PG Tire Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PG Tire Cleaning

I’m running PG urethanes on both 132 and 124 cars on an unpainted Carrera track. Wheels have the notches filled, the wheels are trued, tires are glued on with clear nail polish and are trued.

I have been cleaning them with rubbing alcohol. The grip is great for the following session. However, the next day or even latter the same day they are right back to reduced grip.

Are here any other treatments besides rubbing alcohol that will last longer?

Thanks.

Bruce

we just clean our tire ever run with stick tape.
    THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
    Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

Bruce,
      I do the same with the alcohol, I think that the alcohol slowly attacks the urethane composition, and after about a year of doing this the tires become really sticky and then basically fall apart. Paul make great tires! Please do not get me wrong, but I think that when you attack the structural integrity of the urethane? I still use and will continue to use Paul's tires as they work great! They really stick to the track until the surrounding dust on the track and the garage, then they attract the dust and stick to it! LOL
      Go to your favorite superstore and get lint rollers and roll the the tires after every heat, you will be surprised at how much they remove from the tires, and help keep the track clean!
      Happy Racing!

Marty
      T.R. Raceway
      Toms River NJ

Comment

I would not recommend using organic solvents of any sort on urethane tires. A solution of a good surface cleaner or dishwashing liquid will get the tires clean. Rolling the tires on sticky tape will quickly remove dust, but dust does not stick to urethane tires. When urethane tires are run on tracks with copper tape they can get coated with copper carbonate and lose grip. If you also run silicone tires on the track those will leave a sticky residue that can coat urethane tires and degrade their performance. If your urethane tires have lost grip you will have to clean them, if you find that you have to repeat the cleaning very often your track may need to be stripped down.

Comment

H2O

Comment

• Zcarfan
            Zcarfan commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly, works like a champ!

My 2 cents. Going on 6 yrs now with no ill effects on any of the tires. All PG tires..
          Dave

Dave
          Saginaw Valley Raceway
          Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

• lance
            lance commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice track. is it part of a club? It look like a painted carrera digital track. Watching the video, noticed the lap counter had 8 drivers, can you run 8 drivers or limited to 6?
            very nice layout.
            Last edited by lance; April 30, 2022, 01:39 PM.

• Broman62
            Broman62 commented
            Editing a comment
            BEAUTIFUL LAYOUT DW!!!!!

• slowshoes
            slowshoes commented
            Editing a comment
            Nicely done video and testing - and that is one beautiful layout!

Nice video and great looking track!
          appreciate you sharing the comparative lap times you see with the different cleaners.

Comment

Originally posted by JCIS4ME View Post
            Bruce,
            I do the same with the alcohol, I think that the alcohol slowly attacks the urethane composition, and after about a year of doing this the tires become really sticky and then basically fall apart.
            Agreed. I initially thought alcohol did not affect urethane but after I started seeing some degradation I checked chemical compatibility tables. Indeed: several sources indicate that urethane is "Moderately" affected by isopropyl alcohol. That is the second highest level of degradation used (1: " Little or no impact", 2: "Minor effect", 3: "Moderate effect" and 4: "Severe effect") so I took that as not good. I also looked at the effect Naphtha (lighter fluid) has, and on the same scale, that shows a 2 ("Minor effect"). So while it still has an effect, it is less than Isopropanol.

But water with a bit of detergent liquid is still the safest...

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSlab View Post

Agreed. I initially thought alcohol did not affect urethane but after I started seeing some degradation I checked chemical compatibility tables. Indeed: several sources indicate that urethane is "Moderately" affected by isopropyl alcohol. That is the second highest level of degradation used (1: " Little or no impact", 2: "Minor effect", 3: "Moderate effect" and 4: "Severe effect") so I took that as not good. I also looked at the effect Naphtha (lighter fluid) has, and on the same scale, that shows a 2 ("Minor effect"). So while it still has an effect, it is less than Isopropanol.

But water with a bit of detergent liquid is still the safest...
              Have you got a link to that compatibility table?
              Kevan - Isle of Man
              Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

"Urethane Chemical and Solvent resistance"

Cheers
                Chris Walker

Click image for larger version

Name:	01342FBA-2AF6-4638-ABBB-E6E5CC19F871.png
Views:	229
Size:	360.0 KB
ID:	160169

Comment

• JCIS4ME
                  JCIS4ME commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well what do you know?!?!?! BEER has little or no affect on urethane? Bartender another round for me and my tires! LOL
                  Marty
                  T.R. Raceway
                  Toms River NJ

Originally posted by chrisguyw View Post
                "Urethane Chemical and Solvent resistance"

Cheers
                Chris Walker

Click image for larger version

Name:	01342FBA-2AF6-4638-ABBB-E6E5CC19F871.png
Views:	229
Size:	360.0 KB
ID:	160169
                Awesome, thanks Chris 👍

There's some nasty chemicals there...with one notable food-safe item...Whiskey & Wine...I'm not a Whiskey fan at all so that bottle in the cupboard may get tested.
                Kevan - Isle of Man
                Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

Good information. I guess I’ll switch to a bit of soap and water instead of the rubbing alchohol on my PG tires from now on.

Comment

Lance, that is my home track. Haven't found the limit on the number of cars. Just did a proxy race and was running 7 cars at once. Did try it with 8 cars though. Looking at the amps while it was running, I could probably get away with 10 cars at once. That will never happen as its way too much traffic.
                    Dave
                    Saginaw Valley Raceway
                    Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Comment

Try 50 spf sunblock solution. Leave it on for about a minute, then wipe the residue off. You will be amazed at the increase in traction.
                      Stan S.
                      Newberg, OR
                      Autodromo Rossa Colline (Red Hills Raceway)

Comment

• docdoom
                        docdoom commented
                        Editing a comment
                        really? I thought that only worked on fish rubber???

• Kevan
                        Kevan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        On urethanes?

Well Stan does lives right in the middle of wine country. May have over indulged a little before posting.
                      THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      UA-149438709-1