Morning Coffee Disapointment!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning Coffee Disapointment!

Sitting down this morning with my favorite Kona Coffee from Hawaii, taking a look at my Scalextric McLaren F1 GTR. Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220226_115719586.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	3.57 MB
ID:	151815
    Just got it yesterday And am pleased at the appearance and beauty of this model! BUT . . . when I opened it and removed it from the display case there was a residue one all 4 areas where the tires met the surface! Touched it and of course smelled it! And it smelled like grease! So now I am curious as to why there is so much grease on the surface, so I get out my handy dandy Craftsman professional 1X4 screwdriver. Removed the body and OMG grease every where! Tires had a light coat of grease on them the body posts where the body meets the chassis, front axle posts coated, so naturally I twisted the front wheels and they had no resistance and spun on the axle! Light coat of grease on the entire inside of the chassis. I am worried about the coating of grease on the body posts as we all know that petroleum based oils grease plays havoc on plastics! Now comes the best part ... you guessed it the entire rear axle portion has more grease than the front, I am assuming it is for the gear mesh? Oily substance on the rear wheels and the only body post in the rear. Enough of my rant she may get a couple of laps and then put on display.
    My question is WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO QUALITY CONTROL?????? Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220226_115644515.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	4.28 MB
ID:	151814 See the rectangle spot between the bursts of light? Front wheel and all the others had the same thing!

Well, simply sounds like you got one that missed "QC day".

I wouldn't give up on it. Clean the chassis with some Dawn and warm water. Do the same with wheels and tires. There is a chance to save them. If not there are tires for the rear in silicone or Paul Gage.
    -Harry

Comment

• JCIS4ME
      JCIS4ME commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Harry ! I've been cleaning it now for a while, Thank goodness the motor and lights stayed clean! Washed it down and now very squeeky clean! HA HA

Sounds like you got a Monday or Friday car....

As Harry said, disassemble it and give it a good bath. Dawn works great for removing grease.
    Let it dry, put it back together and oil the bushings. Get some new rubber, and she'll be good to go
    Dickie Pearson
    Canterbury, NH

HOST - Home Operated Slot Tracks
    MSR - Main Street Racing

Comment

• JCIS4ME
      JCIS4ME commented
      Editing a comment
      The rubber has some good tampos on them, removed them and gonna use em for my scenery!

Dawn works great for a number of things. https://www.trendymatter.com/fast-ga...d0wzKR5BxvqOz0
    Butch Dunaway
    Oxford, Ohio

Comment

• JCIS4ME
      JCIS4ME commented
      Editing a comment
      Dawn "I use that stuff on everything!"

Over-use of grease appears to be typical of all the Scalextric cars I’ve gotten lately.
    They must adhere to the ‘if a little is good, then a lot must be better’ philosophy.

Comment

I usually do not buy scaley's But I am overly absorbed in McLarens, And Did not have a #24 So I bought it. I primarily have Nincos and one Revo McLaren, I proably won't run this one but who knows????
      Peace
      Marty

Comment

• dinglebery
        dinglebery commented
        Editing a comment
        If you don't already have an NSR, it deserves your attention.
    Working...
    X
    UA-149438709-1