Hurricane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane

Well, another storm is headed to our Gulf Coast. I should be ok in the Pass and Blake (Regalman) east of me should be fine. If I missed anyone, stay safe and keep in touch.
    Tony
    Pass Christian, MS

Sounds like a big one... Stay Safe

Comment

By now, everybody here knows my heart is in New Orleans, even though I lived longer near Pass Christian, actually on the edge of Long Beach, but everything has changed down there. I had relatives in New Orleans, and spent a great deal of time there. After Camille, everything from Long Beach to Moss Point completely changed. So, even though Katrina, Rita and Laura damaged the New Orleans area badly, There is still enough of New Orleans left for me to recognize the city and know that home is still there. Looking at the pictures online, I see the same buildings and signs, the same streets, and the people still doing the same things to prepare- filling sandbags (I was doing that when I was 10 years old, and the bags were canvas), boarding up windows (nowadays, they can use waferboard which is lots cheaper than the B/C plywood we used- all us kids made treehouses and forts of the used plywood after the storm), gathering loose items from outside (patio furniture can take out a house wall when the wind is over 100mph), etc. What I have seen so far tells me that everything about this depends on the tides. If it was high tide when the storm hit, the storm surge will be awful. If not high tide, especially if the tide was going out, this will be a high wind rainstorm in effect. If my old lungs would let me live in that humidity, I would be in the Garden District battened down with everybody else right now.

Comment

Stay safe all!

Comment

UPDATE-
          The storm is moving unusually slowly. This is bad news. Not only are 140mph winds slamming everything, they are in place longer to do it. It means the rain is staying and flooding in place longer, too. Normally, a storm, big or little, moves along about 17-25mph, doing its damage and moving on. This turd is squatting at 11mph or less. This is low country, some of it below sea level, so this might be a bad one, indeed.

Comment

This Hurricane needs a pair of silicone tires and get the hell out here. Slowest moving storm ever
            Tony
            Pass Christian, MS

Comment

Working in the electronics lab today on the north shore of eastern Long Island, where a lot of rain fell in a very short time overnight. Spent the better part of the day with a wet vac sucking up about 1/8" of water off the laminate floor in the laboratory! No damage, just a pain to clean up. Had to move a few metal storage cabinets to be sure everything was dry all around. I think the company Pres is looking into having the soil regraded on the one side of the house and sealing the foundation concrete at the same time. The high tech lab and offices are in the very large basement. Love working on my HO slots there when I'm afforded the chance!
              Hope everyone survived the storm. -- Ernie

Comment

Well, we survived Ida. No damage and power went out briefly but I have a whole home generator. My friends and family who live in NOLA don’t have power. Please keep them in your prayers please.
                Tony
                Pass Christian, MS

Comment

• arroldn
                  arroldn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Done.
              Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1