Indianapolis 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indianapolis 500

Helio Castroneves for the win! 4 timer, way to go!

Click image for larger version  Name:	8888F308-16B2-4607-9B8E-BB51E1C7C2FE.png Views:	15 Size:	167.5 KB ID:	101049 Click image for larger version

Name:	6605F6C5-2277-4F09-9072-45753FF971CB.jpeg
Views:	231
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	101060
    Last edited by War Eagle River; May 30, 2021, 03:09 PM.
    Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA
    Facebook-
    https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100018917899105
    YouTube-
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCB2327w8u_O8RjKeY4kFonQ

Excellent racing this will be a popular win
    Dave
    Peterborough Ont
    CANADA

Comment

You might want to put SPOILER ALERT in your subject just in case some people are watching the race later for whatever reason.
      PetesLightKits

Comment

Originally posted by War Eagle River View Post
        Helio Castroneves for the win! 4 timer, way to go!

Click image for larger version

Name:	8888F308-16B2-4607-9B8E-BB51E1C7C2FE.png
Views:	267
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	101049
        It’s awesome that he won it with my home state team MSR for their first Indy 500 win!!!! Outstanding!!!
        Mike - Galena Ohio

"When you're back there with the squirrels, you're bound to get your nuts cracked." - Graham Rahal

https://www.hrwforum.com/forum/hrw-a...gends-bullring

Comment

Someone asked me yesterday who I thought would win. I told him it's racing and no way to predict a winner but I was rooting for Helio. They said it was the fastest 500 in history. I did feel sorry for Graham Rahal though, it wasn't his fault.
          Butch Dunaway
          Oxford, Ohio

Comment

What was up with those "pit road" brake failures?

I must say, watching the Indy 500 on Memorial Day really felt like normal life at long, long last. I really enjoyed it.
            Last edited by waaytoomuchintothis; May 30, 2021, 06:43 PM.

Comment

He is a Great Sportsman, Craftsman and the People Choice all round Great Guy

Comment

First race I’ve ever seen where all the accidents occurred in the pits or as a result of a botched pit stop.
                Mike V.
                Western North Carolina

Comment

That was a great race with limited yellow flags. Graham had a tough day sure his Dad is firing someone on Tuesday if not today. Some were increasing air gaps on brakes as it was alleged to increase speed. However, seems only rookies or those who don’t t run the series had issues and stopping on pit road.
                  The Jester
                  of Da Lou (St. Louis) but from
                  the Soxside (Chicago)

Comment

• bov
                    bov commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don't think Will Power really qualifies as a rookie........ he had a pit road / brake issue too.... Sad for McLaughlin - he had Simon P covered before the pit speed penalty, and Simon P finished 3rd....

Agree with it all! A very popular win.
                  Matt B
                  So. In
                  Crashers

Comment

As much as I wanted to see Helio win his fourth Indy 500 I now hope he never wins again. Helio is now a member of a very exclusive club, if he wins again the exclusive club is no longer. Being a life long A.J. Foyt fan I'd hate to see being a four time Indy 500 winner not mean anything.
                    Butch Dunaway
                    Oxford, Ohio

Comment

• slothead
                      slothead commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think AJ's place in racing history, especially Indy 500 history is set in stone. Records are made to be broken, but no one will ever forget AJ.

Dario Franchitti was the latest of the drivers with 3 wins (2012), but he retired in 2013. That leaves Takumo Sato with 2 wins (2017 & 2020) as the most likely one to join the 3 time winners club at some point. Helio is 46 yrs old and Takumo is 44.

The oldest Indy 500 winners were Al & Bobby Unser, each at age 47.

Agree Butch. That's super talented bunch, AJ, Big Al and Rocket. Helio is great, but no better than those guys and I'd like to see 4 wins remain the gold standard.
                    Matt B
                    So. In
                    Crashers

Comment

Originally posted by waaytoomuchintothis View Post
                      What was up with those "pit road" brake failures?
                      If the brake pads are run "normally" - you get some friction with the pads bouncing off the rotor as it spins... They can also drag slightly in the corners under cornering force... As you turn left the left pad will float and rub the rotor slightly......
                      For the speedway they use a clip that retracts the brake pads all the way out. You don't use the brakes unless you are pitting - or a tire is bouncing down the track. So when you do use the brakes - you need to overcome the clip and whatever spacing in between the pad and the rotor. Usually, 4-5 pumps on the peddle will get them to work again. Then there is cold temprature etc
                      Looked like some people misjudged the pumping - or the gap between rotor and pad was just too large... and no heat......

They caused some safety issues - so it will interesting to see if they are allowed next year

That was the first 500 I've watched in 10 years...... Indycar was tough for me to watch after 2011... It was a good race
                      Last edited by CG Slotcars; May 31, 2021, 12:07 PM.

Comment

• BIG E
                        BIG E commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Review what Paul Tracy had to say about the subject... Ernie

Originally posted by mattb View Post
                      I'd like to see 4 wins remain the gold standard.
                      Yeah, if he won it again it would be like winning the Super Bowl four times as a quarterback. No big deal.

This is the year of the old geezers, Tom Brady, Phil Mickelson and Helio Castronevese.

Butch Dunaway
                      Oxford, Ohio

Comment

Worth the sunburn to be there and see it. Nobody was sitting the last five laps, and the cheers sounded like a capacity crowd. What a day!!
                        I know it isn't the best shot, I cropped it from the original which I felt is a bit too large for the site. Still you can see Spiderman on the left heading for the fencing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Helio.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	101263
                        "I can't drive a stolen car!"
                        "It's the same principle; four gears forward, one reverse."

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        UA-149438709-1