I HATE replacing heater cores!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I HATE replacing heater cores!!!!

On the 1st beautiful day of the year guess what I get to do? I have been putting this off for 2 years now because I know what the job involves. The motor is ready to go back in after a 10 month wait at the rebuilders. So I figured it was now or never on the heater core. Luckily I didn't run into any issues and did manage to get the fender lined back up reasonably well.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220423_105529460_HDR.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	4.80 MB
ID:	159582
    Dave
    Saginaw Valley Raceway
    Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

I hear ya worst one I ever did was a 69 Eldorado
    I hate heater cores too
    Dave
    Peterborough Ont
    CANADA

Comment

Dave, those inner fenders always get in the way when removing the nuts that hold the cover. I read about a trick years ago that really works great. A 1 inch hole saw. I did this on my first 65 Chevelle. One hole in the inner fender allows you to put a 1/4 inch drive socket right on the nut and saves hours of labor. On my current Chevelle I also did that trick on the drivers side inner fender to allow easy access to the nut that holds the clutch cross shaft on the frame bracket. Neat old Poncho.

I hope yo had a jack stand under that car. At the very least put the wheel and tire under the frame.
      Matt B
      So. In
      Crashers

Comment

I've always been convinced that the heater core is the first part on the assembly line, and the car is built around it.

Comment

You replace the heater core on a '68 Tempest/GTO from inside the car? I have had one for almost 30 years and had them before that, bought and sold a few more since. Even doing the blower motor you just remove the inner fender or take tin snips and cut an inner fender door/hole on three sides and fold it down to get access to the motor then fold it back up and reseal it with body sealer when done. The one inch holes for wrench access previously mentioned and the inner fender cuts are GM dealer service bulletin techniques.
          Allan

Comment

About 15-20 years ago I replaced the heater core on my '89 Taurus SHO. I checked with the dealer first, and their book said it was 9 hours labor [that was for someone who knew what they were doing] . I was in no position to part with that much cash, especially when the part was only about $60. It took ME 3 days. I did it, but what a nightmare.
            A lot of that time was spent numbering and photographing the wiring harness and things as they came apart. Glad I did it though, as that 3 days was spread out over about 2 months as other life situations got in the way and I would have forgot the exact order in which things had to go back together. I would rather change a motor, than do that again.
            Randy

Comment

• docdoom
              docdoom commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey nothing on those car was easy. Helped a friend do a starter. What a nightmare we ended up cutting a hole in the inner fender so we could get to it and the bolts. He sold it right after that.

I have done quite a few in my life, the one I did in my Corvette had to of been the worst.
            Clover Leaf Racing 7746 Clyde Road Fenton MI 48430 U.S.A. 313-473-SLOT
            web site: https://cloverleafracing.com Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cloverleafracing
            YouTube Chanel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CLR132slots?feature=watch

Comment

I replaced a few heater cores back in the days when I was able to work on my own cars. They do not compare to replacing the air conditioning unit in an Audi R8.

Comment

What is this "facebook"? Thought this was a slot car forum?

Comment

• dw5555
                  dw5555 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's why they call this the lounge. Have a few toddies and you never know where the conversation may lead.
              Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1