Resin mixture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resin mixture

I was painting a resin Ferrari 512 when it popped out of my paint clip and fell to the concrete. Happy to say the body bounced and suffered no damage,

i am now using Sirya tech blue cut with 20% elegoo Abs like resin. This combo is really working well. Just thought I would pass this info along. I suspected it was a durable mix but the fall to the concrete today proved it.
    Cheers

Dan
    G.P Alberta

Cool! Good to know. It will make me rethink buying a resin printer.

Comment

Why are you adding Abs-like? That would weaken the siraya Blu... but you'd see the surface finish.
      Kevan - Isle of Man
      Life is like a box of Slot cars...πŸš“πŸš—πŸššπŸšœ

Comment

The Blue I picked up on sale is clear. I don’t like clear, so mixing in 20% grey Abs makes it opaque , which I like. Also it lowers the viscosity of the blue which helps with respect to temperature required for printing and detail.
        Cheers

Dan
        G.P Alberta

Comment

Got a source for that Ferrari 512 and are the windows open or closed?

Comment

The Ferrari 512 was a file I bought on either 3d export, or 3d printables. It came with windows in place and I needed to modify the file to get it slotcar worthy. Thin some areas, support in others..
            Cheers

Dan
            G.P Alberta

Comment

https://pt.3dexport.com/3dmodel-ferrari-512-297886.htm
              Come Race at The Trace!
              Timberline Trace International Raceway - SW of Mpls, MN
              https://cults3d.com/en/users/chappyman662/creations

Comment

Hey Dan, how does this resin combo mixture hold up to things like drilling/tapping screw holes for body posts?

Chet

Comment

• Kevan
                  Kevan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Blu is one of the better resins for drilling/tapping but the thread doesn't grab the screw like plastic does so after threading I'd advise smearing some superglue in the threads.

Instead of using the resin body to thread a screw, use a brass threaded insert.

Comment

Printing body posts with the chassis on an fdm printer in pla or petg is best.
                  Kevan - Isle of Man
                  Life is like a box of Slot cars...πŸš“πŸš—πŸššπŸšœ

Comment

I printed a few 1/32 bodies from prints I purchased. I didn't make any modification and they printed fine. I used a mixture of Siraya Tech, 70% ABS like and 30% tenacious which is really flexible and not sure if it needs to be. The supports take a lot of time to remove and most have to be cut because they won't easily snap off like out of the bottle std resin.
                    I was thinking about 80/20 for the next print to see if that has a little bit more rigidity, it may just have been thin walls of the file. Any recommendations from more those more experienced?
                    Brad
                    Ayton, ON Canada

Comment

• Kevan
                      Kevan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I've moved away from Abs-like resins, I add 10% in with Blu/Tenacious only as a colouring agent. Blu on its own is great but I add 20% Tenacious to add some flex. So my mix is mainly Blu.
                      Real world track testing and crashing or being T-boned into a wall will tell you if you're mix is tough enough for the job.
                      I print a lot of bodies for customers, cutting out supports is the bit I hate doing.
                      ...what I hate more is having to reprint smashed bodyshells!

• Brad_T
                      Brad_T commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Kevan
                      So your mix is:
                      10% ABS or any resin for colour.
                      70% Blu
                      20% Tenacious
                      I appreciate you sharing this.

• Kevan
                      Kevan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes...for now anyway

I have been using β€œ clear Blu” 90% Abs grey 10%. Much better than standard resin, but not anywhere near as tough as a styrene or an FDM PTEG shell.

I had one crack this morning after a heavy crash into the wall

I am going to try brushing some modge podge on the inside of the shells to try an make them more durable. If that doesn’t work Maybe I will try smearing silicone inside the shell.
                    Cheers

Dan
                    G.P Alberta

Comment

• Brad_T
                      Brad_T commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Dan
                      I have your mixture noted from one of your posts and did make a note about the resiliency test. I have a couple of larger bodies that I expect will have additional weight which may be an issue if crashed hard.
                      I'll let you know how my experimenting goes, I purchased a few different resin types based on recommendations in this forum.

• Kevan
                      Kevan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's a fact, FDM is tougher but you have to give up finish quality so as with everything there's a compromise.
                  Working...
                  X
                  UA-149438709-1