What is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this?

My brother brought this plastic model of a Porsche 917 over to my place today. He purchased it at a garage sale for $1. I

've never seen anything like it. I didn't have much time to look it over, so I just snapped a few quick photos with my phone.

It appears to be about 9" long. It has a battery compartment that looks like it takes 2 C cells. On the battery cover there is a logo of a block-headed, flat-footed robot with the word Taiyo beneath the logo on the underside of the chassis. It also shows that it is made in Japan. There is a simple on/off switch and a gimble with what appears to be a rubber-tired drive wheel. The front and rear wheels are not powered. And then there is a hook-like (guide?) that drops down and rearward with a sort of shield-like trailing section that partially covers the gimble when the arm is dropped.

Can anyone help me identify this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4785.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	123460

Name:	IMG_4784.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	735.8 KB
ID:	123461

Name:	IMG_4787.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	713.6 KB
ID:	123462

Name:	IMG_4786.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	669.5 KB
ID:	123463
    Team SCANC
    Woodland Trace Raceway - SlotZuka - Bent Tree Raceway
    OFI - Buena Vista Motorsports Park - Slotkins Glen
    Leadfinger Raceway

Steve
    Will known Japanese Toy company that made battery operated toys with current values today over $400. There are many samples going back pre 1970, links are available through Taiyo Toys in Google search. You have a pristine example from what I see
    Dalee

Comment

Thanks Dale. I see several on eBay. This one has no wire control. It looks to me like it just goes where it will. Maybe an earlier version than the ones with the control? My brother will probably sell it. I have no interest in it.

I do wonder what the point of the hooked drop arm is.
      Team SCANC
      Woodland Trace Raceway - SlotZuka - Bent Tree Raceway
      OFI - Buena Vista Motorsports Park - Slotkins Glen
      Leadfinger Raceway

Comment

It's called a Bump-and-Go toy. It moves more or less forward until it bumps into another object, changes direction and keeps going. Rinse and repeat. I'm not sure if the drop arm is part of the direction change or part of the "no fall" feature. If the front wheels drop over an edge (like a table top), the critter is supposed to come to a halt.
        "I can't drive a stolen car!"
        "It's the same principle; four gears forward, one reverse."

Comment

• Fast Co.
          Fast Co. commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh. Ok. So maybe the rear portion of that drop arm is some kind of brake. Interesting. Thanks!

Maybe the drop arm is like a kill switch

Comment

• Fast Co.
          Fast Co. commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, maybe.

Maybe put some batteries in it and see what that thing does?
        Allan

Comment

• Audi1
          Audi1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, what Allan said.

Allan

• Fast Co.
          Fast Co. commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, next time I catch up with my brother I'll try that. Didn't have time when I saw him yesterday.
      Working...
      X
      UA-149438709-1