How long do tires last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do tires last?

Before they wear out? I would think rubber wear out first, but I don't know about urethane or silicone. Replacing tires on 30+ cars on a regular basis could get expensive. So, I have been doing some research on masking my own. I just don't know if the wear rate justifies such a move.

I personally have found that my rubber tires will melt or dry out long before they wear out unless you have a tire truing fetish
    The only set of tires that have worn out on me are NSR but theyโ€™re the old rubber mix and VERY grippy when good
    In most cases tires will last a long time for the average user
    When they donโ€™t I replace them with urethane and with over 300 cars I still have no desire to start casting my own
    Last edited by 4424ever; September 12, 2021, 11:25 PM.
    Dave
    Peterborough Ont
    CANADA

Comment

• Bal r 14
      Bal r 14 commented
      Editing a comment
      Over 300 cars!!! Wow!

one would have to take to account what kind of surface your running on 1st

THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
    Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

Yes, I should mention the surface. It is routed MDF, primed and painted with 3 coats of semi gloss latex and is very smooth. There is some slight texture caused by the paint roller, but it is pretty much gone from the tire paths.
      Last edited by Bal r 14; September 13, 2021, 12:19 AM.

Comment

if that case you should get great tire life.. you make need to give the tires a slight wet sand was in a blue moon or a drop of nsr tire oil to the rubber if you do not run the car much but that would be it really.
        THE other Vancouver aka Vancouver Washington across the river from keep Portland weird....
        Member NASTE (Northwest Association of Slot Track Enthusiasts)

Comment

• Bal r 14
          Bal r 14 commented
          Editing a comment
          I have switched to silicone. I mentioned rubber and urethane in case I feel that I should switch back.

I have never, ever worn out a set of silicones.

Comment

I terms of number of laps before wearing out I'd say some normal rubber tyres have the shortest life, then Urethanes, then other normal rubber tyres then.............................................. .................................................. ................................way over here we have Silicones.
          Kevan - Isle of Man
          Life is like a box of Slot cars...๐Ÿš“๐Ÿš—๐Ÿšš๐Ÿšœ

Comment

I must have too many cars or simply don't use what I have often enough as I don't have a track and we only meet once a week. I've had tyres on cars go hard, melt or split while waiting their turn and none that I can recall get worn out enough before replacing. If a new car doesn't have suitable grip they get replaced right away.
            Last edited by Wobble; September 13, 2021, 04:14 PM.
            Bram,
            CHCH NZ

Comment

depends. Track texture? plastic track or wood? wood with latex or wood with an additive? Area where you live, is it humid where rubber degrades quickly?
              if stock tires, they can last years, or last couple of months and get hard or soft and sticky, (carrera tires). scaly tires good for long time.
              if aftermarket tires, some rubber can last long or it can change and get too soft and ball up or show alligator pattern and loose traction.
              urethane, some manufactures tires turn red orange after about 1 year and turn gooey. another mnufacturer has pretty good durability.
              Dont know anything of silicon.
              Lance Sofa racer, SA TX by way of Hawaii

Comment

Been in this hobby 15 years โ€ฆโ€ฆ

I display all my cars, and put blocks under each which takes all the weight off the tires.

My intent was to eliminate flat spots, which by design or just good luck I have prevented.

Also the cars are not in direct sunlight and the track room is always a perfect 72 degrees

At this point the first cars of 15 years ago still run great on their Indy Grip - Max Professor Motor tires

Dundee Denny

Comment

Working...
                X
                UA-149438709-1