An idea to make F1 more entertaining.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An idea to make F1 more entertaining.

It seems like 9 out of 10 times an F1 race is over by the end of the first turn. Today's race showed how exciting it could be if things were mixed up once in a while. My idea;

Here's what I think they should try one season. Take, let's say, the top 6 qualifiers, then, make them randomly pick a number from a hat. It would determine whether they start 1st or 6th. It would still put a premium on qualifying, but it would mix things up a bit. Seriously, if you have the fastest car & are the best driver, and you can't make it from 6th to 1st in 2 hours, something is wrong with the tracks or cars.

Thoughts?

Most anything would help about all our forms of racing today. The old Saturday nite, invert the field is a good way to make racing interesting. I actually am OK with throwing out the "this is how it's always done" idea.

I don't really care much about Nascar, the "stage" racing has added some racing. I have felt that the only way to really get a good following again, if that is possible, is to give equal points to the top 3 places every 10-15 laps. Another way to really get good racing is to only pay a couple hundred thousand a year guaranteed. Make guys want to win to make money. Probably the top 20-25 drivers in Nascar are guaranteed a minimum of several million a year, no matter how thy finish. Used to be guys raced for income.

I watched a few minutes of IRL at St Louis last week. I thought how good it would be to see front engine roadsters racing around that track with 400 hp engines and bia ply tires.

I guess this says more about me then the racing!!
    Matt B
    So. In
    Crashers

Comment

I love F1 the way it is, the way it always was and hopefully always will be.

I don't really have time for those wishing to start faffing about with the format to placate those who don't love F1, if you don't like it there's plenty of alternative 'fair' motorsports out there.

Comment

i've been contemplating a 2nd reverse-grid race in F1 for a long time, the way F2 does it, or better yet the reverse lengths. not sure.

Comment

I think the problem with complete reverse-grids is they can be gamed by sandbagging.

Comment

IMO any sport is, in the end, entertainment. That being said, what other sport can you think of where the winner of the event is decided in the first 15 seconds of the event 90% of the time? And actually, it's even worse than that, because in F1, the winner is usually decided just by qualifying. It's boring and predictable. I'm not the only one that feels this way. Even people within the sport agree that it is often stale.

Comment

Originally posted by downtowndeco View Post
              IMO any sport is, in the end, entertainment. That being said, what other sport can you think of where the winner of the event is decided in the first 15 seconds of the event 90% of the time? ...
              100m sprint?

Comment

LOL, you'd have a point if the event didn't go on for another 2 hours after the first 15 seconds. Imagine any of the ball sports, where every game was essentially decided in the first 15 seconds, and the entire rest of the game was simply an exercise in playing keep away.

i know that a lot of F1 fans do not like to tinker with the sport, and I'm sure they won't miss me if I don't tune in, but the races often seem like an exercise of trying to squeeze the tiniest bit of excitement out of what, in all honesty, can often be mind numbingly predictable.

Just trying to throw some ideas out there.

Cheers.

Comment

I was at both Indy Car races at Gateway last week.
                  It would have been more interesting watching trains at the local hump yard than those two races. One wild pass by Sato and that was about it. All relevant passes for position took place in the pits.
                  Pundits placed all blame for boring racing on the track.

Comment

The reason F1 is 'predictable and boring' (not my words) is the FIAs meddling to make it fairer. If you want a return of the good old days (get those rose tints on) let the teams develop their cars for the ultimate lap time. It's all a bit false and plastic with teams having innovations banned because they're too good, F1 has had this for decades by the way.
                    ​​​​

Comment

There words...figure 8 track.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevan View Post
                        The reason F1 is 'predictable and boring' (not my words) is the FIAs meddling to make it fairer. If you want a return of the good old days (get those rose tints on) let the teams develop their cars for the ultimate lap time. It's all a bit false and plastic with teams having innovations banned because they're too good, F1 has had this for decades by the way.
                        ​​​​
                        Well, fairer in the sense that it wasn't simply money that would produce wins. We see this even in the stick and ball sports, where they put in salary caps to prevent teams in larger markets fro always buying up the best talent. In motorsports, it's even worse, because you have the mechanical element. If one team has almost unlimited money to spend on gaining a tenth here or there, it really has the effect of making it almost impossible for smaller teams to compete.

We're never really going to be able to completely remove the financial disparity. That's why I like the random grid reversal of say, the top 6 or 8 cars. Again, there is still an incentive to qualify as fast as you can, but each race is mixed up a bit because of the random draw for those top positions. Could Lewis Hamilton go from 7th to 1st in 2 hours? maybe. Maybe not. He moved up well yesterday, but those were all much slower cars he passed too.

And think about it. If Hamilton couldn't move up from 7th to 1st in two hours, is he really that great? Is Mercedes really that superior?
                        Last edited by downtowndeco; September 7, 2020, 11:02 AM.

Comment

• waaytoomuchintothis
                          waaytoomuchintothis commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You mean from last in the field because of a bizarre coincidence of having the safety car come out at the same instant that they closed pit lane with Hamilton already committed in pit lane? And he made it all the way to 7th? He would have taken 1st if there were a few more laps.

Originally posted by downtowndeco View Post

Well, fairer in the sense that it wasn't simply money that would produce wins. We see this even in the stick and ball sports, where they put in salary caps to prevent teams in larger markets fro always buying up the best talent. In motorsports, it's even worse, because you have the mechanical element. If one team has almost unlimited money to spend on gaining a tenth here or there, it really has the effect of making it almost impossible for smaller teams to compete.

We're never really going to be able to completely remove the financial disparity. That's why I like the random grid reversal of say, the top 6 or 8 cars. Again, there is still an incentive to qualify as fast as you can, but each race is mixed up a bit because of the random draw for those top positions. Could Lewis Hamilton go from 7th to 1st in 2 hours? maybe. Maybe not. He moved up well yesterday, but those were all much slower cars he passed too.

And think about it. If Hamilton couldn't move up from 7th to 1st in two hours, is he really that great? Is Mercedes really that superior?
                        Yes. Lewis Hamilton is that great.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post

Yes. Lewis Hamilton is that great.
                          I guess we'd find out, wouldn't we? He's had 94 poles and that translated into 89 wins, most of which were decided by the end of the first turn. I'm not doubting that he would still win lots of races, more than the others. But would he be winning 9 out of 10 races like when he started on the front row? I don't think so. I think we'd see a some others win races too.

Not talking specifically about Hamilton here, but in general terms. Is someone who wins so many races really that many times better? Or is it not only are they a great talent, but the key is that their car is just 5% better than the rest, which allows them to qualify up front, which with the present state of aerodynamics and tracks, makes it incredibly difficult to pass, which makes it simply a matter of maintaining pace? Again. 94 poles=89 wins.

“For the interests of the sport, on one side again, I admire the competitiveness, the reliability, the durability, the effor[t]. But for the sport, I think like all the people who like things a bit more unpredictable..
                          FIA President Jean Todt, August 2020.

"I was a teenage kid," said Hamilton of the Schumacher years of dominance. "I would have woken up, had my bacon sarnie (sandwich) and probably watched the start and gone to sleep and then woke up to watch the end. If I was watching today I would do the same most likely and watch the highlights because it’s much shorter, unless a friend told me there was a super-exciting race on TV so that you watch the whole thing."
                          Lewis Hamilton August 31, 2020.
                          Last edited by downtowndeco; September 7, 2020, 12:02 PM.

Comment

I am aware of what LH said about the racing. I agree with him. I was just responding to your question - “is he really that great?”
                            IMO, yes, he is great. Certainly one of the greatest. Ever.

Bottom line is this. There are great drivers, very good drivers, average drivers, and just good enough drivers.
                            Same can be said for teams.
                            Those great teams want great drivers. Great drivers should be on great teams. Great teams and drivers win, a lot......That’s the way it should be.

And, I am confident that if every car in the field was exactly the same and every driver was in the exact same car ........ the cream would rise to the top. Greatness is greatness. And, only a select few are great. LH is one of the greats.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            UA-149438709-1