Another closed Hobby Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another closed Hobby Shop

When I was building the chassis for the Firebird I needed some odds and ends and went to my local store, Roger's Hobby center in Saginaw and it was totally empty. Last time I was in there, there was no signs up or any indication they were closing. They were primarily an R/C store, models and building supplies. Too bad.
    Dave
    Saginaw Valley Raceway
    Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Again people not supporting a local store and it will disappear before you know it. Not many shops on line that actually have a brick and mortar store you can go to anymore.
    Mike
    Clover Leaf Racing 7746 Clyde Road Fenton MI 48430 U.S.A. 313-473-SLOT
    web site: https://cloverleafracing.com Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cloverleafracing
    YouTube Chanel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CLR132slots?feature=watch

Comment

• slothead
      slothead commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't have anything like a local hobby shop here in central Maine so online is my only option. But, when I used to travel for work or pleasure I always sought out hobby shops and patronized them. Some HRW members have said they always buy what's cheapest, which is usually online but that can be detrimental to the hobby. Yes, everyone has their own budgetary constraints but buying 'local' and from brick and mortar hobby shops whenever possible is important.

• DC_OR
      DC_OR commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd love to support the one here, but they don't focus on anything over HO from what I've seen and I've found that it isn't safe to park in the area. When it gets to landscape materials (small trees, etc) I'll probably stop in, but only if I'm dropped off. The city's approach to policing has encouraged more crime to the point where I no longer bother going there.

Originally posted by dw5555 View Post
    When I was building the chassis for the Firebird I needed some odds and ends and went to my local store, Roger's Hobby center in Saginaw and it was totally empty. Last time I was in there, there was no signs up or any indication they were closing. They were primarily an R/C store, models and building supplies. Too bad.
    Dave,
    Have you checked to make sure they didn't just move? Hoping that is the case.

Peter
    PetesLightKits

Comment

It's the opposite here where I am in CA. There is a shop, Electric Dreams, about 35 minutes drive away, as the crow flies - with traffic about an hour if its not that bad. My point is, their prices are ridiculous, add tax and then the drive and I'll just order what I want from someone else online.

Comment

• Silberpfeil
        Silberpfeil commented
        Editing a comment
        A purchase is a "vote".

If a Store isn't creating reasonable value for the prices it's asking, then folks will go elsewhere.

• DC_OR
        DC_OR commented
        Editing a comment
        I buy from Electric Dreams online more often than not as I've gotten a fair amount of unsolicited help from Dennis and thus (as Silberpfeil put it) I use my "vote" in appreciation. I'm sure many of the others are helpful as well, but that's where I have gotten mine.

• dinglebery
        dinglebery commented
        Editing a comment
        Dennis is a friendly chap of whom I know personally - no need for me to involve ED when I want to meet up with him. A wealth of knowledge he is indeed!

It's also inconvenient to drive 30 minutes to the LHS and find out they don't have what you want and they make a weak excuse. Then you drive back home and order it online and have it in 4 days. It's a shame, we all wish we could go downtown and walk in a hobby shop and have it be 1965. Unfortunately those days are gone and brick and mortars are fading fast and all the big kids like us in the world won't save them. I wish it was different.
      Matt B
      So. In
      Crashers

Comment

For those that order online due to cost, distance or inventory.... Do you consider wether I not that online retailer also has a brick and mortar? Could be that you could safe money, have that convenience while still supporting a brick and mortar to help keep them open.

Comment

• PetesLightKits
          PetesLightKits commented
          Editing a comment
          In today's economy, if you have a "bricks and mortar" hobby shop, and you want to continue to make a profit, then you better have an online "store", with ordering that is tied into current store stock with competitive sale prices, and reasonable shipping rates.

• Brumos RSR
          Brumos RSR commented
          Editing a comment
          This I agree with those who expanded their reach with an online store give themselves a fighting chance to stay above water. Also blowing out of old inventory versus allowing it to collect dust I’ve seen this help keep cash flow moving and stock shelves with what a hobbyist may want now.

I support my LHS as much as I can and place very few orders online
        I want my store there the next time I head over because it’s been threatened a couple of times that it won’t be
        Dave
        Peterborough Ont
        CANADA

Comment

"If a Store isn't creating reasonable value for the prices it's asking, then folks will go elsewhere."
          While that is certainly true in many instances, unfortunately there are some slot car racers who see little or no "reasonable value" in picking our brains on parts needed for a project (which can take considerable time on our part) and then turn around and purchase it somewhere else because it was 50 cents cheaper. When we ask repeat offenders why they don't ask these questions to the vendor who saved them 50 cents, the response is usually something like, "they don't answer the phone or emails like you do" or "they just sell parts, they don't know which parts I need." In other words, our knowledge and experience required to answer their questions isn't considered "reasonable value" (or any value at all for that matter) but savings 50 cents is.

Last edited by Slot Car Corner; December 12, 2021, 11:50 PM.

www.slotcarcorner.com
          email: [email protected] phone: 603.753.6263

Comment

• dinglebery
            dinglebery commented
            Editing a comment
            This quote is exactly why I buy from Steve also!

• mattb
            mattb commented
            Editing a comment
            In this day and age supporting your LHS means Slot Car Corner. You can't even come close to having so many supplies and slot items available at a LHS. . The next 10-20 years LHS means a supplier like SCC.

• Slot Car Corner
            Slot Car Corner commented
            Editing a comment
            Our experience is not unique. Ask any of the HRW sponsors and they will have similar experiences and stories. Fortunately it's a very small percentage of slot car racers that fall into this category.
            Last edited by Slot Car Corner; December 13, 2021, 11:26 AM.

We have 2 decent brick and mortar stores here. Unfortunately, if you’re looking for anything past cars or track…. forget it. Brass, adhesives, and paint maybe, but nothing in the way of tires, gears….. you name it. Without HRW and the sponsored shops, you’re kind of SOL.
          Brian Mc
          Minnecrapulous, Mn

”Machinist: One who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data from those of questionable knowledge.”

Comment

Very lucky here in Louisville KY. We have a LHS that is the Home Depot of hobby shops, they carry it all. It's called Scale Reproductions. He built it from the ground up with friendly service, reasonable prices and good people to help you. If you are ever around Louisville KY it is well worth paying them a visit

Comment

Originally posted by dw5555 View Post
              Hate to hear that. I was in there last spring when I was up in the area visiting family. (before I moved out of Michigan, I used to frequent there and a place in Bay City called Robby's Hobbies which is also closed.)

Comment

Luckily I do have 1 other LHS in Flint (1/2 hr away) that I can use for supplies. Again no slot related stuff more R/C. Other than Mike at Cloverleaf he is the closest (1 hr) away for car parts which is good.
                Dave
                Saginaw Valley Raceway
                Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

Instant gratification.

Click image for larger version  Name:	43183245_2077638045621553_5569677322748952576_n.jpg Views:	78 Size:	83.7 KB ID:	137085
                  Clover Leaf Racing
                  Last edited by Silberpfeil; December 13, 2021, 06:28 PM.
                  Mark

Comment

• DC_OR
                    DC_OR commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Now I'm jealous!

• dinglebery
                    dinglebery commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Clover Leaf... I think you meant to type...?

I wish I could find a reasonably close hobby shop that stocked slot car items I am interested in. But, there are just one or two that sell cheap sets. One hobby shop about an hour away sells some interesting odds and ends, including a some SCX, Revell and Slot.it cars I don't recall seeing anywhere else. The staff seems to have no knowledge of slot cars.

Comment

A key point as mentioned above is you can call a hobby dealer who's knowledgeable about slot cars, or whatever you're into, and ask questions. I called SCC regarding items not in their inventory and they were able to get them from their distributor. Back when SCC had a store front business I drove 2 hours to check them out and spent about $150 because I was like a kid in a candy store. Much like when visiting a donut shop or bakery everything looked delicious and was calling me by name.

I spend a lot (too much?) money on slot cars stuff as is, but if there was a hobby shop in the area to visit and see the cars and parts I'm interested in up close I'd probably buy even more. Since Pioneer Legends are my current car of choice it's unfortunate that none of the dealers (SCC or Clover Leaf) featured on HRW carry Pioneer cars so I can purchase them. By default, INASLOT and Electric Dreams are my most patronized dealers.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    UA-149438709-1