Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4 Can Am/Group 7 cars I thought I would never have!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Can Am/Group 7 cars I thought I would never have!

4 Can Am/Group 7 cars I never thought I would have and race:

All 3D printed, sidewinder.

#15 Mckee MC14, #5 Webster Special, #23 Nissan R382, #7 Burnett MK3

Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC1857.JPG Views:	44 Size:	4.46 MB ID:	37500Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC1856.JPG Views:	44 Size:	4.66 MB ID:	37494Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC1852.JPG Views:	45 Size:	4.48 MB ID:	37496Click image for larger version  Name:	_DSC1853.JPG Views:	44 Size:	4.32 MB ID:	37499
    Just interesting:
    These cars are all 3D printed…which led me to fiqure out what I saved printing vs
    Buying parts. I kept track of what I printed on one roll of filament ($20) with a
    Printer that cost around $200.
    Slot Car Bodies – 10 printed – $20.00…. $200.00
    Deep Guides – 16 printed - $5.00 ………..$80.00
    Chassis – 12 printed - $8.00………………….$96.00
    Wheels – 5 sets printed - $10.00………….$50.00
    Pods – 11 printed - $9.00…………………….$99.00
    Inserts – 8 sets printed – $3.00…………...$24.00
    Fiqures – 24 printed - $3.00……………..…$72.00
    Bleachers, motors, misc scenic items….$100.00
    Total….$675.00
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Racer1h; May 16, 2020, 07:58 PM.

What type of filament did you use?

Comment

Steve, those are cool man!

my cousins stopped thru with their beast Mustangs,
      and all masked up we talked drags,
      for sure more about and always CanAm.
      they checked out all the bodies, and they said those things are free for what that printer cost!

its doing me another 24 Shadow MKII at the moment.

even so, your commendable work is out there buddy!
      keep at it,
      Thanks!

Comment

Kevan, I use....some of us run Inland pls+,
        And it had been sold out, was going to try Hatchbox, but last time I looked they were shutdown, sold out on the web as well.
        i am running eSun cool white pla+
        because it was available
        and I read that it is what I really was running....
        it is running very nicely.

Comment

Steve....#23 is a Nissan R382....not a Toyota (for which I am still lusting, but now working on)

Anyway......absolutely spectacular work to bring to life cars that are or never will be available otherwise. A real CanAm field indeed! And they will run with everything except the new TS cars.....

But yes.....my printer was my best slot car investment. Not sure there are any other investments in this hobby, really.....those Ninco Harrods McLarens aren't going to $150 nowdays.
          I can easily say that I have printed well over $200 in bodies at $10 each, chassis and pods and wheels and inserts are innumerable, several dozen guides.....
          A roll of $20 PLA goes a LONG way.
          And I know you did well more than 24 figures....probably 10X that number (although that's another roll of filament).

My 3D printer is easily my favorite tool, with my Dremel right there behind it.
          Come Race at The Trace!
          Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

Comment

I'm still on my first roll of PLA, started 3D printing 3 or 4 weeks ago, printed a couple of bodies and over a dozen of my own design chassis all in PLA. It's good material to use but can break if you print it too thin. I'm loving the design side, I use Fusion 360 and tonight after a recommendation downloaded and installed Autodesk 123 Design which is a watered down Fusion 360 which I'll probably stick with.

What I love is the ability to make something from nothing, it's scratch building in a new medium, you start with a datum point and the rest develops right before your eyes.

You say you printed guides, were these your own design or from Thingiverse? I'm finding I'm running out of bought stuff to make cars up, printing guides is an obvious thing to do as long as they're tough, I use Slotingplus nylon ones which are tough as old boots.

Comment

I’m using Kodak PLA Tough seems to work great and it’s suposed to be stronger as the name implies
              Realy nice work on those cars

Comment

I print with PLA.....have done a ton of quides (from thingivers) and raced with them a lot, never had one break.

Comment

Yes Chappy.....best investment in the hobby I ever made.....printed about 300 fiqures, also built 26 Can Am cars, and another 12 from other classes, not to mention all the great interaction with other slot racers worldwide that are printing.
                  Last edited by Racer1h; May 16, 2020, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Racer1h - You should do a post showing each of your CanAm creations. I know they are scattered all over here....but showing the whole field is really pretty impressive.....
                    Come Race at The Trace!
                    Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN

Comment

Originally posted by Racer1h View Post
                      I print with PLA.....have done a ton of quides (from thingivers) and raced with them a lot, never had one break.
                      Are you printing the guides with 100% infill?

Comment

I use 30% infill on everything.

Comment

These are outstanding. I must say that I am envious that you fellows are able to produce your favorite cars yourselves. WOW!

Comment

Great builds on those unique cars.
                            Huge fan of all your work Mate

Cheers
                            NimROD

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            UA-149438709-1