Tire Razor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Razor

Click image for larger version  Name:	6E0CCE69-B2AA-4381-943F-1E53796E3BC7.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.28 MB ID:	13515

Santa brought me a Tire Razor (this thing is beefy!!) and I was wondering what you guys are using for a power supply. I have a Pyramid I’ll use for now but that will someday power my as of now unbuilt track, but I would like to have something cheap and smaller to use with the Tire Razor.

Going to start with some vintage foam tires that are way past their due date and see what happens!

Attached Files
    Last edited by Lou E; December 25, 2019, 10:36 AM.

Lou,
    I use a (relatively) cheap (~$100CAD) variable voltage 10A power supply I got on ebay (sorry no picture). I start by observing the amperage draw level then crank in some "down", sand the tire until the amperage goes back down to where it started, then repeat the process until I get to where I want. I wired up my Tire Razor with a switch I had kicking around from a teardown of something I acquired. I popped it into a 3D printed housing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tire_truer_switch.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	13527

Peter
    PetesLightKits

Comment

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU...SWEEEEEEEEET!!!!!! I agree that you do need some type of variable power supply to run your Razor...all types out there in different price ranges and voltages and amperages!!!! ENJOY THAT RAZOR!!!!
      TOM...HOME RACING GOO GOO!!!

Comment

What voltage does the motor run up to - and what amp draw?
        If it is the common RC 500 motor, it probably only needs 3 amp at 5 - 10 volts.
        Something like these are very cheap variable supplies. The 12 V max version can deliver 5 amps at 3 to 12 volts.
        https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-24V-1-5A-...72.m2749.l2649
        Last edited by LegOutOfBed; December 25, 2019, 10:03 PM.

Comment

I chose a 2 amp, 1.0 - 15.0 volt tattoo power supply for my Razor. I have done close to 500 sets of tires and never tripped the power supply circuit breaker. Paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $25 on EBay

Buster

Comment

Originally posted by LegOutOfBed View Post
            What voltage does the motor run up to - and what amp draw?
            If it is the common RC 500 motor, it probably only needs 3 amp at 5 - 10 volts.
            Something like these are very cheap variable supplies. The 12 V max version can deliver 5 amps at 3 to 12 volts.
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-24V-1-5A-...72.m2749.l2649
            Yes, it is a standard 540 motor. The power supply I use looks like this one. I run mine at 10 volts and, if I recall correctly, the free-wheeling amperage draw is about 0.5 Amps and when I turn the tires down and make contact it jumps up to about 0.8 Amps.

Peter
            Last edited by PetesLightKits; December 25, 2019, 10:16 PM.
            PetesLightKits

Comment

If you have an old train transformer with enough power, that can work. I use an Autopulse controller I got for my O gauge trains when I was a kid.

Comment

Low cost units on Ebay will do the job. 5 amp unit here for 4? 5? years?

Name:	supply.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	13579
                -Harry

Comment

Thank you all for your advice.

Comment

I went to walmart and bought their Powerline stepped variable voltage wall wart. It comes with a plug I didn't need so I cut it off and used alligator clips. The range is "USB-3-4.5-6-7.5-9-12v" at 1.3 amps. It's about $20

Comment

I use the same power supply as posted by HRW on my HUDY and it works great.

Comment

Originally posted by HomeRacingWorld View Post
                        Low cost units on Ebay will do the job. 5 amp unit here for 4? 5? years?

Name:	supply.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	13579
                        Harry, is that a mini cold saw you have there? You use that for brass work?

Zack

Comment

Yes sir. Harbor Freight is your friend
                          -Harry

Comment

OK, I guess I can do that.
                            -Harry

Comment

• JTK
                              JTK commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Thanks! Watched 'em both. 😎

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_4199.jpg Views:	4 Size:	209.9 KB ID:	13851 I have been using this one:

$18.98 from here: https://www.parts-express.com/3-12v-...upply--120-536

And Pete! Putting a switch ON the tire Tire Razor, genius!

Scott
                            Last edited by noddaz; December 28, 2019, 11:09 AM.
                            Why doesn't my car run like that?

Scott

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            UA-149438709-1