Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3d projects?

Projects? Yes I have a couple!

It's crack. I can't stop. Back in October, I posted most of these. I think I have built half a dozen cars and only two are in these pictures (the orange T165 and the 917-10 I just finished). I have at least two dozen 3DP bodies before I even think about model kits I have had for almost 20 years.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201008_171403.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	79171 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201008_170912.jpg
Views:	707
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	79172 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201006_133242.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	79173 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210119_204746.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	79174 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201008_170812.jpg
Views:	695
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	79175 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210202_193827.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	3.30 MB
ID:	79176 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201008_170856.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	3.18 MB
ID:	79177 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201107_154339.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	79178 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201008_170838.jpg
Views:	706
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	79179 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201008_170742.jpg
Views:	696
Size:	3.32 MB
ID:	79180
    The March 707 and Shadow DN4 were maybe the first couple that I printed and I haven't built them yet, over a year later.

This is why Racer1h is so prodigious......his are mostly built.
    Come Race at The Trace!
    Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
    https://www.thingiverse.com/chappyman66/designs

Comment

• red73mustang
      red73mustang commented
      Editing a comment
      Whats the car next to the NART Ferrari 712? Looks almost like a Chaparral 2H....................

• chappyman66
      chappyman66 commented
      Editing a comment
      It is indeed a Chaparral 2H, but it's a file for the early coupe design before Surtees made them open it up and make it a Spyder.

Yep I've got a box or two of body's I haven't got to, not to mention the ones that I was working on before I started to print !🤔

Comment

I officially trying my first build. I am picking up my 1/32 AMC Gremlin body from the printer this week. I plan to paint it trans am colors, I've seen several examples of 1:1 Gremlins that look like that. Haven't settled in on a chassis etc yet. but I'm excited for the build.

Comment

• slothead
        slothead commented
        Editing a comment
        This info may have been shared with you in the past, but don't forget the Gremlin was by far the body style of choice for dirt modified race cars in the 70's. The Grant King Gremlin modified cars were the class of the northeast winning many track championships and prestigious races. I will gladly post numerous photos upon your request.

• cjperry81
        cjperry81 commented
        Editing a comment
        I believe I mentioned the gremlin idea on here in the past. Id love to see the pics. I have seen a couple before but was unsure of how to go about getting the modified look into a slot car chassis. I do think there is a modified gremlin model kit still available but being my first build I thought it might be more than my skills would allow currently. After I clean up this body I have been researching how to make molds so I can make about 3-4 more bodies out of resin using this 3D print and then I plan to try some wild body mods just for fun.

A Gremlin build would be excellent! I have thought for a long time that an Ugly Car Proxy using Pinto/Gremlin/Pacer/Chevette bodies would be interesting just for the fun factor. It was proposed awhile ago and didn't go anywhere........
      But hopefully your build will get things moving.
      Frighteningly enough, the Gremlin shell is one of my most popular uploads on Thingiverse.....I will never understand.
      Come Race at The Trace!
      Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
      https://www.thingiverse.com/chappyman66/designs

Comment

Finally finished 4 Can Am car projects that have been in the works for a while.
        Costello #75, Stinger #22, Webster Special #6, Burnett Special #5.......3D printed bodies, chassis, guides...all slot it sidewinder pods.

Name:	9FFB29BE-F8E9-41DD-A7F7-127A719BB9D2.jpeg
Views:	629
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	79286

Comment

• Rastas
          Rastas commented
          Editing a comment
          Great looking cars Racer1h! And I'm not going to ask you to share the files 😬

• Racer1h
          Racer1h commented
          Editing a comment
          Let me know if you want to print any of these.

• Rastas
          Rastas commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks I will in the future , but I am going to get some of my projects finished first!

Gremlin bodied dirt cars and sheet metal look-a-like cars. The first 2 photos are of what I consider to be the most feared dirt modified of the late 70's. When this Grant King built car (#73) showed up at a race with either Gary Balough or Billy Osmun at the wheel everyone else was basically racing for 2nd place. The #31 is also a Grant King modified.

It was soon the case that most cars were using the Gremlin profile with some artistic license.

The Gremlin body had a lot of interior space in which a roll cage could easily be fitted with the driver seated in the center.

I hope to add a retro mod class to the cars on my new oval. Most will use bodies from the 30's & 40's which were what were still popular in the 60's and early 70's till they became hard to find in junk yards and Gremlin, Pinto, and Vega bodies became plentiful.

Comment

• Rastas
          Rastas commented
          Editing a comment
          Your pictures didn't come thru slothead !

• Kevan
          Kevan commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you upload the photos as attachments or just paste the url code in because no pics are showing but you can see the code in the quote

• slothead
          slothead commented
          Editing a comment
          Most of the photos were ones I had on my computer and uploaded, one or 2 may have been URLs I found. I could see all 6 photos when I did a preview and can still see them now in this post. I'll repost the 2 most relevant ones.

Originally posted by chappyman66 View Post
        A Gremlin build would be excellent! I have thought for a long time that an Ugly Car Proxy using Pinto/Gremlin/Pacer/Chevette bodies would be interesting just for the fun factor. It was proposed awhile ago and didn't go anywhere........
        But hopefully your build will get things moving.
        Frighteningly enough, the Gremlin shell is one of my most popular uploads on Thingiverse.....I will never understand.
        That would an awesome Proxy. I'm a long time AMC fan and I honestly just like to see unique stuff that arent the same as what everyone else has. This will be my first build so hopefully its smooth sailing. Assuming it all works out, longer term I have definitely been eye balling some Pacer bodies, and I'd love to see what can be done with the 3 wheel reliant coming out.

Comment

Gremlin 'body' used for dirt track modified. The #31 was a Grant King built car originally sold to Billie Harvey. Grant King was famous for building Indy cars, sprint cars, and even the #92 Ford Torino Pikes Peak car.

Name:	Grant King #31 Gremlin.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	79494

Name:	billy-harvey-grant-king-gary-balough.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	79493

Comment

• Rastas
            Rastas commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm sure one of the members of 3D forum would be able to make a 3d file for that or similar.

I downloaded this hot rod file awhile ago thinking about some sort of racer out of it, using the slicing and scale and cut ! Lol another one I put on the back burner.

Comment

Originally posted by Racer1h View Post
            Finally finished 4 Can Am car projects that have been in the works for a while.
            Costello #75, Stinger #22, Webster Special #6, Burnett Special #5.......3D printed bodies, chassis, guides...all slot it sidewinder pods.
            Wow, you are really putting together the definitive group of Can Ams - what a great project - and a great collection!

I am working on a scratch built 3D project also - I started a thread on it in the Oval Track section:

1/32 VINTAGE ASPHALT MODIFIED COUPE 3D PRINTED -

Name:	cj-coupe-angle.jpg
Views:	581
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	79650

For those that missed it because it isn't the 3D section, check it out:

https://www.hrwforum.com/forum/hrw-a...upe-3d-printed

Take a look, leave a post, make a comment, do a like - whatever it is we do on the new board.

NYMODIFIEDS.COM

Comment

Will you be interested in making that available for downloade in the future, once finished? I'd definitely pay for the files!
              brilliant work!
              rastas.

Comment

• Vintage 1/24
                Vintage 1/24 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks - I don't think I will be selling 3D models or files though.

Basically want to finish this one up, it has been sitting around far too long.

Originally posted by cjperry81 View Post

That would an awesome Proxy. I'm a long time AMC fan and I honestly just like to see unique stuff that arent the same as what everyone else has. This will be my first build so hopefully its smooth sailing. Assuming it all works out, longer term I have definitely been eye balling some Pacer bodies, and I'd love to see what can be done with the 3 wheel reliant coming out.

Not 3D related, but I scratch built up this Pacer 1/24 scale racer for the local track. So I have to post this now.

This one was inspired from a photo I saw posted online. There was a moment in time when ‘head shops’ could be found in Shopping Malls all over America, Cheech and Chong movies were mainstream, and a time where Easy Wider rolling paper sales grew to 10 times what they were only a decade before in 1968. This car was sort of an homage to that moment in history

SCCA PACER -

Name:	Pacer-SCCA.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	80034

It was an actual SCCA racer in its day - and although the AMC pacer gets little to no love today, it is actually pretty good on paper if you think about it. It was advertised as one of the widest American cars for sale in the mid to late 70s, except it sat on a very short wheelbase. Like its stablemate, the Gremlin, it really was a world away from the Ford Pinto and the Chevy Vega. The Pacer, the Gremlin, the Hornet, and even the last of the two seater AMXs in 1970, all shared the same robust full-size car front suspension, heavy duty rear end, and factory V8 power! Sporting 304 cubic inches, one wonders what might have been had the Pacer or Gremlin been offered with the top performing 401 CID version of the shared block American motors V8?

MORE SCCA PACERS IN THE PITS -

Name:	Pacer-SCCA-2.JPG
Views:	518
Size:	259.4 KB
ID:	80035

This is really quite a sight - who knew this was going on?

WIDER, EZ WIDER -

Name:	Pacer_01.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	80040

I felt the ultra short wheelbase and the extreme width of the Pacer body might afford me an unfair advantage on the 8’ by 16’ slightly banked oval track.

STREET STOCK ONE CUT WOMP -

Name:	Pacer_04.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	80039

I built this one to race at South Shore Speedway in the street stock class. The rules at that time dictated a one-cup Womp based chassis, Super 16D motor and 1 inch tall tires (I think the minimum is .940 to allow for wear, Trueing, tuning, etc.). The class is for American made V8 rear wheel drive cars, and includes pony cars. I feel this one just squeaks in. At the time they allowed it.

UNFAIR ADVANTAGE -

Name:	Pacer_05.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	80036

I wanted to situate the weight on the chassis very low. Typically I would end up adding a lot of lead to my street stock chassis - this time it would be different. I cut a large brass plate with a left side offset and let it hang as low as the rules would allow. Thinking I would build the weight in.

LOW RIDER -

Name:	Pacer_02.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	80041

I acid etched an engraved "Vintage 1/24" logo to the bottom plate - this time the skeleton flashes a peace sign. I made up all the decals and tried to include some that fit the spirit of the build. If you look closely you can probably make them out. I also made up a ‘diaplane type’ front spoiler out of laminated Paper.

FULL WIDTH SPOILER -

Name:	Pacer_03.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	213.5 KB
ID:	80038

This car is a little horsey and unrefined, but it had to compete in a rough and tumble class where cars take a hard beating - amongst its peers it looked pretty good or good enough.

REAR FISHBOWL -

Name:	Pacer_06.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	80037

I worked up all the decals, and the car got a lot of smiles from people of a certain age that. At some point with the short wheelbase and weight it began to really dominate the class - after which it was banned.

Anyway I think someone could make more faithful replicas of the SCCA Pacers and actually have some pretty effective slot cars. The Pacers were wide, and the short wheelbase can help them get around.

NYMODIFIEDS.COM

Comment

• chappyman66
                chappyman66 commented
                Editing a comment
                Fun and interesting build.

• cjperry81
                cjperry81 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for sharing! I love this thing. Im all about the dare to be different stuff. Aesthetically that stance is killer. This gremlin is going to be my first build so it will be fairly cookie cutter in terms of chassis, but I plan on making some mold of this body when I get it, so I can really try out some different looks and hopefully build one to race locally. A trans am inspired Pacer will be second on my list. Your post has me pretty fired up to make one!

That's cool man, thanks for posting it and the chassis shot. Love the plate

Comment

One more hijack, then back to the thread. I probably should post these in a proper build thread - and maybe I will at some point? - but here goes:

The Gremlins keep coming up - the SCCA type cars have been suggested, and the later Dirt Modifieds have been brought up. For me it is about the low slung Asphalt Modifieds.

4.5" FCR BASED MODIFIED GREMLIN -

Name:	76_Gremlin02.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	80309

I have run this car around and people seem to really like this low slung vintage asphalt mod - and frankly that is why I like these Modifieds so much myself - Vintage asphalt Modifieds were just soo low, soo powerful, the tires were soo wide, and the big blocks were soo loud, well you get the idea - these were just extremely cool racers in their day that had a look all their own. The Modifieds just captured my imagination and attention when I was a kid watching the races at Islip Speedway.

MORE UNFAIR ADVANTAGE -

Name:	76_Gremlin05.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	80310

I picked this subject looking for a competitive edge with two main ideas in mind. First off, I went with this particular Gremlin because it just sat sooo low, was sooo mean - it looks like the actual car. Look at those rear wheels - cut well *above* the belt line, the top of the door. It sat low, but with the little upswing on the roof it made the minimum roof height requirement for our slot car class.

Secondly, the rear overhang was minimal - the Gremlin was just a chopped off Kamm back kind of design, and I was thinking the tucked in rear bumper would make it easier to keep the tail in line in the all-important turns.

DRIVING AMBITION -

Name:	76_Gremlin04.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	80311

I had this AMC Gremlin body sitting around in a box for probably 20 years - it was just a shell - just a body that had been cut up by some one at some time. I feel it most likely started life as a Pro Stock kit. I had picked up a few model body shells and 'glue-bomb' built-ups with an idea they would make good Modified fodder. So this whole car was sourced from parts from my own model car junkyard - the hood was donated to me by a fellow racer - and it looked pretty close to what I needed - so not a lot of styrene work and it was ready to go.

PROFILE SHOT -

Name:	76_Gremlin10.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	80312

The model is sporting the nymodifieds.com Wide-5 wheel inserts - they look pretty cool and hefty in the big 5/8" hub (27mm tire) Pro Tracks.

NYMODIFIEDS.COM

Comment

• cjperry81
                  cjperry81 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would kill to see a build on these cars. I love the ride height! Id definitely like to do something like this long term. What a killer gremlin!

• 32lbking
                  32lbking commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That one is definitely a beauty!
              Working...
              X
              UA-149438709-1