Smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoke

With 1230 wildfires in British Columbia the air quality index has been in the 300’s which is considered dangerous. Good time to stay indoors and host proxies?

Driving home from work yesterday
    Click image for larger version

Name:	299B1640-9B7E-42B8-99B4-1B27AF2F74ED.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	909.4 KB
ID:	111366

Name:	D590A7F4-6462-45F1-ABDA-AD96A87DEA5F.jpeg
Views:	208
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	111367 Sunset yesterday

Name:	B4B4911E-CD03-40C6-B573-CD88C94EE82B.jpeg
Views:	196
Size:	1,022.0 KB
ID:	111368
    Sunrise this morning

Name:	DF288810-177E-4D3E-9DA3-B0CA5E25AFCF.jpeg
Views:	204
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	111369

We are seeing the smoke from the wildfires out west, in SE Wisconsin. Scary!

Comment

I'm sure it'll head down here into eastern Washington soon. You have some beautiful country up there Cyracer! Went through Kelowna on a motorcycle trip through Canada, after we came through Banff & Jasper . Stayed the night in Kelowna and we've been talking about needing to get back up there at some point.

Comment

Yikes! Those western fires have been affecting air quality as far east as here in North Carolina.
        Team SCANC
        Woodland Trace Raceway - SlotZuka - Bent Tree Raceway
        OFI - Buena Vista Motorsports Park - Slotkins Glen
        Leadfinger Raceway

Comment

We got smoke here in So. Indiana. Bad thing is, I don't see a solution. It will continue to get worse every year. This year is already way ahead of last year.
          Matt B
          So. In
          Crashers

Comment

Simply terrible. Stay inside and stay cool.

Comment

We need those trees. This can't continue.
              Team SCANC
              Woodland Trace Raceway - SlotZuka - Bent Tree Raceway
              OFI - Buena Vista Motorsports Park - Slotkins Glen
              Leadfinger Raceway

Comment

• mattb
                mattb commented
                Editing a comment
                I just don't see what can be done. One time I thought maybe bulldozing and clear cutting spaces and isolating sections might work, but some these fires can jump 1/4 mile or so. If it was possible to do it, it might take a 1/4 mile wide clear cut to isolate a fire. No effective way to fight these fires. Seems like there is a little bit they can do to control them, but not a lot. Dry heat and drought in the southwest US is severe and that has been getting worse every year and that makes it a tender box. I just don't see a way out. Anybody heard of any effective way we can stop this?

Cut them all down before they burn... but it going be like these till get back to a normal weather pattern and have some good wet winters and good snow pack. Been like these for 10 years. It has happened before in the distance pass and we will come out of these drought like it did then.
              THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
              Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

Some interesting data: historical wildfires by year in BC for the past 12 years:

Name:	BC Wildfires per year.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	111446
                And data for the current year so far:

Name:	BC WIldfire current.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	111447

Some thoughts:

* Historically in terms of area burnt, 2017 and 2018 were horrific standout years: both more than 1 million hectares
                * The percentage of fires caused by humans is a disaster. That is something we DEFINITELY have to work on!
                * Fortunately, 2019 and 2020 were "good" years in terms of numbers of fires and area burnt.
                * This year we seem to be on track for something similar to the worst couple of years. 😥
                * One factor that I am not sure of is how fire suppression affects the intensity of wildfires. In nature, fires would burn themselves out. Are we increasing the fuel load by fighting fires? And because of this, is part of how bad this year will be due to the two more mild fire years in 2019/2020?

Very sad....

Comment

That’s horrible...please be safe Cgy and keep a watchful eye out!!!
                  TOM...HOME RACING GOO GOO!!!
                  Warren, Ohio

Comment

There have been some good documentaries on PBS about wildfires. Yes, fighting fires preserves fuel for the next round of fires. Huge issue is human intrusion into areas the previously had less human population. People like having a home in wooded areas. How do you tell someone letting their house and property burn is a good outcome? Cutting down the trees would alter the ecology and undermine land values. As a developer I'd want the land that will fetch the most money once homes are built on it. After the sale I'm not involved anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    UA-149438709-1