Off Topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Topic

I got 3 new projects Easter morning. On my usual morning walk I found a dog playing with these toys in his yard. I took them home.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220417_154256468.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.85 MB ID:	160996
    About 5-6 weeks old. Over Over night I became and expert on raising baby squirrels and how to spell squirrel. Two were bigger and one was the runt, which they say would have died because the big guys would always beat him to food and they liked to beat him up. I borrowed 2 bird cages, one for the little guy and one for the bigger guys. They get fed a formula 4-5 times a day with a 1cc syringe. You have to feed slow so they don't get formula in their lungs and end up with pneumonia. They are now at about 8-9 weeks and we've cut feeding down to 3 times a day and the bigger ones are eating most natural stuff we put in and the small guy is just starting to. They have nesting boxes in top of their cages and the largest and smallest appear to be females and they drag stuff in the boxes and do not like you to reach in the box to get them, that is their nest. The bigger one charges you when you reach in to get him, it's best to take him out for feeding when he is not in the box. The middle guy is a boy and is always ready to come out if you put your hand in the cage, same with the runt "female" who also tries to nest in her box. It's fun to watch them running in their boxes, fighting chasing and jumping. The big one talks to you if you mess with him. They all have different personalities. In 3 weeks they have grown 40% or so. I think at 16 weeks they will be nearly full grown.

The runt.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20220429_161727099.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.33 MB ID:	160997

Sources say they can be released at 16 weeks or so. I have a larger cage I intend to put on the back porch in a week or two and move them outside to get used to outdoors and weather. At 14 weeks we should move the cage back to the shelter house at the edge of the woods. After a week you leave the door open during the daytime but continue to give food and water in the cage. They are supposed to roam a bit everyday but come back to their box at night. Maybe in a few days they no longer will stay int he box at night and transition to the wild.

I hand feed a few squirrels there and have deer and bird feeders, so I figure they will fit right in. Kind of a pain to do the feedings, but I couldn't let them stay in the yard with the dog playing with them till they were dead.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	squirrel cage.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.11 MB ID:	160998
    Last edited by mattb; May 11, 2022, 03:33 PM.
    Matt B
    So. In
    Crashers

I have acres of woods. Usually, I have both red & gray squirrels around. Last year, I only saw the bigger gray ones. This spring I haven't seen red ones either.

Comment

Good deeds are feel good factors, we aren't the only thing that deserves to live.
      Kevan - Isle of Man
      Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

RE: Red and Gray squirrels—

A work colleague of mine used to subscribe to a DVD series of short documentaries. One of them was about a British "environmental organization" that had been working to increase the population of red squirrels in Great Britain, as they had been forced out of their natural habitats by the introduction of grey squirrels. The solution proposed by the red squirrel "environmentalists"?

Kill the grey squirrels.

Good on you for saving the babies.
        Stan S.
        Newberg, OR
        Autodromo Rossa Colline (Red Hills Raceway)
        Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

We have red, gray and black squirrels. In the city of Oxford, Ohio which is about two miles north of me they have a bunch of white squirrels.
          Butch Dunaway
          Oxford, Ohio

Comment

That's cool Matt. We always had greys, couple years ago a couple of black ones that were pretty cool. Now there are almost all variations red-browns and even some blondish ones..
            good job saving the trio.

w. mass hills..

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	79CB3F68-3496-4C02-A862-CCCC76B5E20D.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	782.3 KB
ID:	161059

White ones are the local claim to fame
              Mike V.
              Western North Carolina

Comment

hey there real cute till they find their way into your attic and start chewing on electrical and pcv pipe then they are just a rat with fuzzy tails....
                Last edited by docdoom; May 12, 2022, 10:41 AM.
                THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....

Comment

That's quite new hobby, Matt.
                  Come Race at The Trace!
                  Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
                  https://cults3d.com/en/users/chappyman662/creations

Comment

Doc, they're rats with good PR.
                    Stan S.
                    Newberg, OR
                    Autodromo Rossa Colline (Red Hills Raceway)

Comment

They are just rats that climb trees. All we have in our area are grays. One cross bred blonde squirrel showed up a few months ago, but we never se Fox squirrels, although they are around our area, just not our woods. I hope to move cages outside next week and in 2 weeks back to a shelter house at the back of yard near the woods., After a couple days just leave it open, but keep providing food. I want them back in the wild and not as pets.

Rat story, a few years back we noticed something white out front and it ran under our front steps. Turned out to be a white rat. I guess somebody turned it loose or it got loose. My wife would take scraps out and stop her feet and Whitey would come out and eat what she brought. He was here a year or more and one day he was laying dead at the opening of his hole.
                      Matt B
                      So. In
                      Crashers

Comment

Was it food poisoning that got to Whitey? Old age maybe?

Comment

• mattb
                          mattb commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Bill, I won't comment on my wife's cooking, but I don't think it was food poisoning!

Very cool Matt.
                        Team SCANC
                        Woodland Trace Raceway - SlotZuka - Bent Tree Raceway
                        OFI - Buena Vista Motorsports Park - Slotkins Glen
                        Leadfinger Raceway

Comment

That is just AWESOME Matt…great to see you fathering them and caring for them !!! I have grays and reds and black ones all around my property…I’m sitting here writing this with a red and black one running around out by my shed…actually digging around trying to find where they buried their nuts
                          TOM...HOME RACING GOO GOO!!!
                          Warren, Ohio

Comment

There was a show on PBS about squirrels. It played once locally, but our electric when off in the middle of the show! The pre-show info said they would explain how squirrels remembered where they buried food. I really wanted to see that. I watch and will catch it in a re-run sometime. I can tell you this, the big and small are females and teritorial and nesters. The big one is mean if you try to get her out of her box. I now wear gloves when getting her out, she is happy to take plenty of formula, she doesn't like getting snatched out of the box. The runt is a female and a nester, but is almost always happy to come out if you open the door.

The middle one is a boy and would be the one you would want for a pet, He always comes to see you when you get near the cage and if you open the door, he is right there to climb into your hand. If you let him out of your hand, he strolls around and climbs on the cages and when you want him back in the cage, you just pick him up and he is ready to go.

I hope they can fit in with our "wild" squirrels that I kept fed.

Surprised you guys in Ohio have more species than we have here in So Indiana. Reds and greys are all I have ever known to be around here.

One of the wild guys.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220427_183355176_BURST000_COVER.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	161268
                            Matt B
                            So. In
                            Crashers

Comment

Working...
                            X