Curing resin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curing resin

Jusr for something to do I took a batch of used wash liquid and stuck it under a 3 foot fluorescent grow light that my wife uses for her bedding plants. I am going to see if or how long it takes to solidify the resin that is floating in the wash.

Has anyone else tried grow lights for curing?

Cheers

Dan

Never gave it a thought. I just use resin that cures in the time frame I want. Thin castings always take longer than thick castings, because they don't generate as much heat in the curing process. Resin does cure faster if your mold is pre-heated, I have never done that with anything but clear resins.
    Matt B
    So. In
    Crashers

Comment

From what I've read I wouldn't expose your cleaning liquids to UV until the resin has settled to the bottom (could take a week) the reason being you'll end up with a jar of jelly. I've always left mine sitting for as long as possible then carefully pouring off the clear liquid (IPA in my case) and wiping the resin residue out with blue roll.

Comment

• mattb
        mattb commented
        Editing a comment
        Kevin these comments are over my head. What cleaning liquids are you referring to? Why would use UV on cleaning liquids? What clear liquid do you pour off? I've done a lot of resin casting and am lost with those comments.

• Barc 1
        Barc 1 commented
        Editing a comment
        The Resin set up in a couple of hours under the grow lights, and I was able to remove it from the bottom of the container in a solid piece. So the answer is grow lights do have enough UV to cure resin. My wife has 6 shelf’s with grow lights she uses to start her bedding plants. Until that time these racks have become curing stations,LOL.

Just use Smooth-On here. No need for anything. Not in a hurry really. About 30 mins and good to go. Even in the dark. It's the activator level not light.
      -Harry

Comment

• Barc 1
        Barc 1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I was going to change the heading to include 3D printing resin, but that would make it worse for you, 😊. I should have been clearer as if you are just entering the forum through the lastest posts, sometimes the location of the post gets lost. Be there done that.

• HomeRacingWorld
        HomeRacingWorld commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL no my fault...I should have read where was is was too ha!!!

• Kevan
        Kevan commented
        Editing a comment
        Smooth on do make products specifically for 3D print use, maybe not in the resin printer but post processing.
    Working...
    X
    UA-149438709-1