Conversion from front motor to rear motor - help wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion from front motor to rear motor - help wanted

Maybe this topic has been covered before…
    I’m trying to convert over a car with a engine in front and a very long driveshaft connected with a spring to a motor in the rear - to a rear motor layout. Is there a link or a post that I can refer to that shows me how to do this?

What car/chassis are you looking to convert ??,....depending on the car, there are many 3D printed chassis that may allow you to install a motor pod,....instant rear wheel drive. This option, while costing more than the following options, is likely the easiest.

Again, depending on you current chassis, you also may be able to install a Slot-it/NSR/Scaleauto motor pod (cutting and drilling of your existing chassis will be required), or you could cut your existing chassis and glue your motor to the chassis plate. A scratchbuilt chassis is also an option,.....additionally, there are chassis available from PCS etc. etc., or, a chassis from another one of your cars......these options may all be easier than modifying your existing chassis.

Unfortunately, I do not know of any online tutorials to that will take you through the process.

If you are set on using your existing chassis, please post a couple of pics. and I (and likely others )will be happy to offer some help.

Cheers
    Chris Walker
    Last edited by chrisguyw; May 13, 2022, 08:52 PM.

Comment

I had a couple cars with front motors. I cut out the chassis and used slot.it and NSR motor pods, as Chris mentioned. I would add it wasn't worth the effort, so evaluate what you hope to accomplish first. There were other design and fitment issues that ended those cars in the trash.

Comment

Obviously a Fly car of some description.

If you're dead set on keeping the original chassis then you'll lose a lot of the interior, if you're not fussed about the interior then moving the motor is easy, you just need a motor mount or even easier glue it in place.

Failing that and preferentially, follow Chris's advice above.

Front motor mounted cars have floating front axles, best bet here is one solid axle running through bearings or in a 1/8" brass tube glued in place.

I can tell you you're about to enter a deep endless rabbit hole...and there's plenty of us down here
        Kevan - Isle of Man
        Life is like a box of Slot cars...🚓🚗🚚🚜

Comment

Here is what I am working with, a Carrera GTO

Like others have said, it might not be worth the effort, I just like GTO’s.

This was on my “I’ll get to it someday list”
          Last edited by Flounder; May 14, 2022, 11:33 AM.

Comment

There's a whole lot you can do to that, some involving keeping the plastic chassis.

Stage 1. Simple mod...glue the motor in the rear
            Stage 2. Glue a motor plate in place to fit the motor to
            Stage 3. Cut a hole in the chassis for a pod, SlotIt or NSR
            Stage 4. 3D chassis (just had a quick look, couldn't find one)
            Stage 5. Simple multi-car metal chassis like a Penelope Pitlane
            Stage 6. Make a brass/wire chassis

GTO's are cool, I keep looking for one but they always sell for daft money so I stick to looking 😁
            Kevan - Isle of Man

Comment

If you want to keep the car's interior as is you do not have any good options, and not many bad options either. There just does not appear to be adequate clearance for a motor immediately in front of the rear axle.

It looks like you have some options behind the rear axle. There appears to be space to install an inline motor back there if you make cuts in the rear of the chassis. Trouble is, it may not work any better than the original front-motor setup, and could very well be worse. Correcting the weight distribution of the car will require lots of weight in the front. Ugly. Just ugly.

With considerably more work you might be able to fit a sidewinder setup behind the rear axle. Probably a bit better solution than an inline setup, but that's not saying much.

I have had at least one front-motored car that actually performed pretty well, which surprised and puzzled me. Usually they are dogs. Maybe with some carefully applied weights and other tweaks you could get your car running fairly well with the motor where it is. Otherwise I'd sacrifice at least some of the interior and go for a more conventional drive setup.
              Last edited by HO RacePro; May 14, 2022, 08:16 PM.
              Ed Bianchi
              York Pennsylvania USA

Comment

The cars I converted were a Scalextric Aston Martin and Fly car I bought used and don't recall what it was. The Aston Martin was too narrow, has odd size wheels and the front wheel ride height is way off. I spent a ton and never got it to work right. I scrapped it for parts. The Fly car was easier, but still a failure. I used a slot.it sidewinder pod that I was able to fit by cutting up the chassis and the rear of the interior. But, it left me with no good place for a body mount or weight. It never performed well enough to keep. Another parts car.

Comment

It's all part of the learning process, when I look at some of my 'tuning' efforts and cars now unusable it makes me cringe. You can't go wrong with a pod and new body mounts.
                  Kevan - Isle of Man

Comment

Does anyone have results of a front- vs. rear-motor comparison, all else being as equal as possible? Does it make much practical difference?

Comment

• Bal r 14
                      Bal r 14 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It definitely improves balance and traction. But, you are starting out with a very poor performing car with lots of flaws. So, anything is an improvement.
                  Working...
                  X
                  UA-149438709-1