UV Curing in Bright Sunlight...Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UV Curing in Bright Sunlight...Question

Hi, everyone - I'm thinking of some projects where I could build up a few coats of resin on a flat surface for both appearance and some improved surface quality. This might be foam board, very thin MDF, ply, etc. The size could be up to 3 to 4-ft. square.

What I am wondering is - if I brushed or rolled a layer of liquid resin on a flat surface like that and exposed it to bright sunlight, would it cure effectively? I might expect it to take a little longer than straight UV light, but any reasonable amount of time would be helpful.

The urethane or epoxy resin I know about is chemically cured and heat helps it cure faster.
    Matt B
    So. In
    Crashers

Comment

To be more specific, I am asking about the types of resin that are used in 3D printing.

Comment

Yes, UV resin cures no problem at all in the sun, it's the best source of free UV in the Solar System
        Kevan - Isle of Man
        Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

...try it, 5 mins, 15 mins, half an hour. I left a 3D resin bodyshell I'd brushed UV resin on the windowsill for an hour or so, it cured great...I don't know whether it took a couple of minutes or when it was cured because I forgot about it but 5 mins will see results.
          Kevan - Isle of Man
          Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

Working...
          X
          UA-149438709-1