CA glue siphon warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA glue siphon warning

I’m sure this is old news to the veteran modelers, but wanted to warn other newbies. I usually transfer CA glue from the applicator tip to the parts using a toothpick, but yesterday I got careless and touched the applicator directly to the work. Barely a half drop was visible at the tip, but as soon as it touched the parts capillary action pulled 2 or 3 drops onto the work. Unfortunately I was attaching a mirror to the top of a windshield for a Porsche 910 open top car. Pretty much ruined an irreplaceable windshield. So never be so stupid, fellow newbies.

Harry, I wasn’t sure where to post this so please move it to the appropriate place.

Mike

Excellent! This is what HRW is all about. There is a product available for cheap that puts a tiny drop of CA on the part to be glued. Its called a Glue Looper, made by Creative Dynamic LLC. Works perfectly.

Comment

• dinglebery
      dinglebery commented
      Editing a comment
      Link to said device?

• Kevan
      Kevan commented
      Editing a comment
      Google is your friend, it's the first link in the google search.

• dinglebery
      dinglebery commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the search advice, I really needed to hear that... yep!
      I just ordered the tool - it looks like a great add to the arsenal! Thanks for sharing the knowledge waay...

Or use something like canopy glue.

Comment

i like tooth picks. pick up a drop then wipe off what you dont need and apply. but thats just me.i dont do a lot of fine detail work.

Comment

Try clear Gorilla glue, it dries clear and doesn't harm any surface
        Matt B
        So. In
        Crashers

Comment

I only use 2 glues now
          UV curing glue for clear parts like windows or parts that are "seen" (saw it on here about a year ago... You can get the hobby size kit on Amazon). It doesn't bite the substrate aggressively so will come apart (but survive most hits)
          Second glue
          There's a Loctite glue you can get about anywhere that dries clear and is flexible for smaller parts - G02. Seems to bite a little more than UV and remains flexible - and clean up easy when dried

Anything that digs into the substrate and cures rock hard is trouble (Like CA)

Comment

• Mickey thumbs
            Mickey thumbs commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ll have to check those out. Glue woes have haunted me since I first built a model as a kid.

Hi Mike

With the windscreen you could try polishing it with Tamiya fine polish or toothpaste and even a high grade wet and dry 2000+
          I foolishly applied the wrong cleaner to some windows on a Porsche 917 (don't ask how I did two at once) and they fogged up. After trying to cut out new ones from plastic sheet I ended up spending a bit of time polishing and they cleared up. They are crystal clear look more like they have a bit of race day grime on them but that suits the car anyway.

cheers
          David
          Dangermouse to the rescue.

Comment

• Mickey thumbs
            Mickey thumbs commented
            Editing a comment
            I used toothpaste and an automotive scratch remover polish to turn most of the damaged area into the race day grime look. Still one prominent spot but maybe more work will clean that up too. But I’ll always the see the mistake, especially if I take a picture of the car.. Learned a hard lesson and hope others can avoid it.

That leads me to a tip I use when finishing a body, especially one where I used putty. Sand, prime then take a picture with a phone or IPad. Repeat until photos no longer reveal defects. Then paint with light coat of final color, take a pic and wet sand, re-apply filler and paint some more

• GT40 Racer (DM)
            GT40 Racer (DM) commented
            Editing a comment
            I like your tip - I have also found a photo reveals more blemishes than the eye does - which you often only discover when you take a photo and share with others.....

I have a black exhaust pipe I need to glue back hopefully i can glue it back on. I have tried using the lock tight gel before on other parts but don't know how its going to work on the exhaust pipe.

Comment

• HomeRacingWorld
            HomeRacingWorld commented
            Editing a comment
            Well guys....I really, really advise using the UV glue. There is no hazing on glass and very strong. From bushings, to mirrors...it works a charm. Today I rarely use CA for anything. Maybe a very limited amount of applications.

UV glue in action. Skip to 3:00 mark

-Harry

Comment

When I use thin CA I apply it with a Microbrush. You can’t reuse them but the very tiny amount they hold is perfect for small parts. I got mine at Hobby Lobby. What’s nice is they have a handle built right in.
            Ken
            Evansville, IN

Comment

B7000 is the stuff I use, has a needle applicator and dries crystal clear, it's very similar to GS-Hypo cement.

Comment

Had a bottle of CA split on me the other day. Glued 3 fingers together. Used about a 1/4 can of lacquer thinner, then had to resort to Naphtha to get it all off. Good thing I had time to get it all off before my heat came up, could’ve been a sticky situation!
                Scott.....War Eagle River......Tampa, Florida, USA

Comment

Shoe Goo is one of my favorites. It's good for things that get knocked off like mirrors or wings and when they do come off, you just peel the residue off (which comes off pretty clean) and glue it again. I use to use it in place of double sided servo tape in RC... so in slot cars, it works well to attach digital chips to chassis & is relatively easy to pry off without damaging anything.

Going to give that UV glue a try.. never used it.

Comment

I’m liking what I see (or don’t see!) with the UV glue. Used it to attach a wiper to a windshield today. Thanks for the video, Harry.

Comment

Hey cool glad it helped. Just another option
                      -Harry

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      UA-149438709-1