No announcement yet.

How do I get rid of high pitched whine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get rid of high pitched whine?

I have one car that emits a high pitched whine that is so bad, I can't use the car. I have tried a number of combinations of pinions and spur gears, plastic and metal, to no avail. It is a sidewinder. I am hearing impaired, so it doesn't bother me much, but anyone else within earshot complains. I assume it has to be something with the gear mesh. Any hints?

Are you sure it is the gear mesh? Sidewinder gearing usually produces very little sound when the gears are meshed properly - is there a very slight amount of movement of the spur gear while holding the pinion still?. Have you tried running the motor only? Maybe it is something in the motor bushings. Does the car use grub screws to maintain axle ride height? Cars with those can generate a squeal from the metal on metal contact. Try changing one thing at a time - motor, rear bushings, front bushings, pinion gear, spur gear.
    PetesLightKits

Comment

• Austin
      Austin commented
      Editing a comment
      I found it is most likely the motor.

I had a high pitched whine at one time. I divorced it.

Do what Pete said. I'd try oiling the front bushings first.
    Butch Dunaway
    Oxford, Ohio

Comment

• steeveew
      steeveew commented
      Editing a comment
      😂😂😂

• waaytoomuchintothis
      waaytoomuchintothis commented
      Editing a comment
      Did it sound like this? "IthoughtweweregoingtoMiami!"

• Pappy
      Pappy commented
      Editing a comment
      Exactly like that. LOL

I've had motors that did that and it never went away until I crushed them with a BF hammer. I think it has something to do with harmonics but I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Expresss last night so beats me.
    I can't hear it now, I have tinnitus and it produces very loud jet engine getting ready for takeoff sounds in my ears 24-7. A little motor whine and pursuing police sirens don't bother me a bit anymore .
    Allan

Comment

• Bal r 14
      Bal r 14 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I prefer being hearing impaired. It's usually very peaceful. Motor whine and police sirens don't bother me either. The BF hammer idea is getting very attractive, for the whole car.

More than likely it is how the motor mount was made and the distance between the pinion and motor is off. You can open up the mount some and move the motor position.

Comment

• Bal r 14
      Bal r 14 commented
      Editing a comment
      I tried that already. I suspect the model is very old (Fly Renault 5) and the chassis is very brittle. It cracked in several places when I took the motor out.

What?
    Matt B
    So. In
    Crashers

Comment

I am beginning to suspect the hardness of the chassis is a major source of the whine. The car does not have a motor pod. I am trying to modify a Fly Renault 5 turbo to compete with an NSR Fiat Abarth. I thought it would be fun to have a few cars in this class to race against each other. It may have been a lot smarter to just buy a couple more NSR Fiat Abarths. I have some poor performing Carrera, Fly and Scalextric models that have really neat bodies that I can't resist trying to make them perform like NSR cars. Too much time on my hands and not enough brains!

Comment

Look into a 3D printed chassis that will take a motor pod. ANY pod car will handle better and tune easier than a non-pod car.

Comment

• Bal r 14
          Bal r 14 commented
          Editing a comment
          I will probably build a brass chassis. I may buy a slot.it pod to use with that chassis.
      Working...
      X
      UA-149438709-1