Tire Rot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Rot

Over the years I have experienced an occasional tire rot. Specifically a Paul Gage urethane tire will just start to degrade, turning soft and mushy. I never seems to be two tires on the same car, but just a single tire goes bad. Last year I lost six tires on various cars. Does anyone know what causes this? A friend of mine is also complaining about a few of his tires going bad recently.

Hey Jeff,

I haven't had any issues with my Paul Gage tires, although plenty of other brands seem to have had certain batches that would either leach oil (Fly and Sloter), deform and melt (Revell-Monogram), get rock hard (Scalextric, Fly, and Carrera), or get chalky white, dry out, and crumble (Scalextric).

Sorry I can't help with this issue, but it's good to see you on here. I was just telling Marcus the other day that once this Covid situation is under control I'd like to get together and do some racing with you.

Stay safe and Happy New Year to you and Donna!

Steve

PS - I sure miss those green chile pork burritos!

Team SCANC
    Woodland Trace Raceway - SlotZuka - Bent Tree Raceway
    OFI - Buena Vista Motorsports Park - Slotkins Glen
    Leadfinger Raceway

Comment

• waaytoomuchintothis
      waaytoomuchintothis commented
      Editing a comment
      OMG, I love those. I fell in love with one thing during my 11 years in Texas, and Texican cuisine is it. I learned wonderful things from Mamasita (I found her when I fixed an oven), and even more recipes from neighbors who were native Texans who loved me for being from Tennessee- They do remember the Alamo in Texas.

• Kemtronracer
      Kemtronracer commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Steve, I've upped my game with the green pork burritos as I now smoke the pork in my Kamado Joe. Brings it to a whole other level. Please check your email, Steve.

• Fast Co.
      Fast Co. commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds delicious Jeff! We’ll have to get together as soon as COVID is under control. Stay safe and say hi to Donna, your daughter, and granddaughter.

Originally posted by Kemtronracer View Post
    Over the years I have experienced an occasional tire rot. Specifically a Paul Gage urethane tire will just start to degrade, turning soft and mushy. I never seems to be two tires on the same car, but just a single tire goes bad. Last year I lost six tires on various cars. Does anyone know what causes this? A friend of mine is also complaining about a few of his tires going bad recently.
    Hi Kemtronracer
    Are your cars/tires exposed to any direct sunlight or UV light? I have heard this might be the cause and because it only seems to be happening to you on one side all of the time this leads me to believe this may be the issue you and some others are having.

Cheers
    KK

Comment

Did they turn a nice red goo? If so those are xpg tires which are a softer shore and a prone to do that. If there the standard pg tires then that the 1st I heard of them doing that

Comment

I haven't experienced this with any of the Paul Gage shore 30 or shore 40 that I have had on some cars for 7 years. I have a few pair of XPG but those were not installed and are still look like new. The other new tires I have are boxed or bagged out of the sun but have made no special storage arrangements other than that.

Comment

I just had my 1st pair go bad also. Never happened to my PG tires before and I've been using them for 8 yrs. Happened sometime over the last year as I haven't raced this car.
          Dave
          Saginaw Valley Raceway
          Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

I use XPG and have had about 6 pair fail in the last year. Both tires turn red, split and get mushy. Had 1 pair just starting to get soft and hadn't split yet so I ran it, oh what great grip they had, lol.

Harry

Comment

Not too long ago I picked a Carrera Dodge Avenger out of the drawer that hadn't been used for a while to take it for the nights racing and it went well on the practice laps so I opted to use it in one of the heats. (We're allowed to use a different car on each of the 3 lanes). The car started well but one of the tyres split and rolled off the hub about 2mins through the heat. Now it has NSR tyres mounted on it and when removing the other PG tyre it was kind of crumbly too. Don't recall how long they had been on the car though.
              Last edited by Wobble; January 9, 2021, 04:31 PM.

Comment

This issue was reported several years ago, if I recall correctly only the soft compound tires had that problem. I have seen the same problem with another make of urethane tires, but those were over six years old and had been in storage. If the tires had been on a car that was run a lot they would have worn out and been replaced long before the problem appeared. Did the tires turn red?

Comment

• Wobble
                  Wobble commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep, I forgot to add that mine had started to go a reddish quite translucent kind of look. Definitely not black opaque.

As most know I run kids races when it is permitted. I can have 60 - 70 kids lined up to race.
                3 minutes of practice and then a crash and burn.
                The kids watch to see which cars are fastest and which cars win their heats.
                The cars can be used for 40 - 50 heats in an afternoon.
                What I learned, the tires, natural rubber, get heated because the kids only know one speed and then they cool between heats.
                These cars have a tendency to get oily, slick, and hard tires. I use a lot of rubber tires. My self made urethane tires seem to hold up the best.
                My two Cents.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies everyone. To answer some of the questions, my cars are not stored where they will be in any sunlight and yes the tires do turn into a reddish goo. From what I gather this seems to be a problem with the shore 20 urethane compound. I guess it's the price you pay for tires that work. I've tried shore 40 tires and found they are OK for slower cars, but they slide too much with faster motors. I still have some new XPG tires still in the bag and they are just a tad sticky.
                  Last edited by Kemtronracer; January 9, 2021, 09:25 PM.

Comment

We have PG tires PGT not the softer XPG, go light orange or transparent and turn to goo. Some do and some dont, we have no knowledge of the conditions or why they change. Some were in proxy races, some are only run minimal at our track. Some are mounted on cars and cars are in storage container and turn to goo. It may be tires made about 1 or 2 years ago. we thought it ight be a change of formula being used.we also see occasional carrera tire get gooy and scay tire get hard and crack. We do have high humidity, not never hot or cold.
                    Last edited by lance; January 10, 2021, 03:36 AM.
                    Lance Sofa racer

Comment

How many of you glued your tires to the wheel? I had a set of tires start cracking and splitting in just a couple of weeks. They were glued to the wheels with CA glue, It could be a chemical reaction with the rubber.
                      Butch

Comment

• Kemtronracer
                        Kemtronracer commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I usually glue with clear nail polish; if that doesn't hold, then I switch to super glue. I thought it might be the glue also, but I use the same glue on PGT tires and they seem to hold up forever. The XPG seem a bit sticky when new, like they haven't completely cured. I'm wondering if it's the cold winters as my cars are stored in an unheated basement.

The tires that I mentioned had been glued using Superglue. I just checked two cars with the harder compound Paul Gage tires that were done in mid 2015 and those are OK. I don't recall what I used to glue those tires, it may have been silicone.

Comment

Superglue for me. I have since switched to clear nail hardener.

Harry

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        UA-149438709-1