

Comment

Well I hope so....let it be a toad choaker!
                  -Harry

Comment

Hey guys , hate to say this , but make your own sauces . A fresh sauce is much better than any jar sauce . Before my stroke I used to do a lot of barbecue myself . Bought an electric smoker from Cabela's that I used for ribs , brisket , and pulled pork . Even made fresh jerky with it . And Harry , I am not saying what you did isn't right , it is your way of doing it

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    UA-149438709-1