Rubber Tire Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rubber Tire Cleaning

Lots of good discussion in the PG Tire Cleaning thread, so let’s hear what everyone uses to clean rubber tires.

It would be best to use something that does not attack the rubber itself. The hitch is that there are many different rubber compounds, what has no effect on one may damage another. Complicating the situation is that some treatments may increase the grip of your tires. Water based cleaners, like Simple Green or Pine-Sol will remove the crud that builds up on rubber tires, but will not actually condition them.
    For a start look here https://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance to see what may damage natural rubber. In the past we thought that WD-40 would eventually cause some tires to come apart, but other tires that were never treated with it might do the same thing.

Comment

If you separate 'cleaning' from 'treating' then tape is what we use for cleaning. Lint rollers is another.

Besides water I'd say any other liquid is treating the rubber rather than cleaning it.

...I'll have to track down some Simple Green here in the UK to try...thanks RichD
      Last edited by Kevan; June 25, 2022, 05:25 PM.
      Kevan - Isle of Man
      Life is like a box of Slot cars...πŸš“πŸš—πŸššπŸšœ

Comment

I just remembered something I tried which worked well, glass cleaner spray (e.g. Windex)
        Kevan - Isle of Man
        Life is like a box of Slot cars...πŸš“πŸš—πŸššπŸšœ

Comment

I have these HO and 1/32nd scale tire cleaners that are 3D printed by Ed Bianchi. There are two 9 volt batteries in the base to power the car's motor. Put a few drops of soap solution on the cloth pad and run the motor for a few seconds to remove any sort of crud on rubber, silicone or urethane tires.

Comment

Working...
          X
          UA-149438709-1