Long can motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long can motor

I can seem to find the dimensions on motors so I'll just ask. Does anyone have any long can motors and give me the length on it? Try to give it to me in inches, my caliper battery is dead so I have to use a ruler.
    Dave

Also other than the length is there any difference to the short can?
    Dave
    Saginaw Valley Raceway
    Only Rule: Just enjoy who you are racing with.

Dave, see if this helps

Comment

• 32lbking
      32lbking commented
      Editing a comment
      slothead, I'm seeing 1 1/4" if it's just the can length Dave is after.

• Kevan
      Kevan commented
      Editing a comment
      Can length 1.26" with a caliper
      Short can - 0.99" can length, same diam.

• slothead
      slothead commented
      Editing a comment
      I actually meant to write 1 3/16, but when I zoomed in on the photo I could see it was 1 1/4. I see the issue has been resolved.

I'm looking to see if I can slide a long can into the pod of a 1/24 Carrera. The pod is at 1 1/4" so it's probably doable. I got a motor in mind I want to try. Thanks guys.
    Dave
    Saginaw Valley Raceway

Comment

Dave, yes you can fit on in no problem. When we ran them at the store we were using the slot it flat 6 yellow can that the guys had taken out of their Sideways Group 5 cars.
      Mike
      Clover Leaf Racing 7746 Clyde Road Fenton MI 48430 U.S.A. 313-473-SLOT
      web site: https://cloverleafracing.com Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/cloverleafracing
      YouTube Chanel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CLR132slots?feature=watch

Comment

Long can motors have longer armatures and longer magnets. If the long can motors have large holes in the can they will add extra downforce on tracks with magnetic rails. Long armatures have a lot more mass and can take longer to spin up and in some cases power tends to come on with a bang compared to short can motors.

Comment

Originally posted by RichD View Post
          Long armatures have a lot more mass and can take longer to spin up and in some cases power tends to come on with a bang compared to short can motors.
          That's good to know, I guess I'll get just one to try out and see how it works in the twisties and thanks Mike for the info. Thx Rich
          Dave
          Saginaw Valley Raceway

Comment

They work Dave - you may have to do a bit of surgery on the screw holes to line them up or use a bit of Shoo Glue.
            I put one in my one of Carrera cars to see how it went. I then discovered Autoart motors for their 1/24 cars fitted nicely, ran at 12v and they were cheap. (Like $10 each) Those motors were about the same size as the stock motor.
            But then we all decided to run them stock at 18v so I have all my cars back to stock now.
            Dangermouse to the rescue.

Comment

I would not expect that there would be much magnetic downforce [probably none] from a slot it flat 6 motor. The can height measures a hair over 13mm on the flat 6, and an RMS motor can [ should be same as stock Carrera 18v can] measures 18.22mm high, so that would put the flat 6 an additional 2.6mm higher off of the track when mounted in the motor cradle. And D/124 cars have more ground clearance than 1/32nd cars to start with.
              The flat 6 that I have only has a cooling vent on one side of the can, and on the side with no vent there is no magnetic attraction. Not sure if they have changed the design to have vents on both sides now
              There would be plenty of room between the bottom of the can and surface of the chassis to put some lead sheet. Seems like maybe with a flat 6 [because the top of the can would also be 2.6mm lower than stock] and some lead sheet underneath the motor it might lower the center of gravity... Then again the Carrera D/124 cars are bricks to begin with, so maybe it wouldn't make any difference
              No idea on the height of other long cans [boxers, NSR, Scaleauto etc...]
              Randy

Comment

I'm running a Scale auto 23,000 no mag long can great . Inline JS Flex Chassis. NASCAR Proxy Entry.

Comment

Working...
                X
                UA-149438709-1