Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goodbye, ol' friend- hello, slick new friend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye, ol' friend- hello, slick new friend!

My worktable power supply, so old that it was called a "transformer" when I bought it (1965?), has finally bit the dust. It served me well all these years. The new guy in town is smaller, easier to read with my old eyeballs, and can be left where I last used it so I don't have to dial up every time. We'll see if this one lasts as long as my old one-- wait! that was 57 years ago! I'd be 128 years old before I know! AAAUUUUGGGHHHH!!!!!

That set up block is a revamp of one made by Classic back in the 60s. I replaced the plastic platform with scrap Corian.
    Last edited by waaytoomuchintothis; July 8, 2022, 06:21 PM.

I’ll bet the old one can be fixed Rob !
    Dave
    Peterborough Ont
    CANADA

Comment

• waaytoomuchintothis
      waaytoomuchintothis commented
      Editing a comment
      You are going to love this... The only thing wrong with it is the amp meter circuit. When I looked into it, I found that there are no parts available to fix it. One guy actually laughed at the idea of fixing something over half a century old. The company that made the parts vanished off the map in the 1970s. Putting it back together after that, I decided to spend $59 on the new one. Just touching some of the wiring broke parts.

I'm looking forward to your post on the new power supply's 50th anniversary so we can begin the countdown to its grand 57th when it surpasses old sparky.

Comment

That’s a wright way. I’d fix it out of spite after that conversation 😎
      Dave
      Peterborough Ont
      CANADA

Comment

• waaytoomuchintothis
        waaytoomuchintothis commented
        Editing a comment
        You spotted it correctly. Wright Way Products, London, Kentucky. I was there back around 1970 or so, and from what I saw, it was the kind of little town where you could ask anyone at the barber shop, "where is this Wright Way"? And everybody there would know.

It's kind of sad that we can't recycle and fix all this old stuff because of the economics. Just about everything is disposable now. You might ebay that old one and somebody that has issues with a similar PS might be able to fix it with parts from yours.

The new one will work great and stuff like this is cheaper every day.

Matt B
      So. In
      Crashers

Comment

What often goes in power supplies is the filter capacitor(s). If you open the power supply up a bad capacitor might be discolored or it might look OK. If the capacitor is defective, but looks OK the fuse might blow or a protective circuit (an old power supply is less likely to have that) might be tripped. Older power supplies have selenium rectifiers, more modern ones use diodes, there would be four of those, a bad rectifier is a possibility. The power switch or the voltage control pot could be bad, you could try jumping those.
        A lot of newer power supplies are the switch mode type, I would not attempt to repair one of those.

Comment

Working...
        X
        UA-149438709-1